Winner Takes All (Event13)

Cortexer
Cortexer

Character name: Chai Neow

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:47 am

Re: Winner Takes All (Event13)

Nodding at Hal’s joviality he kept up his own act of merriment, Chai hoped it was convincing. “I’m sure we’ll be able to hammer out something mutually beneficial,” he paused a moment to consider the man’s comment on berths, “For a ship this size there’s not a whole lot of crew berthing, Kid and I share a room o’ course an’ that helps, though things are getting close to full up if we want to keep the passenger bays empty.” He cocked his head to one side at the mention of Lilly-Rose, of course Hal had been unconscious since the Dust Devil raid on New Kasimir, “Lily-Rose has transferred to the Roisin Dubh, since they are in need of a Doc. Alisha says she’ll do great.”

His smile widened as Locke arrived at the door though there is a questioning in his eyes about the preachers attire. He quickly shrugged it off, if his friend and 1st mate wanted to let him in on his activities he would, but he’d more than earned the right to a few secrets. He mirrored Alisha’s comment with a chuckle, “Indeed, a stray. Much like Kid and I when you good folks found us.” Nodding to Hal, he expanded “Seems Hal here is a pilot, a fighter pilot and a good one at that, possibly with a craft to boot if plans pan out. It’s my thinking that Wren could do a lot worse than have interceptor support should he need to drag asses out of the fire. I’m thinking Hal and us both could benefit from an arrangement to operate from the Thorn. Kid is looking into the possibility of modifying the spare shuttle port to accommodate a Barracuda.”

With a nod in the direction of Locke, Chai addressed Hal, “This is shepherd Locke, he is our First Mate. There’s also our Pilot and medivac Wren. We’ve recently added a young man called Jack to the crew, he was looking for passage and looks to be more than a little handy if things should get a little, rough. That’s our little family. You’ve met the rest of us.”

Despite his best efforts Chai’s eyes kept flicking to the young ship’s Doctor. He was trying to keep his concern to himself as per Alisha’s wishes, he could totally understand her being sick of everyone wrapping her in cotton wool but it was hard not to want to do all you could for her.

“So, Preacher, how much do you know about the events dirtside?” It was a good chance to brief his friend. Locke seemed to have a way of just knowing, but it couldn’t hurt to go through the motions.
Chai Neow

'State of the art security you say? Just give me a moment ...'

<click>

Character name: Hayri Anatoli Ludvenquist, Hal

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:01 pm

Hal nodded to Chai,"well if the good doctor and your own schedule will allow I'd be happy to hammer something out after dinner," he posed with a shrug a slight eagerness to have certain things settled. He listens carefully as Chai talks of the limited space but something causes the humour to slip out of his eyes and the corners of his mount to flatten at Chai's comment about the pair of roses. It passes a fraction of a moment later as Hal suddenly grimaces and puts one hand to his abdomen in apparent pain, closing his eyes and looking away from the other man as he does so, when he reopens them the humour is there again and he waves off any concern from the others with a murmured, "I'm fine." Before nodding his assent to Alisha's assessment, "I'm sure she will."

When Locke appeared Hal turned, careful not to twist oddly, and nods simply to the other man, his eyes quickly looking him up and down trying not to be too obvious in his attempt to gauge him as the three exchange words. A slight question flickered in Hal's eyes at the words being used but Chai's own seem to assuage any desire to voice them, a half smile of pride replacing it.
At the introduction Hal will rise to greet the man properly, "Hayri, or Hal. Nice to meet you Shepherd. And you needn't worry I'm more of a tea drinker than coffee." His smile is genuine but it's perhaps not as broad as it had been. Turning back to Chai he adds briefly, "Bubbles should be able to help Kidd with that. Not that I expect Kidd to find it difficult but Hari's been tinkering with Barracudas as long as we've both been flying them."

Turning back to his seat at the table Hal listens as Chai queries the other mans awareness of events and waits to listen to the retelling.

Preacher

Character name: Shepherd Locke

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:24 pm

"Hari and Barracuda in the same sentence usually sounds like the CAT" The Shepherd commented idly as he stood up straight. "pleasure to meet you, Hal, I'm Reverend Locke although most just call me Preacher or Locke."
The vicar looked from Alisha to Chai and then back again before pulled a faint grimace as he flicked the towel over his shoulder.
"I am thinking your faces are telling a sorry tale, you are bringing me an injured stray and telling me the Rose is in need of a Doctor. Guess you better spill that bad news before it worms it's way out of you in drips and drabs."
"Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition"

Cortexer
Cortexer

Character name: Chai Neow

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:38 am

Chai nodded his affirmation to Preachers observation regarding Hari, “Seem to be some kind of timeshare Hal’s arranged. Will be interesting to see how it works out.”

He offered another friendly nod of affirmation to Hal’s comment about hammering out their business arrangement then he glanced towards Alisha at Locke’s request for an update on the events dirtside, she was looking with great interest at her coffee. Well it was his job after all, “Cutting to the chase. We lost Burton. Seems some local law enforcement ID’d him an’ decided that justice is a relative term an’ a man can be executed merely for suspicion of a crime. I expected that on the core, but out on the Rim where justice is supposed to serve the people an’ …” He realized he was slipping into a rant, his voice slowly increasing in tempo and volume. Glancing around the table he lowered his voice again, “Turns out the evidence that were brought to her weren’t enough to convince her. It’s all 3rd hand I’m afraid, Locke. I was uhm … recovering from a drug mix up after some pain killers Burton gave me.”

Chai shook his head sadly, “Shouldn’t o’ happened. I’m expecting the sheriff and her posse to disappear pretty sharpish. After all, they spoke to Burton and listened to evidence from his terrorists. Tried to warn ‘em, I might not like the way they do justice down there, but they thought they was just doing their jobs.”

He took a large swig of coffee, “Then there was the usual thrillin’ heroics o’course; saving the Circe, Dust Devil explosives, I can fill you in on the minor details after dinner if you fancy. Didn’t get any work though, only jobs about seemed to be a little more underhand than something we’d want to get involved in. Still, I’m sure we’ll find some passengers or cargo to haul to keep us flyin’.”

He looked over at Alisha, of course there was more but he’d made a promise to her. “About sums it up …”
Chai Neow

'State of the art security you say? Just give me a moment ...'

<click>

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:57 pm

Hal nodded along with Chai to the mention of the CAT, "someone else mentioned them dirtside too. Either way, now the cortex is up I'll be able to reach her and sort things out."

Listening to the others and Chai's description of events Hal waited until the captain finished before chiming in the emphasis on his second word clear, "I was there. Lilly-Rose and I were round back of the deputy station practically the entire time. The sheriff wasn't listening to anything they brought, no matter what it was, didn't take her for the greedy type so I think she was just sure she was right. Stubborn and strong-willed, unwilling to back down in the face of guns and pressure." Hal shrugs, "that doesn't sound too unreasonable out here to me, but then again..." he shrugs again and smiles apologetically, "I'm sorry I didn't go in, had a decent line and could probably have got the first few deps down before they knew we were on them. But I was in cover, McNally and the others didn't know we were there and they were in the open. Would left them well and truly hanging in the breeze, even if they reacted fast, and there was no certainty Lilly and I could have got to Burton before they pulled the trigger on him." He paused again, shaking his head slightly from side to side before looking around all of them, "And to be completely honest, I wasn't going to risk a lot of people getting hurt for a man I didn't know. I'm sorry you lost your friend, he sounds like a much better man than the powers seem to want to remember his as."

Looking up at Chai after his little confession he just caught the other man's sideways glance to the doctor but didn't comment on it, merely quirking an eyebrow and asking a different question, "the Circe, that where you all vanished too whilst I was out trying to get paid for other people's incompetence?"

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:34 pm

Alisha stared into the depths of her coffee cup, she was silent, her hands balled into fists on her lap in an failed attempt to stop the trembling that had become more pronounced. She listened, trying to control her shallow unsteady breathing, or the way her breath would catch.

The young doctor hadn’t known Hal was there… didn’t know any of the details apart from that Dr. William Burton hadn’t gotten back onto the Rosin. She never questioned, never asked, this was the first time she had heard the words uttered. It became apparent that she hadn’t given it a second thought while dirtside, she couldn’t or she’d have broken, and people had needed her. Det had needed her, he had lost it.
She had such utter faith in Det, that she hadn’t fathomed that Burton wouldn’t be back safe, it had never crossed her mind until the pilot had come back empty handed and started drinking.

Her world grew blurry as she listened, until a solitary tea fell from her nose and onto the table. Shortly followed by another and another.

"And to be completely honest, I wasn't going to risk a lot of people getting hurt for a man I didn't know. I'm sorry you lost your friend, he sounds like a much better man than the powers seem to want to remember his as." Hal had finished.

The young doctor sniffed and hastily dried her tears on the back of her sleeve, as she stood up from the table, “sorry… excuse me” she croaked, the words barely leaving her lips as she hurriedly left the mess room, and passed Locke in the door way. She didn’t make eye contact, just left her coffee and her dinner and fled. Her feet took her down the corridor, she didn’t know where she was heading until she got to her room, opening the door and sitting on the bed with her knees curled up to her chest.

The flood gates had opened, and despite how much she didn’t want to believe it, she could pretend no longer.
Dr. William Burton, someone she considered friend, even for all his faults, was dead.
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:13 pm

Hal winces as Alisha speaks, the tone of her voice too obviously pained, and he looks down shutting his eyes and shaking his head before looking after her.
"I should have thought of that...." he mutters something profane under his breath quietly, before wincing again and nodding at Locke, "apologies Preacher." His head still gazing at the open door the young woman had left from, "I...ah.." He bites his lip and turns to Chai his features firm and honest, "I don't know her well. What would be best for me to do to help her? I owe her enough already without having caused her pain."

Preacher

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:45 pm

"Best leave her be for the moment, Hal, it's a kind thought but I guess this is what I'm on the boat for." The Preacher smiled sadly as he stood up straight. "Chai? Don't be too hard on that Sheriff. The posters made it clear, Burton was wanted dead only that means the Core tried him in absentia. Legally she had to kill him, if she didn't do it straight away that tells me she wanted to let him live but to do that Det needed to prove that he was innocent of everything the Court said he did."
Locke turned and started to move after Alisha.

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:36 am

The events of a long and hard weekend crashed down upon the little doctor now that the gates had been bust open. She had put up walls and blocks, one after the other over the weekend dirtside. People had needed her to be strong, she couldn’t break while on New Kasimir because no one else would have coped. She had been their surgeon, their doctor, they still needed to believe that she was capable, that she could cope with the pressure. Because when everything falls apart, and the shooting stops, they need to believe that the Best doctor in the ‘verse’ can push everything aside and still pick them up.

But now she was safe, and her guard had been lowered, she broke. Alisha felt like a girl, small and afraid, unable to stem the tears that fell from her face, or control the ragged gasps for breath.
If you can’t do something smart, do something right. If you can’t do something right, do something They were Det’s words, and instead of doing something she hadn’t made an attempt. Such unwavering faith in a man she considered family had shattered. She had been so scared, felt so fragile, that she had put all of her faith in Det… She couldn’t help but think if she had been brave enough to do something it would all have gone differently.

Her mind was spinning, different scenarios playing out, all the bad that had happened on that forsaken rock meshing together. Burton, her new found health worries, Fleider and Bouncer, Det had started Drinking, Lilly Drinking, Lilly being one of That Woman’s… It started crashing together when there was a knock at the door.

She looked up to see Locke open the door, she stared at him with a tear stained face, her eyes red, and her shoulders shaking. Alisha was curled up on the far corner of her bed, with her back against the wall, and her knees hugging her chest.
“I’m sorry…” She mumbled, quickly avoiding eye contact.
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Preacher

Post Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:16 pm

"Don't know why you are saying sorry" The Shepherd said as he closed the door behind him and moved to sit at the opposite end of the bed. "People tend to be sorry when they feel responsible for something, they feel sorry because they feel bad about something or because they feel bad about feeling bad. Sorry is a complicated word, five letters and a shit load of context."
The vicar looked around the room.
"You know who could have stopped it all and saved Burton? President, the Feds, someone with authority to say 'whoah, hold on there' but those folks wanted him dead and folks like that get want they want. Sorry should come from them. Sorry should come from a dumb numb-nut who walked on to a planet with more money on his head than in his pocket without a shred of disguise. He didn't die on your table, Doctor, give him the dignity of his own actions."
PreviousNext

Return to The Thorn