Aftermath of Boros

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:43 pm

Re: Aftermath of Boros

McNally chuckled. 'Oh, you'd be surprised,' he said, perching on the pilot's seat. 'When I served on the Robert MacKenzie I flew left yoke to a man call Tully. He once took us right into an inoperative nav-buoy, put a nice dent in the ventral plating and, as we discovered when we hit dirt, severed the arresters on the cargo ramp. Damn thing dropped open on the Loadmaster's foot, almost took all his toes off. I think the phrase hoppin' mad was coined for such an occasion. I can still see Tully’s face after the Loadie’d laid him out… got me my first stint at right yoke ‘cause of that. Can’t say I heard nothin’ of Tully after that neither. Captain Phillips gave me my choice of left yoke… her name was Pella Logan and she was from St Albans. Pretty little thing, flew natural, never needed teaching.’ His eyes lowered. ‘Damned shame she never took my advice and signed up for a proper postin’. Said she preferred the sneakin’ and the clandestine work we'd done.’ He straightened and seemed to push away the reverie. ‘Anyhow, you wannin’ to fly her after I’ve just got her flying if not too straight about as true as I can?’ Before she could answer he was already swivelling his seat back and taking up the right yoke. ‘Well, c’mon, Doctor Corbon, take a grip, I’m about to switch out the nav-comp and let the flight system cut in.’ He snapped a couple of switches and looked to her his hand poised over the last one. ‘You ready?’
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Alisha looked at him like he was crazy, “N-now?! You’ve just told me that it is possible to crash into stuff this far out, and you want me to take control? I said teach! This is the equivalent of me giving you a scalpel and telling you to ‘hop too it’. Which, I hasten to add, is not how I’m going to teach you how to do first aid…” It was the look on her face that made her tentatively grip the yoke in front of her. It felt unnatural and clunky as she held it as though it would bite her, “Shouldn’t you warn folks that you’re taking it off of the Nav!”
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Ship's Pilot

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:54 pm

For long seconds, McNally looked at her, as if gauging her reaction. 'S'okay, Alisha,' he said softly. 'I'm gonna be backin' ya. This is just gonna be a little show and tell.' He snapped off the last switch and a buzzer went off as the yoke in her hands suddenly became very heavy. McNally took only the lightest grip and it translated through to her. 'Just feel that I do.' He pushed forward ever so slightly and a gush of propellent erupted soundlessly from the nose-mounted thrusters. The deck-shift went almost unnoticed but the view changed slightly as the ship nosed over, pinpoints and a nearby moon shifting in aspect. He pointed to a screen on the console. 'That there shows the attitude, right now we're fifteen degrees down. This ain't like atmo, this is freefall, she follows her course until you input a hard thrust, the Reaction Control System or RCS, all them little thrusters, all they'll do is point her nose somewhere different.' He pointed up slightly. 'We're still going where we was, just looking in a different direction.' He pushed the yoke forward again, this time for longer and the shift in the deck was more pronounced until there was a momentary swirl in her inner ear. McNally tapped the attitude readout once more. 'Now we're tail-first.' He looked up out of the screen. 'Baffles are clear, no one's behind us. I could've jus' shimmied her left or right and checked the scope, but it never does no harm to take a good look yourself.' Alisha felt him pull the yoke back slightly, the swirl occurring again until the attitude readout returned to straight forward flight and then she noticed his knowing smile. 'There's always a cone about sixty degrees of arc aft of a ship that is a blind spot. S'called the baffles. That's where bungers and freebooters and all sorts of ne'er-do-wells'll sneak up on ya. So, first rule if you learn nothin' else about flyin'... wherever you go, whatever you do, always make sure you clear your baffles 'fore you do anything else.' He patted her arms. 'You can loosen them white knuckles're yourn, or you're liable to lose circulation and hafta amputate you're own hands.' He winked.
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:03 pm

“I know I’m good, but I’m not sure if even I am capable of amputating my own hands? A scarier thought is trying to talk you through doing it…” She grinned back at him, and reluctantly she loosened her grip on the yoke ever so slightly. Pleased to see that the ship didn’t decide to spiral out of control and off course when she did.

He was poking fun now, prodding at her obvious nervousness at being thrown in the deep end. It was a teaching method, not everyone learns by reading books. She nodded to the console, “So what do all the lights and buttons mean? Or are you trying to tell me it’s just that simple?”
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Ship's Pilot

Post Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:46 pm

McNally’s hand swept over the centre console. ‘These are the astrogation and aerospacial instruments, attitude, altitude, absolute and relative bearings, velocity, delta-v, turn and slip indicators and electromagnetic compass. Underneath those are the drive output instruments, flux-flow read-outs, throttle pre-sets and thrust vector indicators.’ His hand came to rest on a set of four parallel levers. ‘Main throttles, inboard are the upper primaries, outboard are the lower primaries.’ He tapped a smaller pair of levers next to his control yoke. ‘Landing thruster throttles, duplicated on your side too.’ He gestured to the overhead panels then, pointing to rows of gated switches. ‘Primary drive interlock switches, pulse-detonation through-flow switches, primary and secondary drive ignition switches, RCS, OMS and main engine overrides.’ He reached across to another panel bearing more switchgear and several small screens. ‘These are the RCS and OMS initiators and displays, RCS for fine motion and OMS, Omni-directional Manoeuvring System, for coarse shift. Together with the primary drives, it’s the OMS that governs delta-v control and steers the ship when she’s not affected by the gravitational influences of celestial bodies.’

His hand went to the three switches set atop the binnacle of the control yoke. ‘These are the ‘three magic switches’,’ he said, as if he were imparting great wisdom. ‘Depending on flight mode these switch in either the RCS alone, the OMS alone, or the OMS and primary drives for flight control.’ He paused and glanced at Alisha. ‘Still with me?’ Without waiting for an answer he continued, his hand went to another panel between the centre console and the yoke. ‘This is the flight mode director and nav-comp. We’re in what’s known as ‘cruise’ mode, the nav-comp is doing most of the work, guiding the ship and making course corrections at way-points as she goes… I’m just sittin’ here watchin’ the view. The second mode is ‘passive flight’ mode with the nav-comp giving way to flight inputs that position the ship while maintaining navigational cues. So if we’re docking with a skyplex or some such, that’ll be the mode she’s answering in. Third flight profile is ‘active flight’. The nav-comp is essentially just giving navigational data while I have full control of the ship. Backing… I mean de-orbits… flying in atmo, boosting from atmo, all the fun things about flyin’ where a pilot earns his, or her, crust.’ He chuckled. ‘Then you have the emergency systems here and here.’ He directed her to two sets of switches and levers on each side of the main throttles. ‘Spoiler deployment, emergency retro, engine cut-offs, extinguisher controls for engine fires in atmo, emergency venting, cockpit lock off in case of structural integrity failure.’ He looked at her and smiled tightly. ‘Sometimes it’s the pilot chooses who lives and who dies… rather a breathin’ pilot that can land her than a corpse at the console as she nose-dives dirtside, right?’

His smile faded. ‘Last, but not least.’ As he spoke he tapped the screen above the primary console. ‘Main sensor scope and transponer. You have a passive EM receiver mounted on the Saturn array and active pulse-doppler scanning from the antennae on the Lewis array. Every ship has ‘em, some military ships even have towed arrays, called Gimlets, so they have no ‘baffles’ and can’t be snuck up on. The transponder interrogates other ships to find out who they are, gives you a reading if they’ve got their transponder running... as a rule ships that look in good condition but aren't running a transponder are probably up to no good. Anyway, there’s a primary transceiver aerial on the Lewis array and an emergency transmit-only antenna on the Saturn array. It means that, even if we lose the Lewis array, we can still make ourselves known to passing ships and orbital stations and ground stations... no one'll think we're up to no good.’ He cast his eyes around the cockpit. ‘I think that just about covers it… so whadaya think?’
Captain Det McNally

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:26 pm

Alisha sat in a stunned silence, her eyes scanning the console trying and failing to make sense of the words that had spilled from McNally’s mouth. She wondered if this is how people felt when she started talking medical jargon. Finally she glanced over at the pilot, and smiled weakly, “I think you might need to try that again… and speak in English this time… Maybe with labels and diagrams…. And a remind me of what a ‘baffle’ is again…”

“I think I understood that a transponder is how the ships talk to each other… and a ship not talking and keeping to itself is probably up to no good, like naughty children in school. I understood the extinguisher bit for engine fires.” She nodded at the three switches atop the binnacle of the control yoke, not daring to relinquish her grip to point. “I understand these are important, but I couldn’t tell you why, something to do with how she’s flying… but I guess most of the console is to do with how she’s flying….”

She felt daft as she failed to comprehend and repeat back what he had just told her. She had always considered herself smart, and McNally had just reeled everything off in a ‘matter o’ fact’ way, making it sound as simple as counting to 100.
OOC- Cassie

Ship's Pilot

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:01 pm

McNally smiled slightly. 'That's not a bad start, most folks just shrug and look confused and say somethin' like, 'oh, yeah, I get it', and then they screw it up straight away.' He laid a hand on her arm. 'You can let her go now, she's under the nav-comp so she won't go nowhere unless it's a programmed course correction.' He then regarded her carefully, choosing his words. 'Maybe you need a little more time around a flight deck 'fore you take up a seat at a yoke. It ain't like you learnin' me first aidin', this is like you offerin' me a scalpel and saying, 'here's your patient and this is how you take out their spleen'. I reckon you need a few months just lookiin' over my shoulder, see what button does which thing, seeing a course plotted with a nav-comp and without a nav-comp, and learn about all the other doohickies in here. Then you can decide what else you need to know about flyin'.' He gestured into the black. 'Y'see this is the easy part, this ain't bein' a pilot, this is just bein' a caretaker, mindin' the store you might say. Best you see all the interestin' stuff first, then tell me whether you really want to learn to fly a crate o'spares like this.'
Captain Det McNally

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:35 pm

Tentatively Alisha relinquished her grip from the Yoke, pins and needles making her fingers tingle uncomfortably where the blood rushed back to her digest. She sat back into her seat drawing her knees up to her chest, “Doohickies? I’ve always liked your technical terms.” The young doctor glanced over and smiled at the pilot, tucking a stray hair behind her ear, “Next it’ll be Whatsits and Thingy-ma-jigs”

Her smile was small but genuine, like a weight had been lifted from her shoulders, “Where did you learn to fly then?” she queried, not wanting to give chance for an awkward silence to grow.
OOC- Cassie

Ship's Pilot

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:08 am

'Athens,' McNally replied softly, lowering his eyes. 'When I was workin' as an enforcer for Dmitri Krivak, he needed a couple of us to train as pilots, you know, for transportin' contraband from place to place without the authorities findin' out.' He raised his eyes to her once more. 'After Athens I was a scratch-pilot on the MacKenzie, made myself useful durin' the war while we ran guns to the Independents. After that I flew with the Independent military officially in the 313th Air-Drop Brigade.' He shrugged. 'So I've done plenny of flyin' in m'time.'
Captain Det McNally

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:03 pm

“What was it all like..” she asked, resting her chin on her knees and looking over to him. She didn’t just mean flying, but she wasn’t about to ask outright what the war was like. To her it was quite odd, she was fifteen by the time the war had ended, far to young to understand and to know. And it had never touched Persephone, certainly not in the parts of the world where she lived.

The war was just a story.

A part in her life when her Father had left for a time and no one would explain where he had gone, or when he would be back. That’s all it was, and then there was a huge party when it had all ended, and she was told they had won against the Browncoats.

Life was simpler then, everything was simpler before she had stepped onto the Rosin Dubh all those months ago.
OOC- Cassie
PreviousNext

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old