Time passes...

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Tara O'Neil

Post Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Time passes...

...The Black soothes a soul more than a lot of people ken but some things leave a mark no matter what.

The experience with Caine’s memory therapy and its aftermath had been several weeks ago and Tara, along with Carter and to a fair degree Caine were settled back to some level of, if not peace, than acceptance.

Tara visited the Roisin Dubh once every few days when the ships were travelling together or when they were in port. Their sessions were now little more than a chance to touch base and chat instead of emotionally draining and nightmare fuelling - but there was still a sense of something disconnected among them, of memories and emotions that felt raw.

For Caine it was the loss of a past that had seemed constant, the loss of trust in that past and the walls it had set between him and people he’d known for most of his adult life. He’d made a peace with it of sorts, but there was still that nagging feeling of loneliness that not even a new sense of purpose could dispel.

For Tara and Henry, the only two Browncoats on a ship of civilians, captained by someone who’d served the Alliance during the War it was more a drawing together. They’d not shared any details with the Companions or the young cortexer and if they spent more time than usual sat talking about friends from the past of an evening down in the engine room; well, no one seemed to notice or comment.

After a year of knowing each other, their shared distress at the rekindling of those old losses had opened an easiness and willingness to talk about the past that was probably good for both of them. Now, if dreams of memories disturbed their sleep there was no need or intent to slink away in silence. But they too were still trying to reconnect with the present.

If Tara chose to steer clear of pushing him on the subject of Caine, well that was her decision. He'd found his old side arm, along with a cup of tea and with the ammo neatly lined up next to it on his workbench the morning after he'd given it to her. Tara's way of telling him Caine was no longer on the ship and he chose not to mention it either.
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
They're the folk who if you cut 'em I bleed
If you cause 'em pain
if you twist their strengths to hurt them more
Start running

Because you have set your will against mine and I know not the meaning of mercy for you

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Tara O'Neil

Post Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: Time passes...

Something about the approach of Christmas always made Tara think of home and this year, well, it was all the more poignant as memories of her homeworld were so fresh. The year before she’s barely known her shipmates, now they felt like family and the thoughts of her old life got her to thinking about how she could show those around her how grateful she was for their presence in her life and the way they’d welcomed her into theirs.

Not that it didn’t call for a bit of…creativity…and occasionally downright guile to do so mind… Which is why she’s presently sat in one of the unused crew bunks with the box of gifts she’s carefully been building up over the last few weeks on the small table in front of her and a bag of fabric scraps in her hand. There were no likely places to pick up anything else between now and Christmas and the last port of call had not exactly been a fine shopping hub but she was pretty sure there were enough pretty bits to wrap things nicely enough. Hopefully everyone on board was still fast asleep so she’d get some time while breakfast cooked. Most of them didn’t wake up till she put the coffee on anyhow...
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
They're the folk who if you cut 'em I bleed
If you cause 'em pain
if you twist their strengths to hurt them more
Start running

Because you have set your will against mine and I know not the meaning of mercy for you

Return to Jade Fawn