Flight from Shadow

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Tara O'Neil

Post Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Re: Flight from Shadow

She downs her own drink and pours again, slowly enough that it seems she's giving herself a pause to choose her words. She hands him the glass and sighs.

"Mostly we've been trying to find you."

She watches him as she continues "Once we got that message you sent out, well, after that we were planning and hoping an' doing a fair bit of prayin'."
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
They're the folk who if you cut 'em I bleed
If you cause 'em pain
if you twist their strengths to hurt them more
Start running

Because you have set your will against mine and I know not the meaning of mercy for you

Public Relations
Public Relations

Character name: Sherman Lee

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:42 pm

"So I've heard, I wasn't exactly the easiest person to find. All I managed to find out before being put on that ship was that I was on Ariel."

He downs the next shot, grimacing at the afterburn this time. Having not tasted strong alcohol for months his body was still becoming re-accustomed to it.

"I had to take out three security guards... and Sarah... to get that message out."

His mind went back to that evening, recalling the events. He stared blankly at the wall of the engine room, slowly rotating the shot glass in his hand. Hitting Sarah with the oxygen cylinder, the surprised look on the guards faces as they were taken down by a rabid one-armed man on a mission. The guards coming into the room while he was sending the message.

"The head of security gave me a real beating for that one. Turns out Sarah was his ex, and I put her in the hospital along with three of his guards. With one arm. He wasn't happy. I think Sarah might have forgiven me for that one, but he never did."
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:16 pm

She nods as he speaks.

Then she smiles and downs her own drink "Also seems to me that drinking on an empty stomach might be a fair stupid plan for either of us." She gets up and opens another locker and a slightly sweet aroma can be detected over that of oil and whiskey.

As she walks back, it's noticeable that she's limping but in her hands is a box that when put on the table contains a large selection of baked goods. She gives a snort of laughter and sets the food within easy reach "I had to do something to distract me for the last three days. Tuck in if you've a mind to."

Once she's sat down again she seems thoughtful "It sounds like I should talk to this Sarah pretty soon, from the sounds of it, there's a bit more to her than meets the eye."
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
If you cause 'em pain
Start running

Because you have set your will against mine and I know not the meaning of mercy for you

Public Relations
Public Relations

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:51 pm

"Agreed, I think a hangover might well kill me at this point!"

He notices she is limping, but the food in front of him completely clears his mind. He'd never seen so much as a ham sandwich in captivity, so it was quite overwhelming for him. Picking out a bun, he devours it rather unceremoniously, sending crumbs everywhere. Noticing the mess he'd made, he looks rather sheepishly at Tara.

"Sorry, I haven't had proper food in a while. These taste amazing! I didn't know you could bake?"

He picks out a muffin, eating it a lot slower than the first, enjoying the taste.

"She's a good kid, pretty smart, got a few Doctorates under her belt to do with cybernetics and the like."

He thinks back to Shadow, recalling the recent events on the planet.

"It was a good idea to stay on the ship, it was hell down there..."

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:30 pm

She smiles at his reaction to the food and nods as he talks. That he’s able to enjoy such simple pleasures bodes well for his resilience and future despite his earlier nightmares pointing to his having been traumatised by his captivity.

“I’ll need to talk to her soon, make sure she’s settled in and talk to her about your arm from the sounds of it. Might be a good idea to introduce her to Lily as well, they sound as if they might get on and have a lot in common.”

As soon as he mentioned Shadow, she clamped down hard on her own emotions and brought happier memories to mind instead.

“I grew up on a ranch. About 2000 klicks north of that camp we just evacuated. Cooking and baking were something I learnt before I was old enough to even know there was any other way of living, same as riding a horse and lighting a fire.” She can’t quite keep the emotion out of her voice though.

She takes a careful swig from her glass “Staying in orbit wasn’t my idea, Tobias was quite firm about both me and Henry staying on the Fawn until he was sure what was happening. I still don’t really know the details of what went on. The refugees don’t really know a lot and the Boss doesn’t seem in the mood to talk.”
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
If you cause 'em pain
Start running

Public Relations
Public Relations

Post Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:10 pm

"I think I need to introduce myself to Lily as well, barely spoken to her since she joined."

He mentally kicked himself for bringing up Shadow, he knew that Tara had history with the planet but it had momentarily slipped his mind with the thought of food in front of him.

"It's those sort of skills that make people happy. Everyone loves a good meal and tasty snacks!"

He motioned to the baked goods she had put in front of him, smiling and taking another cake for himself.

"I can tell you what happened down there if you want to hear it. I spent most of the time in the care of Burton and Alisha so I only got snippets mind. I'll warn you though, it wasn't pretty."

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:05 pm

“A ranch and a ship are a lot alike, folks are thrown together by the job and a need to earn a living, it’s not the safest of lifestyles but it’s pretty hard to beat.” She winks “I did tell you I was ships cook didn’t I?” She snags one of her own pastries and takes a bite.

Her expression goes more serious “Tell me when you’re ready to talk about it, but I’m going to level with ya. I’ve led an interestin’ life, I grew up with Doctorin’ in my blood and ranching in my heart and the War took me places I’d never have thought or wanted. But I did spend a good spell of time learning things I’d never have thought to look into if things had been different.”

She hesitated, trying to find the best words “I’ve had more training and experience than I’d ever have wanted helping people who’ve been hurt…damaged...by the things they’ve lived through. I don’t make it public knowledge, don’t really want folks to start asking a load of questions about how I came by that training, but if you need to talk or find memories are getting too much or that you’re hurting…” She left it hanging for a moment “I guess I’m trying to let you know that there are things that can be done to help with the sort of nightmare you were having back there.”
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
If you cause 'em pain
Start running

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:14 am

She refills both glasses and shrugs "I can wait to hear about Shadow. I know my folks couldn't have made it this long, that's no place for folks in their 70's. I knew that when I was talking to the Boss."
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
If you cause 'em pain
Start running

Public Relations
Public Relations

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:14 pm

"The War took me to a few interesting places too. If things had been different I certainly wouldn't have lived the life I have so far. I was a championship marksman back on Persephone, pretty good hunter too." He paused "Should probably go back there sometime..."

He looks at the glass, swirling the alcohol around in it before throwing it back.

"Let's forget about the past for now, enjoy the present and have a damn good time. Lord knows I need it!"

He tried to laugh, but the pain in his ribs cut it short, turning into a grimace instead.

"I'm gonna need a lot of that booze to stop that hurtin!"

He turned to her, looking more serious than before.

"I think I'm gonna need your help, the past few months have done a real number on my body and soul. It don't matter where you got the knowledge, so long as you have it."

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:25 pm

She nods at his suggestion to concentrate on the present for a few hours and then flinches in sympathy as his laugh is cut short.

"I'll be here, I promise, ya hear?" She shakes her head a little and sips her drink "You carry on throwing those shots back too fast though and you'll be out cold before Henry can say hello and too far gone to know if you're hurting ya'self. " But she refills his glass anyhow and stretches till her back pops.

"Ah, before I forget and we get distracted, when you've had a while to heal up, would you be willing to teach me how to fly a shuttle? Seems we've got another one and I'm getting tired of having to beg a lift every time I need to go visit the Rose or go anywhere else."

Another smile that doesn't reach her eyes "I'm not so fond of having to rely on others and I've a feeling it's a skill that might come in handy down the road." this time her laugh is genuine "I never thought I'd really want to know how to travel faster than a gallop but riding ain't the most useful skill out here."

She looks up and makes full eye contact and it seems there isn't a hint of the booze having hit her yet "One other thing, I know the Boss assigned you a bunk but I already spoke to Henry, there's space down here any time you want to sleep where there's more space and friends."
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
If you cause 'em pain
Start running

PreviousNext

Return to Jade Fawn