Winner Takes All (Event13)

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:43 pm

Re: Winner Takes All (Event13)

Alisha’s room was as anyone who knows her would expect it to be. Pristine, everything had a home, and was in its place. A Small writing desk and lamp on the opposite side of the room and a book shelf with the few physical books that she owned, nearly of them were medical journals, or other doctor related topics. there was an old second hand copy of the Three Musketeers that had a book mark on the first pages. Her white coat and grab bag were hung to one side, and even Socrete’s eating area looked neat and tidy. The room could almost be mistaken for the passengers quarters by how all of her personal item’s we’re tidily tucked away in drawers.

“I meant for losing it…” She mumbled back, she rested her chin on her knees and wrapped her arms around them hugging them tightly and hiding the bottom half of her face. Red tearful eyes watching the Preacher as he glanced around her room. “William was an idiot sometimes… but I never thought-“ her voice cracked again, “Just so much is wrong… and I just can’t…”
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Preacher

Character name: Shepherd Locke

Post Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:04 pm

The Vicar leaned forward and picked up the copy of the 'Three Musketeers' before opening it at the book mark.
"Well you made it as far as the title" He mused "William was an idiot, but he was our idiot and as stupid as he was he was part of our lives. You know what? He always will be and I don't just mean a sick bag on every flight."
"On the first Monday of the month of April, 1625, the market town of Meung, in which the author of Romance of the Rose was born, appeared to be in as perfect a state of revolution as if the Huguenots had just made a second La Rochelle of it. Many citizens, seeing the women flying toward the High Street, leaving their children crying at the open doors, hastened to don the cuirass, and supporting their somewhat uncertain courage with a musket or a partisan, directed their steps toward the hostelry of the Jolly Miller, before which was gathered, increasing every minute, a compact group, vociferous and full of curiosity.
In those times panics were common, and few days passed without some city or other registering in its archives an event of this kind. There were nobles, who made war against each other; there was the king, who made war against the cardinal; there was Spain, which made war against the king. Then, in addition to these concealed or public, secret or open wars, there were robbers, mendicants, Huguenots, wolves, and scoundrels, who made war upon everybody. The citizens always took up arms readily against thieves, wolves or scoundrels, often against nobles or Huguenots, sometimes against the king, but never against cardinal or Spain. It resulted, then, from this habit that on the said first Monday of April, 1625, the citizens, on hearing the clamor, and seeing neither the red-and-yellow standard nor the livery of the Duc de Richelieu, rushed toward the hostel of the Jolly Miller. When arrived there, the cause of the hubbub was apparent to all..."
The vicar lowered the book with a smile.
"I haven't read this book in years ..." He said.
"Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition"

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:47 pm

“You’re welcome to it.” Alisha replied, nodding to the book and the flat folded paper crane she had been using as a bookmark. “I’ve had it for a year and haven’t got to it yet”. She wiped away the tears on the back of her sleeve, her hands trembling more than usual. “I’m ill.” She said to the quiet of the room, “That’s why I didn’t go… that’s why I didn’t try, I didn’t think I could make a difference, and I thought those already there really could.”
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Preacher

Post Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:13 pm

"It that what bothers you? That you didn't try? That you are ill? You made a judgement call a good one, if it helps, you placed your faith in McNally and his crew. Has McNally changed any? Has he diminished in your eyes?" Locke looked at her.

"You can't change the past, we both know how that works, which means we run away again or we just fix what went wrong and keep moving forwards. I'm not sure I care for running away no more, don't think you do either. So how do we fix the problem, neither of us can bring Burton back, so we need to fix the hurt of his being gone instead."

"That's a wound that needs patching and before you patch that wound you need to clean it and examine it, right?"

The young doctor nodded quietly.

"So we need to understand the hole that Dr Numb-nuts left in our lives and move forward, all of us, which is why we need to go to Claret's Moon. Someone needs to tell Poppy what has happened, and then we need to all grieve together as a family. Like we should, like we haven't yet, no locking ourselves away to hurt in private. Family helps, little one, it is what it is there for."

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:05 pm

”You placed your faith in McNally and his crew. Has McNally changed any? Has he diminished in your eyes?"
The young doctor glanced away, ”…No,” she had mumbled, though she wasn’t sure she really believed that, she wasn’t sure what to think right now.

Locke Thankfully moved on, and she let him finished nodding again, and drying her damp face on the back of her now damp sleeve, as he talked of how family helps. “You have this terrible habit of making sense Locke.” She mumbled, her breath had stopped catching harshly in her chest and for now it was shallow and even. “Clarets Moon will be nice…” She let the silence between them build up, trying to build up the courage to voice her fears allowed.

“Locke…” She started, watching him evenly, thinking carefully on the words to use. I’m Dying were the first words to leap to mind. And although accurate, they were over dramatic, she didn’t want to voice such a dire phrase, didn’t want to believe it to be true.
“I’ve got a developed case of Liver Cirrhosis” Her voice cracked in throat. Why was it so hard to say. Maybe It was the anticipation of having to explain it, what it actually means, the symptoms, what will eventually happen to her, and what has been happening to her. Maybe it was laying the truth bare, and voiceing it. Not hiding from it, or trying to bury it in the dirt and run from it.
“The machine finished its diagnostics just before dinner.”
OOC- Cassie

Preacher

Post Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:48 pm

Locke nodded slowly.
"Did I tell you that my wife was a doctor? She worked in an Army hospital but yeah I know how bad that can be, total failure at the end isn't it?" For someone hearing about a possibly terminal condition of a confessed-family member the Shepherd was strangely chipper. "You okay with telling Chai? We can get a message to your mother and have them start growing you a new one, when it is ready we can see about how to drop you off on Persephone without attracting too much in the way of attention."

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:53 pm

Alisha blinked, she was thrown completely off guard by the lack of questions, and just the ‘matter of fact’ acceptance of the situation. She hadn’t even thought about calling home, her mother had enough to worry about without adding the terminal illness of her daughter to the mix. “It can be slowed, but there is no cure” The young doctor confirmed, “Complete failure at the end, and a nasty way to go.”
“Chai Knows its Liver Cirrhosis, as does Det… Neither know how serious that is… It can currently be managed with medicines, which is what I’m going to tell Det..”
She paused for a moment, “I don’t want the others to know how ill I am... It’s just a cold, I reacted badly to the atmosphere or something. I can’t have people worrying about me.”

Another long pause, “It’s going to get worse, and that scares me.”
OOC- Cassie

Preacher

Post Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:14 pm

"My wife would often recommend a replacement if it was bad enough, if you are armed forces or rich enough it usually isn't a problem. Make a list of the medicines you need and I'll have Chai contact your mother, in the mean time it is up to us to look after the crew in the wake of Burton's death. Body and Soul, remember?" At the word 'body' he pointed to her and to himself when he said 'soul'.

"Come here, give me a hug and get those tears out. Then we can look to the rest of the crew, we need to share in our grief it is what families do."

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:29 pm

Alisha crawled over and let Locke wrap his arms around her shoulders, leaning heavily against his chest. It was comfortable, it almost reminded her of her eldest brother Tyberious, who had followed their father into the Alliance Military, though she didn’t know which arm. She hadn’t seen nor heard from him in over two years.

As Locke leaned against the top of her head, and whispered soothingly, she felt her defences crumble. Felt the hot tears run in rivers down her flush cheeks, and her breath let out in sharp ragged gasps. She felt his fingers stroke through her hair, and she just let her grief out into the open, knowing she was safe to do so.
OOC- Cassie

Preacher

Post Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:10 am

As he whispered the soothing lie that it was 'all okay' Locke pondered what to do about his crew, the stray was new but he seemed nice enough but with four deaths in under six months the whole fleet would be feeling shaky. They needed to grab a patch of dirt and come together, time to heal. He'd talk to McNally and Chai about it, and yes he'd even talk to Tobias.
Previous

Return to The Thorn