Insomnia 2

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:28 pm

Re: Insomnia 2

McNally squeezed her shoulders reassuringly, and nudging her into the room, before leaving her side to go find and make coffee. Alisha for a moment didn't know how to respond, she had armed herself for being shouted at, maybe even another argument. She had steeled herself to apologise, but hadn't expected one back. And see certainly didn't expect a compliment.

She sat down with him at the table, accepting the chocolates and clutching them in her hands, to hide the slight tremor in her fingers. "I'm sorry too... I.. I know I'm not easy to live will.. And I.. I shouldn't have shouted.. And I know I've made some pretty big mistakes" She fumbled over her words, unsure really of what to say.
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: William Burton

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:50 pm

Sitting at the table beside her he let out a breath. Well as least she hadn't thrown them back at him or told him to go away.
He wasn't certain where to begin, then decided to start at the beginning.
Taking a deep breath be began, "I'm going to try and explain why I acted like I did. There's no excuse for it, but I hope that by telling you you'll be able to maybe forgive me for the awful things I said." There, it was a beginning. "When we installed the infirmary I took a lot of time getting everything together and sorting it out just how I wanted it. I was very proud of it. Never before had I had my own infirmary, usually had to share it with other. It was perfect. Then you came on board, and without even asking decided to change everything. -This annoyed me, so I changed it back thinking maybe you'd just put things in the wrong place. The third time I realised that it wasn't a mistake. I didn't say anything as I realised that you had a bit of a drink problem." He wondered if he should have maybe phrased it a bit more delicately, then decided that now was maybe not the time to dance round things. "And that this was your way of not drinking. So while it was an annoyance I didn't say anything." He pushed his used cup round in front of him. "I don't think I have ever seen you not in control of yourself when you've been operating. -Can't say the same for myself." He added sadly, remembering their landing on Higgin's Moon. "I've been worried sick since I found out that the Alliance that I signed up to protect and serve is not all I thought it was. They want me for questioning over dealing in black market organs. All because I tried to do the right thing and get them to the person who needed them. -I've seen the aftermath of one of their questioning sessions and it's not pretty." The memories made him shudder.
I hate flying!
This one's got no pulse. -Next!

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:36 pm

He saw her jaw tense when he mentioned her drinking problem, she knew she had bullied him out of the infirmary, she had just tried to make it, make some kind of logical sense, to make it easier. While you’re ‘organising’ your hands are too busy to hold a glass

“You’re not a bad doctor… You… you have a… better, handle on all this running around lark than I do. I’m so far out of my depth here, I was fresh out of school and just starting to make a name for myself when I left.. And” she glanced at McNally, before continuing and returning her gaze to her hands, “The black isn’t a nice place. My first encounter what it was really like was Zenith… I’m not a solider, I was never prepared for life outside my bubble. My hospital and my folks house… I’ve made some pretty bad decisions, most of them in the past year…”
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:47 pm

"Trust me the black is nothing like Zenith. -That was a nightmare!" He said, "Even my training didn't prepare me for that." He smiled weakly at her. "I think you did pretty well if that was your first real trip out in the black."
He looked back into his cup. "You know, it's strange how lots of little, different things, -things that aren't even connected can build up, and then one thing silly such as a dirty mug can blow the whole lot and it comes out at anyone, and things are said that aren't meant."
There was a silence.
"I'm scared Corbon. Scared of what they'll do if they catch me." He admitted. "And I'm still trying to get over Oz. -I've had to end peoples lives many times in war, but they've always been in incredible pain with no hope of making it through. Oz was different, he didn't appear to be in pain, well there was no brain activity. But still." He shook his head sadly "There's many other things." Poppy, May, the security guard, the mudder who'd attacked him and he'd failed to stop Caine from killing. It would only have taken a word from him to have saved her life. And many others he thought.
"I can't take back what I've said. That's the horrible thing about words."
He looked at her.
"Maybe we can help each other?" He suggested hopefully. "You show me how to have a better bedside manner, and I'll try and show you how to deal with all the running around." He smiled.
I hate flying!

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:41 pm

McNally tried not to eavesdrop, but their voices carried across the quiet mess-deck and making coffee wasn’t a particularly noisy activity. He topped off a fresh pot and glanced to the table, finding Burton gazing into his mug. There was never going to be a perfect moment to go over so McNally just wandered up and put the pot down. ‘Fresh coffee,’ he said softly, pouring a measure into Alisha’s mug first, then Burton’s, before pouring for himself and sitting down on the other side of the table and a hush descended.

Finally he said, ‘We all make mistakes and we’re all scared, at sometime and in some way. My Aunt Katherine used to say that to make a mistake you have to be doing something.’ He smiled slightly. ‘And if the mistake is fatal, well, you’re not gonna be around to regret nothin’.’ He eyed Alisha and Burton in turn. ‘And if you’re not scared, it don’t mean enough to you. I always said I’d quite fightin’ when I stopped feelin’ scared before a fight. Zenith scared the bejezuz outta me too and so do the Alliance, for what it’s worth. You gotta feel the fear and do it anyway, or else you’ll be at square one all the time not doing or saying nothin’, maybe not makin’ mistakes, but certainly not livin’.’ He took a sip of coffee and smiled tightly. ‘You’re right, Burton, you can’t take back what’s been said, much less undo what’s been done, but, when I think about all the things I’ve said and done...’ his voice trailed away and he shrugged slightly. ‘You’re both saints compared.’ He sipped his coffee again and shook his head. ‘Still needs sugar.’
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:40 pm

Alisha smiled as McNally came over, graciously accepting the coffee, as it gave her something else to do with her hands, rather than clutching at the box of chocolates that Burton had given her. “When did you get all philosophical?” She smiled, both her hands wrapped around the mug, “You’re starting to sound like Lock!”

“I’ve been scared since I left for the black,” Taking a sip from her coffee, she pondered his words silently, a small smile creeping to her lips, she had spent so much time out of her depths, so much time, being scared, terrified even. But it had never paralysed her, it had never stopped her doing her Job as a doctor.. has yet to stop her living. Even on Zenith she managed some kind of action. Granted, a lot of that was screaming… and waving a gun at shadows… When Mama Chang had McNally, she had been scared, but had gone with the crew to fetch him.

“Everyone has been under duress this past few months.” She stated simply, sipping her coffee. “Some more than others, some hide it better, some… don’t. But since Zenith, things have not been right” her fingers drummed against the body of her coffee cup.
“Call it…” Alisha shrugged slightly, Call it she had used the phrase on her table before now. It was her way of saying it’s over, the argument was done, dead and buried. “Family’s fight, and at the end of the day, they are no less family… We’ll just, get back up, dust ourselves off, and keep going. Words sting like knives, and you hurt me… I’m sure I’ve done the same right back. But the Black is too big to travel alone, and the Ships too small to stay angry and avoid each other.”
OOC- Cassie

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Burton cautiously accepted the coffee from McNally, he was still waiting for the fighter to deck him.
Like Corbon he was surprised with how philosophical the man was, he hadn't expected him to say such things.
While he'd never used the term "Call it." He knew what it meant, and appreciated it.
"New beginning?" He asked holding out his hand.
I hate flying!

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:36 pm

Alisha looked at him for a good long while, before her small fragile hand clasped Burton’s in a handshake. All the while thoughts flew through her mind about how things said cannot be unsaid or unmeant, that the bitterness will always be there, that the pain those words had caused, will still always be there. That she will always think of William Burton as irresponsible and incompetent, and that there is nothing true about a clean slate.

But he doesn’t need to hear that

She gave him a weary smile, “New beginnings” she repeated. The young doctor held up her coffee mug, “Cheers…” she mumbled, softly tapping Burton’s before releasing his hand and taking another sip
OOC- Cassie

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:15 pm

"New beginnings." He echoed before taking a sip of the coffee savouring the taste and lost himself in his thoughts.
While they may have said everything was now fine betwen them, it was going to take a long time for the hurt to go away, if it ever did.
He didnt like running away from thing, especialy problems he was part of, but maybe it was for the best he was moving. They'd smile and be civil to each other maybe even laugh at each others jokes, but there'd still be tension, from Alisha at least. He could let things go. Actualy maybe not this, she'd called into question his skills. While it may have been justified he was going to have a hard time letting that go.
He sighed softly.
"You going to eat those?" He asked indicating the chocolates she clutched in her other hand.
I hate flying!

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:09 pm

‘Shouldn’t be eatin’ chocolates for breakfast,’ McNally muttered draining his cup and glancing at the leather and brass adornment on his wrist. He felt Alisha’s eyes on him as he checked the time on the chrono Mama Chang had given to him. ‘Too damned early for breakfast anyways.’ He looked to Burton and then to Alisha seeing renewed contempt for that woman. ‘You two’d be best serving yourself a helpin’ o’sleep first.’ McNally remarked as he reached his feet and stretched. ‘I’m serious, now. Go, git!’

'But... but I'm not tired,' Burton said plaintively.

McNally gave him a look that simply said 'don't argue'. 'Don't argue,' McNally said softly. 'If'n you can't sleep, at least git rested. Can't have y'all in strung out shape next time we're dirt-side and all hell breaks loose.' He looked to Alisha. 'If it helps you can rest up in my bunk, keep Soc company.'

'What about you?' Alisha asked.

'I need to check on the nav-comp, I'd need to be doin' it for a course correction in any case so, seein' as you got me up all bright'n'early...' He waved them towards the back of the mess deck. 'Go on, now, go rest!'
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’
PreviousNext

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old