Aftermath of Higgin's Moon

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Re: Aftermath of Higgin's Moon

McNally rose smartly and stood at the hatchway, calling after Lock. 'You okay, Padre?'
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Preacher

Character name: Shepherd Locke

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:06 pm

"Where's your home, McNally?" The Preacher asked not turning around. "Was it and everyone you love destroyed? If it was, would you ever want to return to a planet were you failed so badly cities burned?"

McNally looked set to say something in the sudden silence but then the Preacher spoke again.

"My ID says that I was born on Athens, but the world you just keyed in a route to is a whole nother place to the one that birth me."
"Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition"

Ship's Pilot

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:21 pm

For the first time in a long time, McNally felt contrite. 'Sorry, Padre... I didn't mean to...' His voice trailed away. Words were meaningless. 'I'll come find you when the time comes an' I'll honour you to do as you ask. The least I can do.'
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Preacher

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:26 pm

"When browncoats tell me how the Alliance waged war on them, how heartless we were, how much destruction we brought to them ... do you know the story of Athens, McNally?" The Preacher didn't move, not a twitch not even hair moved. He could have been chiselled in stone.

Ship's Pilot

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:39 pm

'I heard stories,' McNally murmured. 'But I was always minded that I only heard what them was tellin' it wan'ed me to hear.' He gestured back onto the flight deck. 'There's a spare seat up here. If you're wantin' to talk, I'm happy to listen... for what it's worth.'
Captain Det McNally

Preacher

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:07 pm

The Preacher stepped back into the cockpit and slid the door closed but he did not take the chair nor turn to face the fighter.

"Recalled from active duty when terrorist cells led by Oz and his people started a revolution in the cities of my home, I found myself fighting for my life down streets where I had walked my daughters to see the theatre. They didn't give a damn about the people who lived there, they cared about who won.
"Thing about Athens is, we make good farmers, agricultural scientists and along the way we made good marines, but those marines died in other places, trying to free other worlds. Only time you can tell a terrorist is after he's shot one, maybe two of your friends, maybe only when they've pulled a ripcord and blown your entire squad to pieces no bigger than your fist.
"Police, soldiers, security forces verses assassins and bombs it wasn't easy but it was our home. Sure as hell we'd do our best but it wasn't enough so like every other planet before us our superiors called for help from the central government.
"I actually cheered when I heard the news that an Alliance fleet had arrived in orbit, I was on patrol that next morning looking for routes to feed in the reinforcements. The end was in sight, you could see the relief in people's eyes."
The Preacher paused and shook his head.
"The mission statements later informed us that Athens' wealth was in its agriculture, its farm land and forest. The Independents were entrenched in our cities, cities that held our families but no value to the Alliance. They didn't even bother to send troops, they sent bombers and levelled the lot."
"Millions dead. No one wins a war, McNally, anyone who tells you otherwise has never seen one."

Ship's Pilot

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:36 pm

McNally sighed slightly. 'Amen to that, Padre,' he said softly. He stood forward, gazing through the front screen. 'I wondered why you're always runnin' headlong into gunfire... like you're wannin' to catch up with them as already departed to the next world. Well, allow me to preach a little McNally wisdom back at you... them who're gone can't feel no pain and no hurt. No man or woman is going to rob or cheat them... and you dying in their memory won't bring them back afterward. You had it right, I've gotta stay livin' for Alisha and Kid... and all the rest of you.' He tapped the back of the pilot's seat. 'This is where I've ended up and I've a duty to keep this ol' lady in one piece so that y'all can sleep soundly and we can burn into the black when needs be.' He turned to Lock finally. 'And I figure you're duty is to tend this flock of waifs'n'strays... do your shepherdin' and to your protectin'. Honour the dead, Padre, but fight for the livin'!'
Captain Det McNally

Ship's Pilot

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:59 pm

Behind them, the comms terminal chimed. 'Now what?' McNally growled, his ears tinging pink as he turned to the screen. He breathed a sigh of relief and clicked the intercom. 'Dr Corbon, you've got incoming comms. Patchin' it through to your quarters.' He snapped a couple of switches and killed the intercom. He turned back to Lock. 'Whatever you need me to do on your behalf... jus' practice what you preach once in a while, uh, Padre?'
Captain Det McNally

Preacher

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:03 pm

"I am not looking for a reunion round, McNally, never have been. I've always known I would never see them again when I die, they went to Heaven." He spoke softly.

"Fact of the matter is simple, I will protect my flock even if it means putting my body in the way, that isn't going to change but you are right, I do have a duty to this crew and it is time I started doing it." Oddly the decision had already been made back in Regan's quarters but now it felt right.

"Tell the others that I will be wanting to speak to them all in one hour, if you would be so kind. There is something that needs to be said to everyone."

Preacher

Post Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:04 pm

"And McNally, I always practice that's why I so rarely have to preach."
PreviousNext

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old