Insomnia 2

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:18 pm

Re: Insomnia 2

McNally regarded Lock at the hatchway. ‘She okay?’ he asked softly.

Lock shrugged, his reply a tense whisper. ‘Did you hit Burton?’

McNally felt a smile tug at his lips, but shook his head slowly. ‘He’s already in strung-out shape.’

Lock thumbed back into the cockpit. ‘So’s she.’

‘Go easy on ‘im,’ McNally remarked. ‘He’s just wakin’ up to the fact that the Alliance ain’t all he believed.’ McNally moved through into the cockpit, seeing Alisha tucked up in the pilot’s seat, her head down and her knees up. He could hear her steady even breaths as she slept and he raised his eyes to the star-field. Like the seafarers from Earth-that-was, spacefarers always looked for the patterns the stars made in the black, except some of those glimmers of light weren’t stars, they were planets and moons. He slowly lowered himself into the second seat, trying to stop the padding creak so as not to rouse her, and sat back, hugging the mug to his chest and sipping the hot, black liquid. ‘Needs sugar,’ he muttered as he took in the staggering beauty of the ‘verse.
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: William Burton

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:14 pm

Watching McNally walk head up to the cockpit Burton sagged in his chair. He'd expected the man to hit him, or at least give him a similar verbal bashing as he'd given Corbon.
The use of his first name had really hit home, people rarely called him William, and the fact that McNally did told him he was being serious.

He started to go over what he'd said, what he could remember anyway, he'd been so angry, and that had really surprised him.
Leaning forward he rested his elbows on the table clasped his hands, his head resting on the thumbs. He'd wait here for her, she had to come this way.
It's a bloody miracle no one's died on the table while you've been dealing with them. What right had he to say such a thing? Him of all people, who over a screw up with his own problem had endangered not only himself, but others.
Maybe she was right, and he was incapable and not worthy of the title of doctor.
His last few trips planet side he hadn't done the name much good. Miss used his skills and equipment for his own gain, suggested the genocide of an entire planet, even it if was a joke, and finally on Zenith been all too willing to shoot someone who was fleeing rather than chase them.
"I took an oath to preserve life. Not doing that too well just recently." He said quietly.
I hate flying!
This one's got no pulse. -Next!

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:37 pm

McNallys coffee had long vanished when the young doctor finally started to stir, Being curled up on McNallys chair, was not was not the most comfortable perch with her knees tucked up to her chest. She couldn't remember dreaming, but she reckoned she had not been dozing all that long, she felt exhausted, maybe even exhausted enough so she could actually get a full sleep she pondered as she started to move.

She breathed in deeply mumbling as she started to unfold and stretch. She straightened her legs one at a time, then shrugging her shoulders In an attempt to unknot them,. Finally Alisha blearily opened her eyes, sweeping her hair back from her face and running her fingers through it.

"Good morning Bao Bei" McNally smiled, watching her eye focus quickly as he spoke.
"Morning Det, sorry I didn't mean to be in your way...." She smiled, but it didn't quiet reach her eyes, "You could have just shoved me out of your chair.."
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Ship's Pilot

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:16 am

McNally regarded Alisha thoughtfully. ‘Seemed like you needed a little shut-eye,’ he said softly. ‘An’ it’s only my seat ‘til I die or ‘til Lock finds a better pilot.’ He smiled but his dark humour didn’t seem to sit well with her. ‘Anyways, you an’ Burton were disagreein’ so loud you spooked Soc. You fracture m’cat’s calm, you’re liable to fracture mine.’ He gestured to the star-field. ‘But a view like this’ll remind a man what’s significant in that moment ain’t nothin’ but a glimmer in the black.’
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:47 pm

“I-I’m sorry…” Alisha frowned, it wasn’t just going to go away with a bit of sleep, and the problem with Burton was going to sit there like a weight in the pit of her stomach until it was solved. The only problem was she wasn’t exactly sure how to ‘solve’ this one, there was no quick fix. Both parties had said some pretty horrible things, and in anger and drunken stupor, the truth always comes out. “I just..” She sighed and brought her knees back up to her chest, wrapping her arms around them and gazing out at the black. “I don’t know what got into me… I’m just.. not coping.”

The seconds passed in silence as they both stared out at the stars, before Alisha finally continued, her voice barely above a whisper. “I’m tired, but can’t sleep. I’m thirsty but can’t drink. I’ve reorganised what will be infirmary A twice since Lock’s announcement. When I do sleep I have nightmares, every time I leave my room I ruin something else… and I was only having coffee and he shouted at me, and I didn’t know why, and I didn't know what to do and… and… And I just can’t anymore..” her voice cracked, as she buried her head in her arms, golden curls sticking up at odd angles and hiding her from view. “..it’s too hard..” she mumbled, “I can’t…”
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Ship's Pilot

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:59 pm

‘So that’s it, uh?’ McNally grunted. ‘You’re just... givin’ up? Just like that. You ain’t gonna fight, you ain’t gonna struggle, you’re just gonna want this key back and you’re gonna crawl back into the bottom of a bottle, is that it?’ He shook his head dismissively. ‘Maybe I should go get that piece I bought ya so you can put a bullet in your brain-pan and end it all. Maybe that’d be a better way, uh? Lead injection in the ear, that’s what they used to call it back in the war, when they needed to put someone out of their misery but couldn’t spare the drugs, is that what you’re figurin’?’ He turned his head slightly. ‘Well, I got news for ya, you don’t get to give up, you don’t get to give in!’ He rose sharply, moving faster than a man his size had any right to, and she regarded him with tearful eyes. ‘You wan’ed me to help you,’ he growled with some menace. ‘You asked the crew... you asked this family... to help you. So we’re gonna. You don’t get to quit on me, to quit on us, you’re with us for the long haul.’ He crouched by her side and his voice became a soft whisper as he stroked the hair from her face. ‘I went through all Hell to keep Mama Chang of your back so you owe me this much. You are better than this, you are stronger than this... and you can do this.’
Captain Det McNally

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:36 am

“..but..” She stared at him green eyes waking up and finding a life do them, “…It’s hard…” Even as she said the words she knew she didn’t have an argument, McNally had put a halt to any kind of response. He had told her no. No she’s not allowed to fail, no there are too many people helping, no she can’t quit. And then the pit of guilt that was Mama Chang was lay before her. She owes him. He was using that to keep her fighting, to keep her struggling to bring the fire back to green eyes.

She wrapped her arms round his chest, and rested her head on his shoulders, taking from him his strength and his confidence in her. There was so much going wrong, and she found it so hard to relax. But the crew we’re fighting for her. All except Burton, but compared to everyone, he had the most reason to be angry with her. “I don’t know the next steps anymore Det..”
OOC- Cassie

Ship's Pilot

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:48 am

McNally sighed. ‘I can’t tell you what you do next but I will tell you this.’ He lifted her head until she was forced for look into his cold blue eyes. ‘You ain’t failin’.’ He tugged at the chain around his neck, the key glinting. ‘You ain’t taken this back, you ain’t asked for it an’, as much as you’re cravin’, you ain’t caved in. What you are doin’ is wallowin’ in self-pity... and take it from me, that’s now way to live.’ He shrugged slightly. ‘I figure everyone’s allowed to wallow for a spell, but this is habit formin’ an’ you need to pick yourself up and keep goin’.

‘How?’ she asked, her voice a harsh croak.

‘Maybe by makin’ a peace with Burton,’ he said and saw her jaw clench. ‘Now I’m not gonna presume what got you and him all bent outta shape, but I seen two bruised egos that may need to be sayin’ some apologies to one another... he’s out there stewin’ now, lookin’ like he’s been beat twice round the ship.’

She suddenly blurted, ‘You didn’t-‘

‘No,’ he said, cutting her off. ‘He’s already been kicking himself around for sending that wave to the Core.’ McNally then looked to the hatch-door as if he could see right through it. ‘Poor guy’s just woke up to the fact his Alliance never existed.’ He looked to Alisha again, seeing the uncertainty in her eyes. ‘Let’s go, bao bei, I’m a man in need of more coffee.’ He gave her a crooked smile as he eased her to her feet, keeping an arm around her shoulders as they reached the hatchway. Then he stopped and regarded her with a glimmer of mirth in his eyes. ‘Still, if you’ve messed up the positionin’ of that seat, there’ll be hell to pay...’
Captain Det McNally

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:54 pm

Alisha found enough energy to smile, prodding McNally in the ribs, “That’s almost reason enough to go back and fiddle with your recline” She made to turn back to his seat, but his grip on her was iron, and so she just poked the Fist fighter again in his ticklish spot. Leaning towards him again to borrow his strength.

She was staring at the door, a roller-coaster of emotions and turmoil flying through her head, she didn’t want to get shouted at again, She didn’t want to talk to Burton, she didn’t want to apologise… Apologising was hard enough, only made harder when you were in the wrong. McNally took a step forwards, taking the young doctor with him, “Do ya be wantin’ sugar in your coffee?” he asked taking a second step, it was a futile attempt to distract her, but it was appreciated. “I erm…” She stared at the door and took a deep breath, like she was about to plunge into an icy pool. Pushing the voices back from her mind, she took the next small step voluntarily. “Yea… This freeze dried stuff is vile.”

They stood there staring at the door for nearly a minute. Stop wallowing, it’s becoming a bad habbit. Alisha took the last step and moved to open the Hatch, “Are you making breakfast since you’re up?” She asked attempting a smile at McNally as the hatch swung open.

Her green eyes found Burton, he was looking at her, looking as haggard as she did. Looking as upset and worn, and unsure. And the words stuck in her throat. She froze like a rabbit in the high beams.
OOC- Cassie

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: William Burton

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:11 pm

Burton was ready to meet Corbon, he'd sorted out what he was going to say, explanation and arguments all sorted out. She'd understand why he'd said what he had and why. Hearing a noise behind him he turned and looked straight into the green eyes of Corbon and when he saw her everything he'd carefully prepared went straight out the airlock and he didn't know what to say.
They stared at each other awkwardly for a few moments.
"Erm, I'm sorry." He managed to get out uncertainly, "I had no right to say what I did. I hope that you can forgive me, and maybe give me a chance to explain myself?" He looked down at the ground, "I think you're an excellent doctor, and a lot better than me."
He noticed the chocolates, forgotten in his hands and held them out to her.
I hate flying!
This one's got no pulse. -Next!
PreviousNext

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old