Aftermath of Higgin's Moon

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Aftermath of Higgin's Moon

Meanwhile...

McNally rattled pots as he washed them up. Burton had retired to his cabin, Chai headed for the flight deck and Kid suggested the flux-flow manifold was rattling and needed ‘treatment’. Alisha remained on the mess deck. ‘You need a hand, Det?’ she asked.

McNally turned slightly. ‘I’m fine, bao bei,’ he replied. ‘You best go see what mess Button’s made of your infirmary.’

She chuckled. ‘My infirmary? I’ll tell him you said that.’ She headed off leaving McNally to finish his chores.

He worked quickly and quietly, squaring away the galley area and leaving everything in good order before making his way forward to the flight-deck.

Chai was checking the nav-computer. ‘Ah, McNally, perfect timing, Regan wanted a route to Athens.’

McNally nodded slightly, regarding the readout on the console screen. ‘Looks like a three week journey.’ He reached in and called up a couple of nav references. 'We can avoid a lot of Alliance traffic too.’

Chai nodded. ‘That’s the idea.’

McNally took the pilot’s seat and activated the yoke. ‘Er, Chai, for what it’s worth?’ He sighed softly. ‘I figure you can start callin’ me ‘Det’.’

Chai frowned slightly but gave McNally a firm nod. ‘Sure... Det.’ He saw McNally grimace slightly and he headed off the flight deck, murmuring under this breath, ‘This is going to take some getting used to...’
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:06 pm

McNally programmed the last set of course corrections to avoid Alliance patrol routes as he re-read the message. State of Emergency it said, then listed eleven worlds... including Persephone and Hera. He hoped Molly was safe, counting on the fact that Marauder’s Reach wasn’t the safest of places at the best of times and therefore most folks had guns and would be willing to protect themselves and their neighbours. Furthermore the township was probably remote enough to have nothing of value to looters. Of greater concern was Persephone... and Alisha’s family. She’d lost two brothers, her mother was ill, so it sounded, and there were riots. Maybe we could detour there, he thought, then immediately shook his head. It was at his behest that Regan had headed for Higgins Moon to go after Wyatt... and that had just turned out so perfectly well he wasn’t minded to risk his luck trying to reach Alisha’s folks on Persephone, just in case. Anyway, he reminded himself, Persphone was a big place and it would be like looking for a needle in amongst a whole bunch of other needles in a haystack.

He cleared the Roisin Dubh’s baffles one last time and then programmed a slow boost out towards Athens. The Roisin Fuil was headed there with the freed mudder family, and, as McNally knew the place pretty well and still had contacts there, he reckoned he might be able to assist once they were dirtside.

He rechecked the navigational array for hazards and, satisfied there was nothing on the scope, he slipped from the pilot’s seat and prepared to head aft. He stopped short of the hatch, instead shoving it slightly closed and seating himself before the comms console. ‘Must be out there somewhere, an’ bein’ in such a line o’work, easy to find.’ His voice was a hoarse whisper as he placed a search via the Cortex for the comms registry of a certain ship. Sure enough, seconds later, he had it. He sat back a moment, considering what to say, then activated a narrowcast line and sent his brief message.

+++WAVE TRANSMISSION+++
To: Siren Mei – Circe
Siren,
Just wanted to say... thanks.
Give Fred my best wishes too.
McNally.
+++TRANSMISSION ENDS+++

He sat back breathing deeply. He owed her that at least, a woman who had stood up to him, argued at him and, in some ways, finally put him straight on a few things. Spirited did not even begin to describe Siren, she was much more than that and, without her tirade, on Higgins Moon he would’ve treated Mei just the same as he had on New Kincardine, and maybe not even helped Eva out of her fix with Mama Chang. Siren had done him a lot of good and a simple thanks wasn’t hardly enough, but it was all he had until he could actually speak to her face to face.

He prepared to leave the flight-deck finally when the responder chimed. He opened the message and read. From his simple thanks came a much longer reply than he had expected. She barely knew him, yet she referred to him as a ‘friend’. ‘With friends like me,’ he muttered. Then he came across a reference to him as being ‘gentlemanly’. Was she on the same planet at the time, he wondered. He read the remainder with a wry smile. She might not have been a Companion but she certainly had a way with words. So Fred preferred a bible reading to a dance? ‘If I find me a shindig and I’ll certainly get her dancin’,’ he murmured to the screen as he read the last paragraph. Then the responder chimed again... another message?

Siren had sent an addendum, a note from Fred herself. ‘Proverbs, twen’y-seven, five?’ He frowned as he read the last few lines, his smile a little crooked. ‘Gonna haf’ta look that up,’ he murmured, and prepared his reply.
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Preacher

Character name: Shepherd Locke

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Lock froze quietly as he approached the cockpit, he'd expected it to be empty but then he'd heard McNally mutter. The conversation with Regan still swam about his head.

Proverbs Twenty-seven, five the fighter had muttered and for once the words floated easily to mind. "Better is open rebuke than love that is concealed." Yes, the Preacher thought as he knocked on the slightly open door, that was McNally all right.

Still, Lock's treacherous mind dragged up the next line "Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but deceitful are the kisses of an enemy." This ship had plenty of both to heal and it was time for him to start doing his job.

"Evening, McNally, we returning to Athens?" He asked trying not to dread the future.
"Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition"

Cortexer
Cortexer

Character name: Chai Neow

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:29 pm

Chai walked down the corridor, away from the flight deck and past the crew quaters.

He knew he'd been being quiet and hoped no one had noticed too much. He had a hell of a lot on his mind and it was taking a while to work it all through.

Hearing Alisha and 'Det', he couldn't help but let a smile slip across his face as he thought the name, talking so openly with each other at the table had helped, a whole bunch in fact. They had mirrored some of this own thoughts, Higgin's Moon was a nightmare but it had brought them closer together. 7 months on the Rose and he already felt as close to this crew as he had his old squad.

He sighed softly to himself and continued along the softly thrumming hallway. Since being offered the post of 1st mate, after the loss of Oz, he'd done his best to live up to the title, and the privilege. He wasn't sure he was proving the Cap'n and preacher's faith was being rewarded. A bunch of mudder girls had got murdered on his watch, as a direct result of them gaining access to something he was supposed to be responsible for protecting. He tried to get the face of Bessie out of his minds eye, as she laughed and joked when they danced together, only hours before she was found by Cain face down in a ditch, unarmed. That whole experience was far to close to what happened to Inslia ... and he already woke up at night from that dream far too often ...

The raid on Fess's place hadn't gone so well either. Far too many folks had barely made it out o' the place, the Preacher and Cap'n included. Perhaps he'd expected too much from the folks he'd been asked to head up, perhaps he'd expected them to respond like his old squad, expecting them all to respond like trained soldiers. Or perhaps he'd just made a pile of bad calls that nearly got the whole team killed. He had to think on that some ...

He shook his head, realizing he was leaning against the wall, feeling the soft vibration of the engines through the hull frame. He'd even suggested using innocent mudders as a distraction while they raided Boss Higgin's estate. He was sure as hell glad Sophia and her family were holed up on one o' the other ships as he didn't want to have to meet their eye with that on his mind ...

It was at that moment he heard Burton talking to someone, "My brain and my mouth have never been in sync, it's got me into trouble more than once..."

The message from Captain West ... he really needed to speak to Burton about that. He waited for the chatter to subside, making an effort not to listen to the actual words, then he knocked on the bunkroom door.
Chai Neow

'State of the art security you say? Just give me a moment ...'

<click>

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: William Burton

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:47 pm

"I will Poppy, thank you." Burton said.
"Got to go." Poppy said.
"It was good speaking to you, it's made me think about a few things. Keep safe and speak to you soon." Burton said as he pressed the end button on his console. He was thinking about what he was going to say when he heard a knock on the door.
Getting up he crossed to the door, opening it he saw Chai.
I hate flying!
This one's got no pulse. -Next!

Cortexer
Cortexer

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:56 pm

The door slid back and Burton's worried face appeared. Chai wondered if he had any idea what he was about to tell him.

Trying to keep the atmosphere light he joked, "Hey Doc, remember how I said you owed me two hundred credits for those organs? Well I think we're quits"

The blank stare he got in response prompted him to continue.

"Uhm, look. You know that tight beam message we intercepted that I was going to work on, the on being beamed from that incoming Alliance vessel as we dusted off that mud hole back there? Well ..." There wasn't an easy way to say this so it was best to just spit it out. Chai hoped that conversation Burton had been having was a light one, "turns out the Alliance want to question you on suspicion of trading in illegal, black market organs ..."
Chai Neow

<click>

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:10 pm

Burton listened carefully to what Chai was saying. He remembered some one saying they'd intercepted a tight beam transmission.
"What?" He exclaimed when Chai told him it's content. "You got to be kidding, right?"
The 1st Officer shook his head sadly.
"I called them because those organs were needed, and I thought my record would keep me above any suspicion." He stormed back to his bed, "Why the hell would I call an Alliance hospital if I was dealing in black market organs? They'd be the last person I'd contact." He was furious, obviously Gen Tech felt he knew about their little secret on Higgins Moon (which he did) and wanted to make sure he didn't say anything. "This is stupid! We have to contact them and let them know I wasn't... -No that's a bad idea, they'll know we can intercept their transmissions and even more questions will be asked of me then. -Argh!" He slammed his fist into the bulkhead in anger.
Chai watched Burton storm round his cabin arms waving madly.
I hate flying!

Cortexer
Cortexer

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Chai watched Burton sadly. Another bad call; he'd assumed that the wave would go OK, that Burton would be able to arrange some return for the ship and crew. After all that was one of Chai's new duties to ensure. Clearly that didn't happen.

There really wasn't much left for him to say, he truly wished he could do more but for now, "I'm sorry Doc." Seemed to be all he could manage.
Last edited by drevyluk on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chai Neow

<click>

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:28 pm

He rested his head against the wall and took several deep breaths.
"And there was me the other day thinking I was about the only person on this ship without a dodgy background or running from something." He said turning back round. "Yay, now I get to join the club." he said sarcastically as he rolled his eyes.
"I'm sorry Doc." Chai said.
"It's okay. I shouldn't have been so naive thinking they'd be happy to have them back. Should have done what you suggested and contacted the father." He was about to make some sarcastic joke about what he'd do next time he was presented with a box full or organs, after his conversations with Poppy he thought better of it. "So what do we do?" He asked instead.
I hate flying!

Cortexer
Cortexer

Post Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:35 pm

Chai was impressed at the speed Burton regained his composure but not entirely surprised with what he'd come to know of the man.

"It ain't such a bad life you know, keeping your head down and avoiding Alliance contact." trying to turn Burton's sarcasm into a little light hearted optimism he continued, "After all, life on the move is something we're all gettin' used to..."

Clearing his throat Chai decided to try and add something helpful to the exchange, "If all else fails I can try and go in and change your records. It's risky, but ... it's what I do."
Chai Neow

<click>
PreviousNext

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old