Flight from Shadow

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Tara O'Neil

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:43 pm

Flight from Shadow

She and Zar had worked through the refugees, checking for injuries and more importantly illness that could spread in the crowded hold and she found herself looking at every one of them hoping and dreading that there would be a familiar face. She knew the chances of finding any of her kin was slim and she bit down on her anger at having been ordered to remain on board the Fawn.

Tobias had been right, he was far better suited to find any of her family and far more able to judge if it was safe or wise to do so but the pain was raw and her hands were shaking as she worked, cleaning and dressing wounds, setting broken bones, noting those who needed to see a surgeon or who’d need drugs they just didn’t have, it took hours and she almost welcomed the exhaustion.

Finally, the last refugee was processed, the last name noted and it was time to leave them to settle in. She chose to take the long route back upstairs when they finished, it gave her time to get her self-control back and privacy to cry. Stopping off on the way to scrub her hands and face, she went up to the door of the quarters Lloyd had been given and knocked gently. “It’s Tara, can I come in?”
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
They're the folk who if you cut 'em I bleed
If you cause 'em pain
if you twist their strengths to hurt them more
Start running

Because you have set your will against mine and I know not the meaning of mercy for you

Public Relations
Public Relations

Character name: Sherman Lee

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:09 pm

Re: Flight from Shadow

Lloyd had collapsed into his new bunk as soon as he had got aboard. The sheer exhaustion and trauma of the past few days had fully caught up with him now the adrenalin had worn off. He had escaped one hell into another, unsure as to which was worse, and made it back to his friends. For this he was grateful, but all he could think about was the feeling of electricity coursing through his body. The sight of the dead lying the field, the whistle of the mortar shells and other experiences from the past 5 months kept playing through his mind. He wasn't sleeping, he was back in hell again.

The knock at the door woke him from the nightmare, causing him to scream loudly and fall off the bunk. Despite the pain, he crawled to the corner of the room, unsure if he had reopened any of his healing wounds, and curled up into a ball. He heard the muffled sound of Tara's voice, but he couldn't bring himself to respond. Even though he was awake the nightmare continued, the room looked like another cell, the cell on the ship where he was beaten, tasered and almost killed. He found himself tensing up, as if he knew a beating was coming, and waited for the door to open.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:33 pm

She heard the yell and the thump through the closed door and flinched. Closing her eyes for a moment she took a slow breath and opened the door, slipping inside and closing it behind her to keep anyone passing from seeing in.

Lloyd was curled in a ball, shaking and clearly not really aware of his surroundings and for a moment Tara too was a long way away, seeing others who’d been through more than they could bear, before she stood up straighter and took a step closer before sitting down, not quite within arms-length.

“Lloyd, can you hear me?” She carried on speaking in a low voice “You’re safe here honey, you understand? I’m not gonna let anyone hurt you, Tobias ain’t gonna let anyone hurt you either. I’m just going to sit here and keep you company for a while, ya hear?” Her eyes were busy as her mind, taking in fading bruises, the taped fingers and bandaged hand, the half healed wounds on his bruised and swollen wrist and the stitches on his cheek as well as a slow seep of blood on his arm that suggested other wounds aggravated or torn.
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
If you cause 'em pain
Start running

Because you have set your will against mine and I know not the meaning of mercy for you

Character name: Ridgie

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:15 pm

The yell cut through all thoughts, and brought waves of shame flooding over Ridgie, It was a noise he had heard all to often on board the transport ship and the guilt that he felt engulfed him.
Ridgie got out of his cot wandered over to his kit and poured him self a drink downed it in one and went back to lay down and covered his head with his pillow.

Public Relations
Public Relations

Post Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:39 pm

He brought his hands in front of his face, seeing the grime and dried blood that covered his right hand. The bandage wrapped around his broken fingers was frayed and filthy, having not stood up well to the rigors of the final fight. Blood was running down his left arm, a consequence of opening stitches on one of his wounds. He realised he must look awful, looking at his blackened clothing and remembering the mortar shell that landed mere feet away from him. The base of the column holding up the hut had saved his life, but he had been showered with dirt and debris as a result. Looking up at Tara, he felt somewhat safer, though the images kept rushing past in his mind.

"Tara... I thought I'd never see you again... The past few months, Shadow, everything... I'm messed up real bad this time..."

He sat up and placed his right hand gingerly on his bleeding shoulder wound, staring far beyond the walls of the ship.

"I'm bleeding again."

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:21 am

She didn’t move but smiled “You sure ain’t a pretty picture but it’s good to see you lad, was worried we might not when that ship blew. Never thought I’d owe the Boys on the Lady Luck a drink for going above and beyond but am right glad I do.” Another slightly sad smile

You’ll have to tell me the whole story when you feel up to it…and tell me about that scared looking little kitten in the white coat Tobias sent on board.” She pats the half empty bag at her side “All of the refugees are patched up and settled in so I’m a bit light on supplies. Do you reckon you’re up to a bit of a walk through to the engine room? I’ve got more supplies down there and there’s a fair bit more room…might make you feel a mite less…as if the walls are closing in on ya if you get my meaning?”
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
If you cause 'em pain
Start running

Public Relations
Public Relations

Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:25 pm

"I think I owe them more than a beer."

He snapped out of the stare, shaking his head to clear it. Finally looking up at her, he smiled, the engine room had been the scene of his last fun visit.

"That'll be Sarah, she kept me alive the past few months, knows about Cybernetics and the like. Helped fit this new arm too, and fix it when it got busted."

He got slowly to his feet, wincing as various parts of his body hit out in pain.

"Henry still got some of that booze? I think I'm due some."

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:28 pm

Saying a silent prayer that folks would be too busy to notice them or too wise to crowd round, she offered an arm to lean on and they made their way slowly towards the rear of the ship. She locked the doors behind her and sighed in relief. Best to warn folks to not be creeping up on Lloyd for a while but that'd ensure some sense of safety for now and not many tended to come down to visit the engine room without warning due to a couple of near misses and some strategically placed sensors that gave them a heads up.

"I figure Henry's made himself scarce for a while in case I needed to be doctorin' but he's likely only down the ladder checking the water reclamation system. You feel up to being examined and getting those dressings changed?"

She helped him sit down on a folding cot in the corner and pulled open a storage locker to restock her bag and grab other medical supplies.
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
If you cause 'em pain
Start running

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:01 pm

It took a while, she wasn’t hurrying and wanted to check his responses as much as his physical health and she felt no need to push him to talk.

Every cut and scrape was cleaned, the freshly opened wound on his shoulder was numbed and restitched, his fingers likewise numbed before she reset them after he admitted having rebroken them and his hand rebandaged and splinted.

A bit of digging even turned up some clean spare clothing that wasn't more than a couple of sizes too big and finally she tidied up and pulled out a bottle and some glasses. She poured a stiff shot into two glasses and offered one to Lloyd.

"Welcome home." There was a suspicion of moisture in her eyes but she smiled reassuringly.
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
If you cause 'em pain
Start running

Public Relations
Public Relations

Post Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:10 pm

Lloyd flinched away to start with, an unconscious reaction that had been drilled into him over the past few months. He winced a little while his wounds were being cleaned up, letting out a grunt of pain as his fingers were reset. Besides Sarah and the medics on Shadow, it had been the first time he felt like he was being properly care for. The beatings and other things that had harmed his body over the past few months seemed distant, allowing him to relax a little.

He took the shot glass slowly, letting the smell of alcohol fill the air around him. He breathed in deeply, before letting out a long sigh and throwing the shot back into his mouth. It tasted just how he remembered, with the lovely afterburn going through his body. He closed his eyes for a moment, savouring a feeling he hadn't felt in a very long time.

"It's good to be home."

He opened his eyes and passed the shot glass back in Tara's direction.

"So what have I missed? Feels like I've been gone a very, very long time..."
Next

Return to Jade Fawn