All the King's horses.

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Lilly-Rose McAllister

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:01 pm

All the King's horses.

Lilly-Rose McAllister, pale blue lights on a dim screen filled with codes and numbers. Better to monitor until she woke up, it had been decided. After the aftermath of Fox’s death it had been decided it was best to sedate her, at least until they could get her up to Ramirez’s space station and settled in a nice, comfortable private bed. ‘Anything she needs’, he had said and the good Doctor (and Rosalind) had taken him up on that. It was quiet and it was still, her own private room with lights down low to allow her to rest, and the atmospheric controls set to cool to keep her comfortable.

After a thorough check over it was of professional opinion that her biggest problem was lack of adequate rest and loss of fluids. Her wounds were easy to treat, the gunshot wound that had hit her shoulder was expertly seen to, sewn and passed through the dermal mender to leave just tender skin in its wake. Easier still were the wounds in the crook of her arm and her thighs and so only an airy gauze was wrapped around each thigh, covering the dissolvable sutures that covered the small puncture wounds and a plaster over the damage on her arm. After a check of her vitals it had been decided that the best course of action was to take her off the sedative, let her sleep naturally and wake when her body was ready to do so.

It was late in the evening, the work force had long turned in so that the ghost shift could begin. The doctors no longer needed to monitor the patient, besides the influx of her crew allowed them a breather and to focus on more urgent matters that had been brought to light via the crews that had come to aid them. Rosalind had already turned in, intending to get an early start in the morning. While her physical wounds had been somewhat minor the darling companion still had more prominent concerns about her psychological health. It had been plain what the issue was, especially after speaking with Hal and the others about her habits but it shocked her that until now no one had really looked into the issue.

It was the sound of the station that first drew Lilly-Rose from the depths of the storm that had been so tumultuous in her heart. The noise wasn’t right, she was no mechanic or engineer, she couldn’t tell you the difference between a nut and a washer but there was certainly something that didn’t sound right. As her senses began to shake off the thick, heavy feeling she realised something didn’t –feel- right either. What was it? Her mind played all scenarios as fast as lightning strike, fluttering from one possibility to the next without a moment’s pause for the sluggish cerebellum to focus. It was clear, there was more information needed before she could decide what exactly was wrong. With a great amount of effort she forced open her eyelids, which rebelled and fell shut several times before relenting and remaining open.

Squinting in the half light she groaned quietly and attempted to move an arm, she wasn’t tied but there was something weighing it down. Blinking furiously to adjust her focus she turned her head to face the offending limb and fumbled weakly with the other arm to find the tube with her fingers and feel the needle shift a little in her arm. Her initial thought was one of blind panic, where was she? It was clear this wasn’t the Roisin. Her hand fumbled for the needle, her body still sluggish and unresponsive from whatever drugs they had had her on. The machine registered her raised heart rate and blood pressure, offering quiet pings that drew her attention to the screen and she stopped.

‘Vulpus...Fox...’ It was an echo which resounded deep in the depths of her mind, forcing her to stop her struggles and focus just on the sound of her own voice. ’Is he...?’ Another voice, Rosalind’s, whispered back. Then like a bulldozer it all came back, the fight at the power station, running to find Fox when she’d been told he had fallen, finding him... the memories of... the flashing of blasted debris and the whipping against her skin of the fallout. Hal’s voice, the desperate need to tell him she was okay but feeling trapped in her own skin, frozen in place by ghosts of the past that strangled her so viciously, trying to suffocate her voice and blind her from any light. She’d had something in her hand and then for a moment there was a dull distant ache.

Sighing she rolled back over, closing her eyes and wincing slightly at the pain in her jaw. What the hell had happened there? Hal had hit her, hard. She remembered it, although it was fuzzy and faded. A man in a mask, or was it Hal? Or was Hal the man in the mask? He’d said something before he hit her but she couldn’t hear him. What had she done? The tavern, vaguely she remembered getting back there, the relief of hearing Ramirez’s voice and then the heavy darkness that had settled.

Her mind fully caught up with the last few hours of her conscious thought she became acutely aware of a dampness on her face. She was crying, which on some deep and repressed level was a relief for mourning and grieving her dead loved ones was not something she’d yet to do –healthily anyway-, yet it bought her nothing but shame. No one could see, her free arm flopped over her eyes and her shoulders trembled ever so faintly in the dim glow of the displays. She had no strength to fight her grief into that unhealthy bottle of suppressed emotion so it flowed freely and silently down her cheeks.
~When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:11 pm

Re: All the King's horses.

Det reached the infirmary-level of the station. It was late… but it was the right time. He had received word that Lilly-Rose had experienced some form of ‘breakdown’ and harmed herself, beyond that he didn’t know the details… he didn’t need to… he just finished up the work on the port engine and saw the nacelle refitted. He had planned to make secure any further repairs and prepare to depart, pending Lilly’s decision on her offer from Ramirez, but now the Roisin Dubh was staying put for the duration.

He reached the nurses station, empty for the moment, although given the late hour it was not to be unexpected, the attendant staff possibly dealing with other patients. However, he was unfazed as he stepped behind the desk and checked the monitor, locating Lilly;s private room. He turned to the coffee pot on a hot-plate and poured two mugs.

‘Hey, what’re you doing here?’ a woman’s voice called behind him.

He turned to the exasperated nurse, fists on her hips, scowling at him. ‘I’m gettin’ coffee,’ he replied flatly.

‘Do you know what time it is?’

‘Three am,’ he said, keeping eye contact all the time.

The nurse’s eyes had to flick to the clock on the wall to check, seeing the digits flip from 2:59 to 3:00. ‘You shouldn’t be here, you shouldn’t be behind that desk. You’ll have to leave or I’ll call security.’

Det shrugged as he stepped from behind the counter with the two mugs. ‘I’m goin’ to check in on my crew-member,’ he said softly. ‘You wanna bring security down on me, you’ll probably end up treatin’ a couple o’broke jaws.’

The nurse’s mouth flopped open as he passed. ‘Are you… are you… threatening me?’

‘Nope, I’m tellin’ you a true fact,’ he said. ‘An’ you don’t want me to haf’ta explain to Mr Ramirez why his security team just got their pi gus handed to ‘em by me.’

The nurse shook her head. ‘Who the hell do you think you are?’

‘I’m Captain McNally,’ came the calm reply. ‘You wanna get Mr Ramirez outta his bed at this hour to check my credentials, you go right ahead, you wanna assume I’m meanin’ ill to someone here, go ahead. But consider that if I was meanin’ ill you’d probably be lyin’ in a pool of your own blood an’ breathin’ your last while I stepped over you.’ He put one of the mugs down and hooked a thumb under the slim chain around his neck, pulling his dog-tags out… circular ‘Browncoat’ tags. ‘Best ID I got right now,’ he said softly.

The nurse peered closer and read the tags. ‘McNally, DET… Lutheran?’

Det nodded. ‘You gotta problem with that?’ He tucked his tags away and picked up the mug, striding away without waiting for a reply.

The nurse was left somewhat stunned in his wake. ‘Just… just don’t… make things worse.’

He stopped at the door of Lilly’s room. ‘I’ll try not to.’ Then he stepped inside.
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:16 pm

McNally’s approach was noticed to say the least, while quiet the walls were thin and even the quiet of the voices drifted –albeit muffled- through the walls. It didn’t surprise her that he was the first to visit. Removing her arm from her face she tilted her head towards the display in time to watch the clock tick from 03:00 to 03:01. It was their usual time and briefly, despite everything, a small smile attempted to tug at her lips. It was good to know that no matter what this special part of the morning was theirs. Although the humour of the moment was soon lost, things were quiet, had she imagined it? It wouldn’t be unusual considering her current mental state, the man who had helped ‘save’ her last time being an echo in her mind now.

All concern for the severity of her mental health melted away when the rectangular door swung open, the light flooded into the room, landing on glinting vases of stargazer lilies and yellow roses. A beautiful handmade card sat between the vases signed from Ramirez and his staff. The scent was gentle and delicate, floating up and rousing her senses, forcing her to look towards the source. A side table had been placed beside the bed, aside the vases was a bowl of black and green grapes. She was forced to smile again, albeit faintly, he really had no idea of moderation. Blinking against the light she tried to focus on the figure in the door, as he finished his retort she brushed her fingers across her face to clean the evidence of her tears.

“Three oh clock.” She uttered as the door shut behind him and the lights came up slowly, as did she, pushing herself slowly into a comfortable sitting position. Before turning to make some room on the side table for the mugs that steamed in McNally’s hands.
~When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Ship's Pilot

Post Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Det smiled slightly as he heard Lilly speak, reaching her bedside and placing the mugs down. ‘Figured it was ‘bout time I returned the favour for all them mugs of joe you’ve been bringin’ me.’ He paused to adjust her pillows supporting her back, intent of making her comfortable. ‘Maybe I can even help rest your mind some.’ He regarded the flowers briefly before handing her one of the mugs, perching on the side of the bed with his own. ‘Can’t promise the quality of the coffee, I purloined it from the nurses’ station,’ he added.
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:13 am

Lilly –clearly unused to being fussed over in recent days- tried to assure McNally not to worry about the pillows but it was clearly to no avail. So the flustered woman allowed him to fuss with them until she was settled back both comfortably and happily. Taking the then offered coffee with a smile. “Ah nurse’s coffee. Then as a warning, it’s probably not far off from shuttle fuel.” She teased, bringing it to her nose and gently inhaling the steam rising up. As Det settled himself, Lilly rearranged her legs to give her captain plenty of room. “Though I don’t know about owing me for anything Captain.” She followed up, blowing on the hot coffee and taking a small sip from the mug. It wasn’t terrible, but she certainly wouldn’t have served it to McNally on the ship, which reminded her she’d have to get some more next time they restocked.

She had a million things she wanted to ask, do or say but the bed and the needle in her arm prevented at least half of those things. “I hope I didn’t worry you. It’s superficial really.” She hoped to try and persuade him. He worried enough as it was and he really didn’t need to concern himself with her. Noticing his glance to the elaborate display she offered a light and brief shrug of her uninjured shoulder, “Mister Ramirez, I would guess.” She stated, glancing to the flowers herself, they were beautiful but there was something so sad about cut flowers. Taking another sip from her mug she turned back to her Captain. “Are you okay? Has the doctor run the tests to check for radiation poisoning yet? If not, I’ll give you a check up before you leave, alright?” Her first concern was the fact that many of them had stepped foot on the moon that had had a leaky reactor. It was likely most, if not all, of them were fine but it was better to check so they could make efforts to treat things.

“I spoke with the new doctor and her guardian. They would like to stay, if you would let them. They seem to like the ship and its crew.” She blew on her coffee again and took another, small sip. “She’s hiding something, I told her to speak to you about anything she had that might cause harm to you and yours. She got really uncomfortable. I think she is a genuine enough person though. Sherman is an ex convict, sounds like he made a deal with her ‘father’ to get him out of jail. He doesn’t seem dangerous though, at least not to those he considers allies.” She placed the mug back on the side table and turned her focus back to McNally.

Ship's Pilot

Post Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Det sipped the coffee, making a face at the over-bitter flavour. ‘Hmm, more like solvent for cleanin’ the fuel-lines,’ he remarked. It had spent too long on the hotplate, but it was strong and just what he needed to taste. He regarded Lilly over the rim of the mug as he took another sip. ‘Thing is I do owe you for the other night… Siren was tearin’ into me over Fred an’ I wasn’t certain where that was gonna end up. You saved me from sayin’ something I’d’ve ended up regrettin’, but I’m figurin’ that’ll be a conversation I’ll be pickin’ up down the line a spell.’ He shook his head. ‘Been avoidin’ that particular issue if I’m honest… should’ve maybe cleared the air back on Londinium. Leavin’ a wound untended only makes it worse, but you’d know that.’

He shrugged slightly. ‘As for me worryin’, you’re callin’ me ‘Captain’ so often, you’ll hafta forgive me for bein’ concerned about y’all, even our new doctor and her minder. Bringin’ up current events, the ship’s prepped and ready, all repairs and overhaulin’ done, no one’s got irradiated, an’ I’m just waitin’ on you bein’ safely discharged from here… oh, an’ your decision on the offer from your friend, Mr Ramirez.’ He smiled tightly. ‘For what it’s worth, whatever conversation I’ll be havin’ with Miss Pierson, that’s still to be had, but you know my thinkin’ on you stayin’ aboard…’ He lowered his eyes, momentarily unsure of meeting her gaze. He felt he had said too much on the subject already, not wanting to press the issue further, reminded of an old Hera saying, a closed mouth gathers no boots. He took a longer draft, the hot, bitter coffee making him stiffen. ‘Gorram, this stuff’ll put hairs on your chest… on the inside.’
Captain Det McNally

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:36 pm

Lilly smiled lightly, Siren truly was a firebrand, she was a sweetheart, Lilly loved her to pieces. However the hardness she showed McNally soured her somewhat to the companion’s charms. Sure the Captain had made some bad decisions in his life but not to the point he deserved such harshness. It was all Lilly could do to reach out to hug him just at the thought. Still, she managed to stay put and just offer her comforting smile, “I know she has her reasons, and she does it because she thinks she’s doing it from kindness... but I do not think I will ever approve of the way she talks to you.” She stated honestly, chuckling quietly into her hand at the face he pulled at the coffee.

“A wound festers but one picked at constantly scars.” She uttered over the rim of her own cup, it was glorified motor oil but it was the first proper liquid she’d had in hours. “Talk, air it but don’t let them drag you down, don’t let them make you feel like you are a villain in all this.” She put the cup aside and reached for one of McNally’s hands. She gently squeezed his calloused hand in hers. “You can’t help your heart, no one can.” She rubbed her thumb across the back of his hand and sighed gently, “You’re a good man, whether you see it or not it’s as plain as day to me.”

“You’ll have to forgive me for calling you Captain rather than Det, old habits die hard. A child could get slapped for not using the proper honorific’s back home. I do try.” She released his hand and leaned back a little against the bed. “I’m glad everyone is okay, it does worry me so.” She seemed to fidget a little at the resurgence of the offer, and her place on the ship. Her own eyes seemed to dip to her knees and she waited, what was she supposed to say? Det broke the silence with his grumble and she couldn’t help but chuckle. “You aren’t wrong.”She confessed.

Taking a deep breath she finally looked up, looked to her Captain, “You know I love you. You’re my family, the first proper family I’ve had in a long time. I don’t know what I’d do without you.” She really hoped it didn’t come across strangely, or that she offended him in any way. It was hard to tell what do say, or how to say it. “I want to stay with you... and I intend to... but Rosalind is right in her thinking, I am not right at the moment. Look at me. I may be coping with my... damage but not healthily. I need to... I don’t know.” She shrugged and dropped her fingers to her lap. “I need some time... to get better, for all of us. To find a way to cope without ending up on a table. A month.”

She wasn’t sure where she was going with this, if she was putting it correctly. With a sigh she tried again. “I don’t think I’ve ever mourned them you know... any of them. That’s not normal and now... I need a month, Rosalind needs time to get me to talk about things, I’m hoping that’ll be enough. In the mean time I can work for Mr. Ramirez until he finds someone better... qualified. The money will go some way towards paying for my time on the ship. Save you breaking your ribs up again... I hope.” She offered a wry smile before turning her attention back to the subject, “Then... if you’ll have me, I’ll come back? Even if it’s just for three ay-em coffee.” She teased lightly.

“I don’t feel the jobs...finished. Does that make sense? We stopped the nuclear reactor from detonating but with Prometheus, or whatever the company was called, the diseases and mutated microbiology, the miners and their strife... it sort of feels like we’ve left the job half finished, doesn’t it?” She asked, tilting her head lightly and brushing her hair back behind her ears.

Ship's Pilot

Post Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Det listened intently, considering Lilly’s words, I need some time... to get better, for all of us. To find a way to cope without ending up on a table. A month, and he gave a single nod. I don’t think I’ve ever mourned them you know... any of them. Again he gave a single nod. He knew a little about grieving, for the mother he had never known, for the father who cast him out and never reconciled, for Molly, taken away by a faceless murderer’s bullet just as she had found him again. While he had often hidden his own pain from others it was in those quiet, lonely moments that he let his tears fall, in his cabin, between sessions in the cargo-bay punching bag, occasionally while alone in the silent ship-time nights on the flight-deck. Yet with Lilly he had shown her his pain, his unease, his doubts and his fears… he had relied on her at times, those mugs of coffee, the conversations, long and short, even the silences just gazing into the darkest abyss of the black, letting the very ‘verse swallow the pain and the grief.

But that was his outlet, his way, his nature of release… his relief from the pain he carried. Lilly needed to find her own release, her own relief. Rosalind had already sent him the briefest wave, a few terse words requesting a discussion about Lilly, the young woman clearly knowledgeable, caring and concerned. He had no doubt Lilly needed Rosalind’s help and he wasn’t about to get in the way.

He listened to Lilly, his lips twitching slightly, almost smiling when she mentioned the 3am coffee, but he quickly became serious again. I don’t feel the jobs...finished. Does that make sense? We stopped the nuclear reactor from detonating but with Prometheus, or whatever the company was called, the diseases and mutated microbiology, the miners and their strife... it sort of feels like we’ve left the job half finished, doesn’t it?

Det nodded one last time. ‘I wasn’t around for much more than the evenin’, but from what folks’ve been sayin’ it certainly looks like Mr Ramirez is in need of some more help right now. Also it’s seemin’ like you’re needed here for a spell anyway, Rosalind reckonin’ on that time givin’ you breathin’ space.’ He finished his coffee and placed the mug down on the side table. ‘We ain’t needin’ to rush anywhere, just gotta swing back around to Beaumonde, pick up Miss Mei, reckon she figured this place would be a little ‘rough’ for her an’ I think she was goin’ to run down some dope on Admiral Essex, for what it’s worth. We got somethin’ of a snaggin’ list to finish up on the ‘Lady’, couple o’gimbals to remount, replace some turbine blades… but first on my list is you gettin’ rested… and better.’
Captain Det McNally

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose