Insomnia 2

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:56 pm

Insomnia 2

Alisha rose from her bunk, using both her hands to sweep her wild golden locks back from her face, eyes of forest green stared at the locked bottom drawer containing every last drop of alcohol she possessed, finally she looked away, shaking her head to be rid of her thoughts.
Bad night... Very bad night

The bed groaned beneath her as she sat feet dangled over the edge, catching herself in the mirror opposite. Purple bags hung under tired eyes, she hadn't slept a wink, but had finally gotten fed up of staring at the ceiling for hour upon hour. Even when she did sleep she had nightmares that she couldn't shake for hours after she woke. The latest one saw the Corbon family siting down to Sunday dinner, the sun shined in through the window, leaving dust partials dancing in the air. The mouth watering aroma of mothers cooking as she bought the beef roast to the table. It was just as she remembered, the laughter and stories, the playful banter and brotherly affections.

Just thinking about it made her heart swell with longing and her throat tighten with emotion. It was as her father stood up to carve the meat, it was always when he stood up to carve the meat, a cold chill would sweep the room, Alisha would look around too see where the icy blast had come from to come face to face with the dead eyes of Warren, the smell of beef would suddenly vanish and the putrid stench of death would fill the room. It was clawing, choking her, she wanted to hurl, like she had the first time she had been asked to cut up a pig heart in med school.

Sliding backwards she rose to her feat, the chair clattering to the floor behind her. Wyatt's charred bloody hand grabbed her wrist, "it's your fault" she would hear him hiss, crimson bubbling and spitting from where his mouth would be in his destroyed face. Her mother was a ghostly figure, panic of the unknown plaguing Alisha's mind, Tyberious was no longer there just his uniform folded neatly on his chair, it seemed so long since she had last seen him. Finally her green eyes met those of her fathers, her fathers eyes filled with sadness and worry and heartache. She could feel the tears stinging her eyes, "Why did you do this to us? We were a perfect little family until you came along"

its not my fault... It's not my fault, backing away, a storm now raged outside an ion storm crackling in the clouds and gale force winds blowing over trees. As the broken family came towards her, each with blame written on their faces, she could do nothing but profess her innocence. As her heals touched the walls, Alisha's thoughts turned to dread. Clawed hands grabbed her arms, and spun her around. She was back in that broken stone hut, with bodies on the floor, staring into his black soulless eyes as he screamed at her. His mouth an open bloody maw.
they're coming through the windows.

And then the nightmare would end, and Alisha would find herself in a darkened room, sat upright in a cold sweat, unable to shake the feeling of the Reevers claws on her. The doctor shook her head again trying to banish the thoughts from her once more. She was safe aboard the Rosin Dubh, with her extended family. Nothing could harm her here. Yawning she stood up and stretched, pulling her precious white coat over her bed clothes, an old shirt and a pair of stripy pj bottoms, and barefoot she padded out of her room and made her way to the mess deck.

Coffee, that's what she needed. It wouldn't help her sleep, but it would give her something to do with her hands, and something to drink, not that it would quench her thirst, nothing seemed to be helping with that.

Reaching the mess deck she starting making coffee, black and bitter, so strong it'll knock the enamel off your teeth. She guessed it was about four in the morning, and would still be a few hours before even the early risers emerged.
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: William Burton

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:32 am

Re: Insomnia 2

Corbon wasn't the only one having problems sleeping. Burton was lying in his bunk staring at the ceiling Lock's speech going round in his head.
He didn't want to transfer to the Blood Rose, he liked it here, his friends where here. At least he wasn't going alone, and he knew a few people over there pretty well. Also it was probably for the best, things where getting pretty tense between him and Alisha, it was coming to a point where something would happen that one or both of them would regret.

With a sigh he got up and paced round his room. It was going to happen, so may as well get ready he decided pulling a large duffel bag out from under his bunk and throwing it on top. He then crossed to the wardrobe and opened it.
Carefully, almost reverently he ran his finger over the Alliance logo on his old uniform. He couldn't believe they where after him for questioning over trafficking black market organs. All he'd done was contact them about a container of frozen organs that the locals had "liberated" from a transport and he was trying to get back to the hospital where it was needed.
Now, finally like everyone on the ship he was running from something.
He considered binning the clothes, it seemed the Alliance he'd signed up to protect was not what it was supposed to be. No, he'd got too much blood on his uniform over the years to just discard like a rag! Carefully he took it off the hanger, folder it and placed the shirt on the bed, trousers followed. Rest of his clothes he quickly folded and dumped in the bag. Finally his uniform was placed on top, any creases carefully smoothed out. Zipping the bag up he pushed it back under the bed.
He wondered if he should go and stock up he field kit now before transferred. Corbon would be sleeping so he'd have time to try and sort through the mess that she called "organised" to find what he needed. A wicked grin crossed his face as he considered reorganising it one last time.
"Nah, she's got too many problems." He said out loud.
"But it'll give her something to do and keep her mind off her other problems."
"It'd be cruel."
He chuckled, while Regan, Lock and Caine where used to his conversations with himself the rest of the crew would think he was nuts if they heard him, well more nuts than usual. But he'd always found giving voice to things always helped him sort them out.
"Coffee and then we'll have a look at the mess she's made." He said grabbing his chest rig and heading to the mess room.
I hate flying!
This one's got no pulse. -Next!

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:16 am

Alisha found herself lost in thought staring into the black coffee, wishing that she could muster the energy to get up and look for sugar, or honey, or any kind of sweetner to put in the pitch depths of her mug. Not as nice as the fresh coffee beans that Lock bought, and the freeze dried stuff desperately needed sweetening, but she had sat down now, and she would have to cross the kitchen again, and then find the sugar. It suddenly seemed like a monumental task, one she couldn’t quite bring herself to do. Raising the mug to her lips she tasted the bitter black coffee and pulled a face of disgust. It’s not what she wanted, what she wanted was spirits, she didn’t even care which ones. Suddenly the taste of it wasn’t a factor, just something to quench her thirst, anything was better than this Go shi.

When Burton walked him he found the lights on, and Alisha sat at the table, both hands wrapped around her coffee mug. She was dressed in her pyjamas, an old shirt, and the same white coat she always wore. She looked bedraggled, and when she looked up at him he could see the purple rings under tired eyes. She sighed slightly, Not who I wanted to see first thing, “You’re up early”
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:28 am

Entering the mess room Burton caught sight of Corbon sat at the table. She really looked a mess, dark bags under he eyes and her hair all over the place. Though he didn't really register as he headed towards the cupboards.
"You're up early." She said as he passed.
"I couldn't sleep." He answered with a quick smile as he rooted round in the cupboard looking for his mug. Where was it? It wasn't in his unit.
Alisha watched as he went from one cupboard to another. She could hear him muttering, but couldn't make out what he was saying.
Eventually he rounded on her.
"Where's my cup?" He demanded. "I suppose you've been organising here like you have the infirmary."
Alisha looked a little taken aback by the sudden hostile tone, but she was not in the mood this morning, 34 hours without sleep had made her short fused, “My infirmary.” She corrected him simply.
My infirmary. Had he heard her correctly?
He slammed the door shut as he spun round, there was the sound of tinkling glass.
"Your infirmary?" This was it. "I'll have you know it was mine, I put a lot into getting and putting it together. We invited you on board and gave you a home. Then without even asking you decide to take over my infirmary." He stressed the "my" and pointed to his chest.
Corbon opened her mouth to protest.
"Shut it! I've had it with you." He snapped, his voice started to rise. "You didn't even ask! I come in one day and everything has been moved. -If you'd asked it would have been fine, but you didn't.
You've got problems, fine. So does everyone else here, but at least theirs don't get in the way of their job!" A small part of him registered the shock on her face, but he carried on unable to stop, too long had he kept quiet, and this was the last straw. A dam had burst and words where rushing out instead of water. "Not once have I said anything about you being drunk or hung over all the time. Yet you have the audacity to criticise my methods? It's a bloody miracle no one's died on the table while you've been dealing with them. -Well I'm sorry my methods are very different from yours."
He could see her starting to get angry and for the first time he noticed the state she was in, but the words kept coming, he couldn't stop them. "Unlike you, outside of training I've never had the luxury of taking time to try things on people. Usually I only have minutes to decide who lives and who dies. There's no point spending time trying to bring someone back when I've got others who need treatment to stay alive. I'd like to see you work and deal with some of the things I've had to." He snorted.
"I left you alone, because I felt sorry for you, and as long as you where organising the infirmary you're hands where too busy to hold a glass. But this." He indicated the mess room, "Is too far!"
I hate flying!

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:34 am

It took a few seconds for everything to sink in, the fact that he had told her to ‘Shut it’ was not helping matters, she was tired, worn, thirsty, short fused and was unprepared for a full our verbal attack on her person, when she had seemingly done nothing wrong. She was upset and stung by his words, she thought them overly harsh, but this is how he saw her. He was acting like a petulant child.

Firstly my ‘problems’ never got in the way of my work, I have never not been in complete control when someone goes under the knife on my table, unlike yourself Doctor” Her voice was starting to rise steadily, Alisha rose to her feet, standing her ground against the older man, his title sneered through gritted teeth, “Yourself, who has give drugs freely to people, allowing them of OD, yourself who overdosed and became useless to everyone, you, who nearly killed Lock with that bout of idiocy!"

"And as to no point trying to bring someone back you'll be damn pleased about it when it happens to you. They are patients, they are people, not targets, goals, or a tasks to complete. That person, you didn't bother to bring back. She had a family and loved ones, she had a name! and her entire life snatched away! All because the man with the knowledge of how to save her, didn't bother to save her. She was shouting back at him now, "As to My Infirmary, how often did you actually spend in there? Really? You always seem happy to sit back and let a real doctor handle the situation." Her trembling hand moved for a hip flask that was no longer there. "GORAMMIT You are incapable and can barely manage simple tasks
OOC- Cassie

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:31 am

"As I said earlier, it's a bloody miracle no one's died in your care!" A small voice in the back of his head was shouting to stop. He ignored it, his tongue was like a runaway horse that had taken the bit in it's teeth and was completely ignoring it's rider. He was angry, hurt and scared.
Angry that not only was Corbon reorganising the infirmary all the time, but now had decided to move on to the mess room to. Also his transfer didn't sit too well, even though he knew it made sense.
Hurt at the betrayal by the Alliance, he'd fought so hard for it. And finally scared of what the Alliance would do to him if they caught him. He'd seen Tobias work once and that had been scary, while he doubted he'd get someone of his skill, it wasn't going to be tea and biscuits either.

"Is that what you think I see them as? Targets and goals? I know bloody well they're people with families and names!" He shouted back. "Do you think I like watching them die? You any idea how many people I've watched die because I didn't have the equipment or worse yet, had to put out of their pain? Or those I've actually killed? There are nights when I see them all. -How many battles have you seen?" He demanded. "And I'm not talking about the pathetic gun fights we've had recently."
A part of him enjoyed the looks of fear, hurt and anger as they flashed over the young doctors face. Was this how Tobias felt when he questioned people?
He had enough control left to be shocked by these last thoughts and quickly shoved them away to the back of his mind where he hoped they would never rear their ugly head again.
"And my 'bout of idiocy' with Lock was on information that I received back from you guys. I hadn't been able to analyse anything and was told that was what was needed to combat the side effects of the poisoning."
I hate flying!

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:44 am

Tears stung her eyes but she held them back not wanting to give him the satisfaction of watching her cry. "What's with that Gorramm comment, it's a bloody miracle no one has died on my table? Have you even noticed people avoid you when they need any kind of medical attention and they wait for a REAL doctor to become available. Or had that passed you by as well? Have you not noticed how people have started handing you a gun and not a knife... Have you not thought the reasons WHY you ASSIST a REAL DOCTOR."

She slammed her fist on the table making a great almighty bang, "And Her name was Felicity!" He looked at her with a look failing to comprehend what she was saying, and so Alisha continued, she had kept it to herself for weeks, not wanting to put further guilt and upset on the crew. But he was shouting at her for no reason but her sitting in the Mess at half four in the morning. All because he couldn't find his mug, which was dirty in the sink where he had left It. It was a full blown attack on her. And right now, she couldn't handle that. "On Higgins moon, the girl next to the hologram of Fez? Her name was Felicity, she was nineteen, she had a mother and a father.. And was riddled with bullets! Our bullets, the Crew of the Rosin shot her. You and Carter were the doctors on the scene, and you did nothing."

Alisha drew in a long shaky breath, "Nothing, at all. You let a girl, bleed out in pain, because you didn't have the balls to go patch her up. She was Tied to the chair, bleeding, and no one cared. Not one of you even had the human decency to untie her. I kept it to myself, because I didn't think my crew needed reminding of how bad we messed up. But if you so want to be reminded of the people you failed to save, remember her name, and her face, because you didn't just fail to save her. You didn't even try. You left her strung up like a piece of meat."
OOC- Cassie

Preacher

Character name: Shepherd Locke

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:46 am

The knock on the lintle of the door to the mess was loud and firm, it wasn't repeated but it didn't need to be. The Preacher was stood in the doorway, dressed in loose pyjama trousers and a wooden cross on a leather thong. On his upper right arm was a tattoo with an ace of spades with a numeral seven on it. He was still but watching each of them.

"For your information, it is in fact -my- infirmary, since it is on -my- ship." He said quietly, his calm voice drifting across the room. "You two finished waking the whole ship, and please doan think that is question." He strode into the sudden silence of the room.

"Corbon, put your mind back to the Reaver attack remember operating on me on the floor of a ruined building?" He let her mind drift back briefly before bringing her back to the present. "What's the place where Burton operates, he doan waste time because he's never had it to waste."

"Burton" He turned to the battlefield surgeon "do you remember the look of fear on your face when asked to deliver a baby? You have no concept of bed side manner, you are not a community doctor."

"We, lady and gentleman, are a small community that winds up on battlefields with an alarming regularity so makes you both needed. Instead of bitchin' at one another you could have learnt those skills you doan have. You took an opportunity to expand yourselves and help each other but that was too hard so you turned it into a gorram battlefield instead. Fine, you want to act as mad as a bag full o' cats you go to it as long as work doan suffer but you do it quietly or durin' the day, you got that?"

The Preacher turned and away back to his room before pausing at the doorway.
"And Burton" he didn't look around "Kidd was on the rota for dishes last night, ask her where your gorram cup is."
"Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition"

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:51 pm

Burton took a breath to start why he hadn't done anything for the girl but the knock on the lintel paused him long enough for his brain to grab the reins of his tongue. The Preacher's words penetrating the red mist of anger that had descended on him.
He glared back at him and wanting to tell him to mind his own business.
Thankfully something stopped him.

Looking down, for the first time he noticed the state Corbon was in, really noticed it. She looked to be experiencing all the signs of withdrawal. He should be helping, not yelling at her.
"I don't want anything now." He stated before turning and leaving, unable to face her or anyone else at the moment.
Pushing his way past Lock in the door he was glad when he didn't try to stop him.
Reaching his room he slammed the door and began to pace.
"How dare she! What does she know?" He lowered his voice when he realised it was rising.
"You weren't very nice to her and those things you said about her problem weren't fair."
"It's true! -But still I agree it was uncalled for." He sighed and threw himself on his bed.

He was older than her, supposedly more mature, that tantrum he'd just had in the mess room said otherwise.
"Ah shit!" He sobbed into his pillow wondering what he was going to do now, and how he was ever going to be able to face her.
Just as well he was being transferred otherwise it would have been very difficult. Well after this Lock or Regan would probably have transferred him, at least it didn't look like they where trying to get rid of him to relieve tensions between him and Corbon.
I hate flying!

Preacher

Character name: Shepherd Locke

Post Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:08 pm

The Preacher paused as Burton charged out and sighed.

"Corbon ... Alisha." He turned back to the small medic. "Come with me."

He didn't wait for her to follow but headed through the mess room to the stairs leading to the cockpit. He headed up the metal steps and into the room where he could see the stars. The Preacher's head turned slightly as her heard her enter behind him.

"Look here, I told you we were all running from something but this ... this is where we are running to" He told her pointing out of the cockpit's view ports.

"Which star?" She asked moving to get a better view.

"Not a star, not a place but there. The very black itself, out there is the closest we come to God, Alisha. Out there you get a real idea of what it is like to be human." He told her gently.

"It's so big..." The Doctor commented quietly.

"Yes" Lock replied "and compared to something that big, anything hidden in here" he tapped the back of her head "to terrorise you, ain't that big at all."
"Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition"
Next

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old