Aftermath of Boros

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Re: Aftermath of Boros

McNally closed his eyes for a moment and took a breath. ‘Weren’t pretty for the most part,’ he said softly, then his eyes opened and he smiled. ‘But I was one of the lucky ones… I made it through. I knew a good few who didn’t. When I was on the MacKenzie we were ‘irregulars’, so the Alliance would just execute us for bein’ spies or some-such. I was off her and heading out with the 313th when I heard about the MacKenzie runnin’ out o’luck. Pella Logan, Chief Benny Fraser, Ray Vecchio, Amanda Lambert, Corbin Dallas…’

His eyes closed again. ‘Alex Kane, Technician Alan Brett, Chief Marcus Parker, Lieutenant Paul Gorman, Perry Frost, Peter Crowe, Jeanette Vasquez, my replacement Dwayne Hicks, Tyrone Apone, Ernie Hudson, Ellen Dietrich, Mike Wierzbowski, Karen Ferro, the ships ‘doc’ Becca Jorden, Keith Drake, Carter Burke, Aaron A. Aaronsson, Jon Crichton, Erin Suun, Zhang Li, Jim Morse, Gong Ziyi, Ed Bishop, Mattie Clements, Lottie Dillon, Song Mei… and Captain Vaughn Phillips.’ He opened his eyes. ‘Thirty-two down on the Robert MacKenzie.’ He shook his head slowly. ‘Some said they were prisoners, others reckoned they’d be tried and summarily executed for espionage.’

He regarded her then. ‘Truth be told, never heard hide n’hair of any of ‘em ever again so I figure they was all executed.’ He shifted in his seat, as if suddenly uncomfortable. ‘Anyway, I got drafted into the 313th Air Drop Brigade, the ‘Screamin’ Eagles’ they called us. We’d find ourselves ‘backing’ into the hottest fire-zones you ever did see. One such was the Koronis Rift on Ezra. Was a major Alliance stronghold there and we had to support the Browncoats, 22nd Overlanders, who were trying to break it open.’ He leaned forward then, a strangely keen look in his eyes. ‘Y’see there was one approach into the rift valleys where the Browncoats were, and the Alliance held the heights and the approaches. They’d put triple-A up around us so we had fly in the weeds. Then they’d run tension cables across the gorges to rip us clean outta the air but we learned to dodge ‘em. Then they’d drop curtains of artillery fire into our vectors, blind us with dust so we’d cannonball into the canyon walls or just get blasted clean to smithereens.’

He was smiling crookedly. ‘There was twenny pilots in the 313th when we first hit the Rift. Two sorties a day and three each night left only six of us still breathin’ nineteen days later when we heard the 57th had diverted to Hera and the 22nd weren’t gonna be reinforced. Suddenly they needed us to bug ‘em out. The retrieval weren’t no picnic neither.’ He laughed. ‘Once the Alliance’d figured we was pulling troops out, they’d ease off the triple-A until we were liftin’ off and then they’d try tag us out on the boost to orbit. We were wise to ‘em but I was the only one in the brigade to come out of the Rift without a mark on my hull… not one scratch. Never saw nothin’ like that again ‘til Serenity Valley.’ He sat back, still managing to smile but a glimmer of a tear in his left eye. ‘Six of us, me, ‘Poncho’ Ramirez, ‘Sully’ Sullenberger, Trudy Chacon, ‘Graphic’ Augustine and ‘Merlin’ Willis headed into Serenity Valley not long after. I know Poncho bought the farm when his engine failed and he drifted into a heap of triple-A, and Sully clean disappeared with four Alliance interceptors chasin’ his tail. I got brought down, Trudy smashed herself up and was med-evac’d back to the Valley Forge, Merlin and Graphic were still flyin’ when the ceasefire was called so I lost track of them after I was interned on Hera. It was a hell of a time and I made some good friends… and I lost some good friends… good pilots… the best I knew.’

A single tear trailed slowly down his cheek. ‘The MacKenzie was like a family ‘til I got moved on, the 313th was the same… ‘til the end. This family, though, this crew… I don’t want this to end. I ain’t got nothin’ left in the ‘verse to fret for asides this crew. Molly was the only thing out there,’ he waved to the black, ‘that I’d concerns for and OASIS took care of that for me. And now I’m just takin’ her home.’ He sat back and gazed around the flight deck. ‘But this, this don’t feel like home should, much as I’ve grown an affection for this bucket o’rust, she’s lackin’ somethin’. She don’t feel right… I don’t feel right to her neither. She bucks and shimmies, keens too often. She gets all onery and spits her dummy like a child in a tantrum. And I figure we’re all split up and too separated.’ He wiped away the tear and looked into Alisha’s eyes. ‘This family needs a new home and a place to run to, ground that’s safe. Thing is I don’t wanna go sounding like I’m takin’ over but… well Regan, the Padre, Chai, they need to be willin' for this and... well, I was gonna mention it but I'm afraid that... they won't listen an'...' He frowned at her. 'Wha'd'ya think? Am I goin' crazy?'’
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

kid

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:17 pm

"Then we make 'em listen." Kid was standing in the hatchway, holding Socrates with one arm and scratching behind his ears with the other.
"Fact is, this ship's sick. I've been pullin' every trick I know to keep her goin', an' it's gettin' harder by the minute. I can get her flyin' well again, but it's gonna need serious time ter do it. And I don't think we've got the time, or the equipment. She's been beat up an' patched up so many times that she ain't gonna be right til she's had a complete drydock. She's a real tired ship." She reached up and patted the bulkhead above her affectionately. "Still fight in her, but she needs help." Kid's attention switched to the black ahead "Funny thing how often a ship an' her crew match, huh?" She let the question hang unanswered for a moment.
Nah, ship didn't need those parts anyway...

Ship's Pilot

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:29 pm

McNally snickered. 'You bin eavedroppin' on private conversations?' As Kid made a face, he added, 'I was talkin' to Soc!' He smiled to Alisha and then to Kid. 'I reckon we need to bring our family back together, at least some way. Tobias has his 'ladies' on the Jade Fawn but, right or wrong, I'd prefer to have everyone where we can look after 'em... and between the three of us we're the ones who have to have all the angles covered.' He moved over to the comms console and gestured for them to join him. 'No offence to present company but with this old bucket bein' a source o'more hard work to keep her flyin', I've bin lookin' out for a bigger hull to fit the bill.' He called up a reference from the cortex. 'Might've found one too, at a boneyard on Three Hills. She's a Firefly, an oldie but a goodie by the looks.' He glanced to Kid. 'Claim is she's fit and ready to fly, but I'm no engineer, so you'll need to run through her operationals, make sure we're not lookin' at a heap o'spares.' He tapped the screen. 'Currently goes by the name of the Palomino last used by some private company for planetary survey, so her data-work says. Need Chai to check her history just to make sure but... she's an option.' He stepped back. 'I mean we can all bust a gut and put this baby to rights but we'll still feel like one crew across two ships, at least, an'... an' that ain't right.'
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

kid

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Post Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:21 pm

"Way you were throwin' the ship around just now, just count yerself lucky you didn't bust anythin' came up to check she was flying right, mostly cos the furball insisted." She scratched Socrates behind the ear while he stretched, dug his claws in good-naturedly and then jumped the short distance to the floor. "Firefly huh? Flown in one or two. Nice work, sweet fliers an' they can handle pretty well in atmo too. So long as you keep an eye on the compression coil, you're shiny. I'll take a look at what you've got so far though. There's plenty of them been kept by those as don't care." She grinned lopsidedly "I like the sound of bein' in a firefly again."
Nah, ship didn't need those parts anyway...

Ship's Pilot

Post Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:50 am

'Well that's one vote from the Engineer,' McNally remarked. 'Wha'd'ya say, Dr Corbon, as I recall the infirmary space on the Firefly is bigger... much bigger... you an' Burton could do a deal of sharin' the space better.'
Captain Det McNally

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:45 am

Alisha tipped her head back to look at Kid as she entered through the doorway, she smiled slightly. “I don’t really know anything about ships.. This is the first one I’ve flown in, and my brief chase in the CAT on Boros the second one” she said, “I could always do with more space in my infirmary, but I’m sure me and Burton have proved neither of us do well when it comes to sharing. He is disorganised, and I am over organised.”

“But… Home is the people, not the place… if you think the ship needs to change, then get it changed… but keep the name, the name means something”
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:52 am

After Clarent’s Moon
Alisha was found in the kitchen, with a cup of coffee strong enough to start knocking teeth out. Her white coat was folded meticulously, and carefully placed on the back of her chair and her waistcoat was in her hands, along with a needle and thread, as very carefully she started to patch over the bullet hole from the many weeks ago. Stitching along the edge with a surgeons practice.

Socrates had come to join her, winding his way around her feet and demanding attention. Alisha had dreaded landing on Clarets Moon, she had been antisocial since Boros at the best of times. It seemed like it would take so much energy to see folks again.

It wasn’t.

Of course it wasn’t, crew are just another family. But it had given her a lot to think about, a lot to ponder on.
The overwhelming support, when the crew had discovered that her mother has Cancer, and that we needed money, People throwing down the last dollars in their pocket. Miss Mei asking to know how much the foundation needed, and when Alisha found out to let the companions know. Plans and schemes being made to get the money quickly.

Her conversation with Lock, Poppy….and eventually Caine. How mistakes happen, how she was too numb to be angry anymore. How they had started again. ’Hi, I’m Doctor Alisha Corbon’…. ‘Nice to meet you doc, John Caine’

And then the conversations about Zenith… And what a mess that had been. No one ever survives a Reever attack, no one comes back the same… Locks words, something that made her wonder if she had she changed?
Yes… yes you have It was easy to see, the black had changed her till she was nearly unrecognisable, it was chewing her up, and eating away at everything that made her, her.

She carried a gun, and has used it killed someone, a thought that still made her stomach churn. She was losing that naïve look on the life around her. Losing her faith in people. She had lied to her father, taken it upon herself to decide what was best for other people.
She had turned to alcohol, and was now suffering as she came back from it.

In a year, her entire life had turned upside down, and she could never have it back. She would never be the same person. She could never have that time back.

The ginger cat, fed up of not getting the attention he thought he deserved, had leapt onto the chair besides her and stepped onto her lap. Amber eyes holding her gaze. “You. Are just plain awkward on some day’s Socrates McNally” The young doctor relented, taking a moment from her stitching to stroke Socs behind the ears.
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Ship's Pilot

Post Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:47 pm

They cleared Claret’s Moon safely as McNally squared away his dark shirt, trousers and waist-coat, hanging them next to the formal jacket. The only proper clothing he owned, he had purchased them before the war, back on Athens, wore them to Morton Glabraith’s funeral and then swore off wearing them for anything other than solemn occasions. He had intended to wear them next on Hera while he was overseeing arrangements for Molly but before touching down on the remote moon where Os had made his base he found himself laying them out. There had been a sombre mood on the ship after Boros and it suddenly seemed fitting that he should be properly attired when the crew addressed their individual and collective difficulties.

Now, barely a couple of days later everything felt quite different. There were still hurts, like healing wounds, but he felt the crew were coming back together again. He was glad that Alisha and Caine had chewed the fat and that she had seemed a little more settled after that, and playing Kid-Ball had let everyone relax and have a little fun in spite of the ills of the ‘Verse. Even his at first strained conversation with Mei had cleared the air between them. He still didn’t approve but he understood and, to a degree, respected her profession… and he still felt obliged to help her get Admiral Essex, one score he was looking forward to settling.

It had been a shame when the time had finally come to depart and get back to serious business, but the respite had salved some of his own troubles. There was still plenty to be done and he still had to do right by Molly, but he faced the future with a new outlook, no longer the outsider, the thug, the criminal, the scratch-pilot who would be useful with his fists, he was somewhere beyond that now… although he was still willing to be the scapegoat if the time ever came. ‘Every crew needs one,’ he mused as he closed the closet door. He sat down at his small table and regarded the plain black bible, his father’s bible… now his. He considered taking it up and opening it to a random page but there was also the other book beside it. Alisha’s First Aid Manual. ‘I did promise,’ he said softly, taking up the heavier tome and sitting back, pondering on which section would be most apt to read. ‘Well, I’ve seen more gun-shot wounds than much else so, let’s see, wounds and bandages.’ He thumbed to the required pages and settled in to read.
Captain Det McNally
Previous

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old