An interesting Find

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:09 am

An interesting Find

Henry had been raking his brains all night about how to approach this, when she'd come aboard Henry had promised Tara all the privacy she'd wanted in the engine room. And up until last night he'd honoured that but what he'd found whilst looking for that part had disturbed him.

She professed to be on of the Good guys, a fellow Browncoat, so what in the almighty's name was she doing with an Alliance Medal and not just any old medal, but the Alliances highest award for bravery.

It just didn't add up.

He was all for booting her out of the Engine room but she'd plugged enough holes in him and helped around the bay enough to get a chance to explain it. she'd earned that much, so he waited patiently for her to wake up.

It was gonna be a long day

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Tara O'Neil

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:34 am

Re: An interesting Find

For a moment, as she woke, it seemed that dreams and reality merged. Darkness, silence, the smell of...no… no smell of blood here, no smell of damp stone and death.

It was too quiet though; the faint glow of equipment lights told her all was well with the ship. That was one thing she’d made a point to learn, which lights were good and which she needed to be concerned about. Not that they came on for long, Carter had a knack for being there just before things broke. Not like some she’d known who only knew what a ship was doin’ once they smelt the smoke.

Ah, that’s it, no snoring, well, either he’s finally gotten into a position in that damn hammock that works or something woke them both up.

A quick look at her clock showed it was best part of an hour before she needed to be up to sort breakfast but the idea of going back to sleep was not appealing…

As usual, she slipped quietly out of bed and dressed before bundling up her bedding and cot to stow away for the day without turning on the main lights.
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
They're the folk who if you cut 'em I bleed
If you cause 'em pain
if you twist their strengths to hurt them more
Start running

Because you have set your will against mine and I know not the meaning of mercy for you

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:21 am

Whilst He'd waited Henry had been to the galley and made a pot of Tea and a pot of Coffee, if he was gona have the conversation then they'd both need the drinks.

He came back in just as Tara was finishing packing her stuff into her locker he put the pots down on the small table he had in there along with a couple of steel mugs

"Mornin' Tara, look I didn't mean to pry but during the night I ended up having to go into the locker I'd given ya for a spare and well whilst I was pulling it out I found this"

Carter put the medal on the table

"I think we need to talk"

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:33 am

She didn't so much as sit down on one of the stools as manage to make sure she was right close by it when her legs kinda gave way. After a few seconds where she seemed to be looking at something a long way from the engine room of a Huntress class ship she seemed to come back to herself.

"What do you want to know?"
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
If you cause 'em pain
Start running

Because you have set your will against mine and I know not the meaning of mercy for you

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:29 am

What did he want to know?

There was a laundry list of things he wanted to know but where to start on it

"Okay first off what gets said in this room ain't leavin' this room, I want you to know that up front"

Whilst Tara might not have known it being half deaf didn't mean he was completely deaf, he'd noticed that Tara had sometimes woken up in the middle of the night and just made sure that he hadn't re-acted, if she'd wanted to talk about it he was there, but with the Medal he'd put 2 and 2 together, just hoping that he'd come up with 4 and not 9

"I assume that the Medal has something to do with the Nightmares?"

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:23 pm

She made a good show of it, her hand barely shaking as she reached over and poured a mug of coffee for herself and tea for him before offering the hint of a smile and hitching the other stool out for him to sit on.

Tara wrapped her fingers round the mug as if to warm them, and looked into the dark liquid before clearing her throat. “In a manner of speakin’, well some of them, anyhow.” She finally took a good swig of the coffee and met his eyes for a moment.

“I joined the cause within weeks of hostilities breaking out, same as most folk my age did on Shadow, would have been sooner but I needed to make sure my practice had cover and tidy up a few loose ends at home. I was young, but not as young as most of the boys doing the fighting and I was used to living without a lot of fancy equipment so it was pretty sure that I’d end up assigned to a combat medical unit. Didn’t take long before I got a bit of a reputation for being able to keep it together under fire and keep folks alive when they really aught not to have made it back so I got transferred to some even more interestin’ duties where I’d be providing medical support to a unit operating a mite…beyond the front line if ya get my meaning.”

He nodded, they all knew such units existed, was about the only way a war like that could operate at times.

“I did that for most of the next three years, had a few close calls, saw a pile o’things I’d never want to have to think about again if’n I had the option and then we went in to little place called Du-Khang where the Brass reckoned there’d be one hell of a battle if we did things the way they was planned.”

She laughed at her own words but there was nothing like humour in her voice “O’course, them purple bellies had plans of their own and things went south pretty fast. Our radio opp died the first night and most of the rest of the unit were wounded or dead over the next couple of days. Did a good amount of damage in the process but well, words like overwhelming odd might not have meant a lot to us, but the math adds up after a while.”

She gulped down the rest of the coffee and Carter refilled her mug to give her a few moments to refocus her thoughts.

“By that point in the battle there wasn’t anyone who really knew what was going on truth be told and the three of us who was left stumbled on a forward medical station just as the worst of the shelling started.” Again a pause “Wilson, well she didn’t make it to cover in time ‘cause she pushed me and Harris down to steps ahead of her on account of I was holding his innards in at the time.

During the night, more casualties kept coming in and I scrubbed up and got on with saving lives. The stretcher bearers bought in a lad who couldn’t have been more’n seventeen, he sure wasn’t shaving regular and I spent a good few minutes stopping him bleeding out before I even noticed his dog tags were alliance not Independent. Right about then, the order came through to pull back, but the lad on the table in front of me, along with a couple of our boys were in no condition to be moved and findin’ myself the ranking officer there I got on the radio to HQ and might have been a wee bit sharp in my suggestion that they get us something resembling reinforcements…I’m not a hundred percent sure if they liked my manner o’ speakin but when the pile of go sei on the other end of the line threatened me with a court martial if I didn’t fall back things coulda gotten quite heated if’n the radio hasn’t chosen that exact moment to burn out.” There was a glint in her eye for a moment that left no uncertainty that the radio had quite a bit of help.

“We carried on taking in wounded for the rest of that day and well into the next, there was no such thing as order in those ruins, the battle went back and forth like a game of Go and all it really came down to was a whole bunch of terrified folk trying to stay alive while both sides dropped bombs on them. People would stagger in begging us to save their buddies and neither they nor I nor the orderly I had with me cared about what uniform they’d started the war wearing as we were all mostly wearing blood and rags.” She shuddered at some memory but continued.

“Anyhow, the shelling was getting more and more intense so we dragged the wounded in under the most solid looking part of the cellar we were in and carried on as best we could.”

She put the cup down now and again made eye contact “I don’t rightly remember a lot after that. I remember the concussion of something a lot bigger than artillery and throwing myself over a couple of the worst injured boys as the cellar gave way, but after that it’s mostly the sorta thing I try not to revisit if you get my meaning. I was told after that it was probably best part of another day before things calmed down and some fool of an Alliance officer went looking for the crazy Browncoat medic who one of his surviving troopers swore blind had stayed out there during the biggest bombardment of the war so far and dragged me and a few other survivors out from under the rubble.”
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
If you cause 'em pain
Start running

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:07 pm

"Next thing I really remember, I woke up in the shiniest, whitest,cleanest Alliance hospital I coulda ever dreamed of. Still with all manner of tubes and lines in me and floatin on so many pain meds I was half convinced I’d found about the craziest vision o heaven in the book.”
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
If you cause 'em pain
Start running

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Henry sat there for a good long while taking in that information

He'd learned from experience that Tara was the kind of Medic who wouldn't leave the patient to fate. Now he knew exactly how far she'd go to save someone.
It was also a good thing to know to what extent she took her oath to Heal seriously, thanks to her a load of his compatriots where still alive and, sure whilst the guys who had put em on her table were also alive, at least she'd treated everyone with the same level of care, the right for someone to decide what they thought was best was something Henry could get behind, after all it was one of the main reasons he'd signed up.

"OK Tara thanks for being honest with me, I'm sorry I brought it up"

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:11 pm

The look on her face was one of transparent relief “No apology needed my friend.” She picked up the medal and turned it over and over in her hand a few times before she spoke again. “I don’t even know why I keep the damn thing, it’s not like I need reminding of that part of my life.” But she slipped it into her pocket anyhow.

She got up and then hesitated for a moment before turning and looking him in the eye “Thank you. Not a lot of people would have asked instead of just making some ugly guesses.”
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
If you cause 'em pain
Start running

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Then a smile spread across her face “Ah, screw this, this conversation is too maudlin for this time of the morning.” If the smile didn’t quite reach her eyes, well it was a good attempt “You feel like giving me a hand with breakfast for the promise of real eggs and something that’s pretty damn close to bacon?”
Family
Crew
The word don't matter
If you cause 'em pain
Start running

Next

Return to Jade Fawn