Insomnia 2

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Re: Insomnia 2

Alisha had flinched slightly as Lock called her name, after the verbal ear bashing she has just received from Burton, and already have being reprimanded for their argument so early in the morning, she didn't think she could take any more. As Lock told her to follow, she found her feet momentarily rooted to the floor. After the longest of moments she plucked up the courage to follow him, preparing herself the best the could for the telling off she was sure would follow. They had invited her on board, had she ruined that?

Thrown off guard by his gentle tones, Alisha still felt fuzzy headed and disoriented, her thoughts darting to sleepily examine every word Burton had shouted at her. For in Anger and drunken stupor the truth comes out undiluted. "I never ran to the black, I ran from home... I feel so... Small." She replied to him, staring off into the blackness before her."I never meant for any of this to happen... Everything I touch goes wrong"
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Preacher

Character name: Shepherd Locke

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:12 pm

"Everything?" The Preacher asked gently. "You patched me up okay, several times. You fixed plenty of people fine, Doc. It is human nature to focus on the bad, on past mistakes that you can't fix no matter how hard you wish it.

"Right now you is focusing on the bad, what Burton said about you and how you and he fell out. Plain fact is that you did and no gaffa in this 'verse is gonna patch that mistake up. Life ain't about quick fixes unless you is Kidd or Layla and that's only machines. Point is, the mistake has been done for you both, doan mean you have to like it and sure as hell doan mean you have to continue it." He cuffed the back of her head gently.

"Damn straight you doan have to repeat it when Doc Carter comes aboard and you doan have to let it lie with Burton. Relations aren't about winnin' or losin', this is about seeing each other right, ain't no family in the 'verse never had an argument any that says otherwise be lying like a lumpy rug. You get me, Doc?"
"Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition"

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: William Burton

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:03 pm

After a while Burton sat up, blew his nose he and headed over to the small washbasin and splashed water on his face washing the last of his tears away.
Looking in the mirror he saw that his eyes where red from crying. He rubbed them hoping to get rid of the redness, didn't seem to be working. He gave up.
"So, what now?" He asked his reflection.
"The hardest part. The bit you can be an adult about." The red eyed man in the mirror answered. "Apologise."
He sighed and looked back down into the basin.

After a few seconds he headed back to a cupboard and brought out a small box of chocolates. He'd taken them from Higgins' larder and had been saving them for something special. He wasn't sure if Corbon even liked chocolate, but the general consensus in the verse was women always liked chocolates, or flowers, but he didn't have any of those.
He turned the box round in his hand and began to read the different chocolates it contained.
"That's going to have to go." He said noticing that there where some liquor flavoured ones.
Carefully opening the box he began to sort through them removing the alcoholic ones. Thankfully it was a loose mixed assortment and hopefully she wouldn't notice that some where missing. He put them to one side, if she did want them he'd give them.
Sweeping the others back into the box he got to his feet, tucked his shirt in and crossed to the door. Taking a deep breath he opened the door and went in search of the young doctor who he'd torn down.
I hate flying!
This one's got no pulse. -Next!

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:17 pm

Alisha sat down in McNally’s high backed pilots seat, and pulled her knees up to her chest, resting her chin on them. She stared passed Lock with watery eyes, staring out into the vastness before the Rosin Dubh. She felt small, like she had dug a hole so deep she couldn’t climb out anymore. It wasn’t just Burton, it was the Corbon family who she had wronged countless times this last 12 months, McNally, who had suffered torture to protect her, from a mistake that she had made. Various people she had lost because she simply wasn’t good enough. Felicity, because she hadn’t been there fast enough. Every single time she stepped off of the ship, she was a liability. Every time she left her room she was a problem to someone else.

She had never realised how Burton had really felt about her. He felt sorry for her, because she was such a mess. Who else did? Probably the entire crew, why wouldn’t they? He thought her a nuisance and a bad doctor. A miracle no one had died on her table… But they had… Doctors lose people all the time. But had she lost more because of her problem? Had she lost more, just because it was her?

“Alisha?” Locks voice spurred her back into reality, her thoughts being reigned in, she realised that she hadn’t acknowledged what he was saying, she had barely heard what he was saying. As she looked up to meet his gaze a single tear fell down her cheek, and she hurriedly brushed it away, not wanting Lock to see her crying. “I’m sorry…” She mumbled back at him.
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:27 pm

McNally wasn’t sure what had roused him, whether it was the raised voices echoing from the upper deck, the stomping of deck-boots or the slam of a cabin door, but Socrates had leapt from under his arm and darted into the small cubby-hole next to the closet where the cat hid when startled. Eyes glowed in the low-light as McNally pulled the blanket back and slowly sat up, rubbing the back of his neck and rotating his left shoulder slowly until if clicked loudly. He let out a sigh as the tension released. He listened intently and regarded the furtive nose and whiskers. The voices, boots and door-slam were memories and, for a moment, McNally wondered if it hadn’t been just a very vivid dream, but then he quickly recalled his dream, lying on his back on an old bedroll, wrapped in a warm blanket, the embers of a campfire to one side and the clear black above him, each pinpoint of light a perfect diamond in the fabric of the night, listening to Molly singing softly as the fire burned it’s last.

He shook his head slowly. ‘Maybe one day,’ he remarked to himself quietly, rising and opening the closet. He slipped on trousers and a frayed black t-shirt before stepping into his boots and lacing them up. He looked back at the glowing eyes. ‘You stayin’ here, uh?’ The eyes blinked in reply and he nodded, stepping out and closing his cabin door.

At that moment, Burton emerged from his cabin, something in his hands and his eyes locked onto McNally. ‘Oh, you’re... up.’

McNally smiled crookedly. ‘S’funny, something must’ve woke me up. You been having disagreements with someone, Alisha maybe?’ He watched Burton stiffen as he mentioned her name, just as Alisha stiffened whenever he had mentioned Mama Chang... or Eva. It was obvious Burton wasn’t sure what to say, perhaps expecting him to retaliate on the young doctor’s behalf for whatever friction had occured, but he wasn’t like that. ‘Anyways, I’m up now so... is there coffee?’
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Preacher

Character name: Shepherd Locke

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:50 pm

"Alisha, you need to lift your head up and relax. Watch the stars, doan listen to your thoughts, just your breathin' cause you got yerself a mighty evil voice in the back of your head and you just it far too much credence."
"Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition"

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:49 pm

“Yea…” Alisha didn’t sound convinced, she looked back at the blackness beyond, and breathed in deeply. “I’m just… Scrambled…” Tucked up on Mcnally’s pilot seat so she couldn’t be seen from behind, she sighed softly. “Just stop listening to my thoughts…?” she queried, as though it was the hardest thing in the world.
The young doctor closed her eyes, breathing in deeply. In through her nose and out through her mouth, trying to ignore the evil little voice what whispered her failures in her ear.
OOC- Cassie

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: William Burton

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:40 pm

Burton froze like a rabbit in headlights when he saw McNally. "Oh, you're... up." He said shakily.
When McNally mentioned Alisha he guessed that the man knew what had happened, and he waited for him to lay into him. With the way he'd just treated the young doctor he deserved it, but he didn't really fancy any bruisers or breaks. "I think there's some in the mess room." he offered trying to find a way to politely get away from the fighter.
With a nod he turned and headed away. Burton let out a breath and headed off to see if he could find Corbon.
I hate flying!
This one's got no pulse. -Next!

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:26 pm

McNally watch the medic as he made for the upper deck. ‘Best give ‘im a head start,’ he murmured to himself before sauntering to the access ladder and starting upwards. Ahead of him he saw Burton glance into the infirmary before scanning the mess deck. ‘Up-front?’ McNally called across as he reached the common area.

Burton turned and froze again. ‘What?’

‘She might be holed up in the cockpit,’ McNally suggested.

‘Oh.’

McNally shrugged slightly. ‘You reckon I’m gonna bust ya lip just ‘cause you’n’her have had words?’ He shook his head as he poured himself a large mug of coffee.

‘I was... it was just... she...’ Burton seemed to be searching for the right explanation, building a new head of steam to see off the fist-fighter, but McNally sat down and waved a hand to silence him.

‘Listen, William,’ McNally remarked, his use of the medic’s given name hitting him harder than any punch McNally could’ve thrown. ‘I might be taken as havin’ adopted Alisha like a daughter, but that’s ‘cause she’s young enough to be... but even if she was my flesh and blood, I’m wouldn’t fight all her battles, just them what’s liable to get her hurt for real. Her lockin’ horns with you isn’t worth me gettin’ all antsy about, and not worth you being a-feared of me for neither.’ His boot shoved a chair back and he gestured Burton to sit. ‘She’ll have to come outta there sooner’r later, but lettin’ her stew for a while might help cool her off.’ As Burton perched uncomfortably, McNally continued. ‘I like you, you’re a nice guy, but, the way I see it, you’re a try-hard. You want so much to be doin’ right you don’t see what damage you might be doin’ to folks. Like that message about the organs? Not wise and not right.’

Burton felt a pang of anger. ‘But you say yourself, if you can’t do something smart, do something right and if you can’t do something right, do something. So I did something, maybe not smart, maybe not right... but...’

McNally sipped his coffee and nodded. ‘Yep, s’right, I say that and I live by it... but that’s for them times when you’re looking at the odds stacked against, when you ain’t got nothin’ else to guide ya... when you’re out time and out of options.’ He put the mug down and leaned forward. ‘We had time and options, and yet you saw what you thought was the right thing. An’ you found out the hard way that there ain’t no loyalty to the Alliance.’ He watched as Burton’s shoulder’s sagged. ‘I’m sorry, William, but I ain’t gonna give ya a beatin’ on the outside when you’re beatin’ yourself on the inside, no matter how much you think you deserve it.’ He sat back and took up mug, gulping a mouthful and swallowing slowly. ‘I’d best go see what damage she’s doin’ to in the cockpit, got that seat just comfortable for me, all the settin’s right on the console,’ he said, slowly rising, passing Burton and patting his shoulder gently. ‘And I am sorry.’
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:35 pm

Alisha rested her forehead on her knees, with her eyes tightly shut. She breathed in through her nose and out through her mouth, trying to ignore her world around her. She replayed the argument with Burton in her head, frowning. Relax… Concentrate on your breathing. It wasn’t long before she caught herself analysing their argument again, analysing everything that had happened this last year, all the way back to before she had run from home.

Tears stung her eyes again, but she didn’t move to wipe them away. She wracked her head for something, anything to distract her. Sighing heavily she pushed away all of her recent memories, everything within the past few years. She took herself back her days as a student, back when things we’re simple, back when there was no fear, and the her greatest worry was if she could pass the next exam.

She remembered sitting on her bunk with books scattered around her as she studied for her first medical exam, frantically she had tried to learn all the medical names for each bone in the human body, only later to find out that it wasn’t even on the exam. Her breathing slowed, and her muscles relaxed a fraction, as she tried to recall them all, starting from the feet upwards.

It was the counting sheep scenario. And before long she had dropped into a shallow sleep. Alisha hadn’t noticed at which point Lock had left the cockpit. She was just sat in McNally’s Chair with her knees tucked up to her chest so that no one could see her from behind. Still she had stains on her cheeks, the 37 hours without sleep had taken its toll.

She hadn’t heard McNally as he entered the cockpit.
OOC- Cassie
PreviousNext

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old