Aftermath of Higgin's Moon

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Aftermath of Higgin's Moon

Alisha sat on her bed staring at the empty flask clasp in her small delicate hands, staring at the tight neat inscription on its front, Life… it’s all thirsty work. She found herself agreeing with the words, the past few days had made her so tired, so thirsty. She had found herself, still found herself wanting to run again, to drown herself and to find solace in the bottom of the bottle. As they flew away into the black away from that forsaken rock that was Higgin’s Moon she was lost in thought. So much had happened and she wasn’t sure how to process it all and she wished that she could just forget the last 72 hours.

She found herself weighing up everything that happened, her heart jumping into her throat and tears spilling down her face. Wyatt was dead. She had euthanized a Jane Doe. The GenTech Nurse had been killed right after Alisha had gotten her stabilised and she was unable to save a simple Cardiac Arrest when she needed the easy win. Alisha had been shot, and had escaped death by an inch. An Inch! that difference and she’d have been no better than the GenTech Nurse. She had found out that there is something wrong with her mother, but wasn’t told what. She had lied about her safety to her father and found out that there are riots on Persephone, and Dad didn’t even know if he would make it through the night. She had been kidnapped, and rescued, concussed, hit by explosions, and electrocuted.
Her body was bruised, battered, cut, shot and broken. She felt distraught and drowning in grief, she felt… Lost

And yet despite everything, there was something else. Everyone had come to comfort her in some way, Kid’s words echo’d in her head. Crew are just the family you choose righ’? We’re all here for you Doc. Everyone was there for her, every single member of the Rosin Dubh had been there, and would continue to be there for her. And that nearly broke her all over again. She wasn’t alone.

She looked down at the flask in her hand. “Do somethin’ Smart.” The young doctor crawled from the bed, determined to do something before her resolve cracked and shattered. She pulled open her bottom draw, and emptied it of clothes and the few possessions she had in there, and started to fill the draw with alcohol. Everything she had left, beer, whiskey, wine, every single bottle, unopened and opened. Every drop she knew she could get a hold of went into the bottom draw. And lastly, she carefully placed the empty flask in there, pausing and staring at the rather large collection of assorted alcohol. She bit her lip, and shut the draw before she could change her mind, turning and removing the small silver key putting it on a chain, pocketing it unceremoniously.

She heard a knock at her open door, and dried her tear stained cheeks before turning to see McNally in the entrance, she smiled slightly, “You comin’ for chow Bao bei?”
She looked back at her bottom draw, If ya can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right. If ya can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’. she bit her bottom lip, “Yea I’m coming” she smiled back, slipping her arm into the crook of his as they walked towards the canteen, her mind was racing with what she was going to say before her resolve faltered.
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Cortexer
Cortexer

Character name: Elizabeth Caine

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Re: Aftermath of Higgin's Moon

When Regan returned to his bunk he would find a Roisin Dubh patch that had been torn from an item of clothing and a note that read.

I can't do this anymore, sorry.

Poppy

Captain

Character name:

Post Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:57 pm

++Incoming wave++
FOA John Reagan ONLY

Poppy is safe on board my ship. She has not said the words but it does not take a genius to figure out that she has issues with the ratio of men to women on board your ship. There is something else but I am unsure as to what and it would not be my place to say so if I did know.

Tell the crew that she merely felt like catching up with Mei. Tell them she is a rape victim and afraid of men and there will be no place in the black you can hide.

Love Tobias

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:34 pm

The mess area was quieter than normal, the gathered crew somewhat subdued. Higgins Moon was behind them, but the small ball of rock and dust cast a long shadow. McNally served up a meal of diced steak and beans, stock salvaged from the bar in Canton, probably all they would receive in payment for all their efforts. ‘Sorry it ain’t Tara’s cookin’,’ he remarked as he sat down.

‘Oh this’ll be fine, McNally,’ Burton said, about to raise the first forkful into his mouth. He stopped himself, aware McNally’s cool blue eyes were watching him. Lock caught his eye, the Preacher’s hands clasped before him. Everyone else was the same, even McNally. ‘Sorry,’ Burton whispered. It had become a ritual since Zenith, McNally cooking and making sure everyone said grace.

McNally cleared his throat and lowered his head slightly. ‘Oh Lord, for this food, for this ship and her crew... my crew... may we be truly thankful. Amen.’ He glanced to Burton and winked. ‘Chow down, Button!’ In relative silence the remaining crew of the Roisin Dubh ate. There was no Poppy, no Harrison and no Mei, their chairs empty gathered at the end of the table.

McNally regarded the empty spaces, reminding him of sadder times during the war on the mess deck of the Fast Attack Carrier Valley Forge during the Battle of the Vale of Tsiang Xiu. After each action, after each drop, there were fewer pilots returning, the 313th Air Drop Brigade being reduced in number, names scratched from the roster each evening.

He shook his head slightly and glanced to Alisha who saw the look in his eyes, the same pain he carried, the wounds of war that no physician could treat.

‘Are you okay?’ she asked, her voice a soft whisper.

‘I’ll be fine, bao bei,’ he replied, refilling her water glass. ‘It’s just a few empty chairs.’ He shrugged slightly. ‘I almost miss Mei scowlin’ at me.’ He saw Alisha’s tense smile. ‘You okay?’

She only nodded. ‘Just tired,’ she replied. ‘Just tired.’
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Preacher

Character name: Shepherd Locke

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:08 pm

Lock ate slowly, his mind elsewhere in the Black as his body healed.
Corben had informed him that there was little to be done regarding the electrical burns in the muscles surrounding his leg bones, Tobias had lent him a walking cane but the pain of the march to Fess' compound still ran through him. Poor Alisha had removed almost an entire clip of assault rifle rounds from the moon scape his back had become, between the drugs, the damage and gassing he was on his last legs. Only the Doctor had a good idea what he had gone through and for some reason his survival had been accepted easily. He was The Preacher, he couldn't seem to die.

The spoon scraped against the bowl as he mechanically ate the last mouthful.
He was The Preacher and God would not have him. He was no longer going to Hell, that much was clear but he, no they, had a mission. They had to save Him.

And that was a problem all in itself.
Such soft skin for one who dealt death as easily as any he'd served with, he'd never expected to feel this again, he'd worry that it was a sin but someone had put them together as a team. That was clear, whatever would happen, would happen to both of them. And that made it all worse so that now he needed to learn how to dance.
Last edited by Preacher on Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition"

Public Relations
Public Relations

Character name: Jon Caine

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:08 pm

+++incoming wave+++

Fao Sgt Regan

Need Intel status on Capt S Bennett 3:7 Intel corps, codename Angeleyes. Can you see if one of your boys and girls can break through the alliance dead zone.

Thanks Caine

Addendum: ty for the bunk sarg you don't know what it means to me.

Stay shiney.
Your best... losers always whine about doing their best, winners go home and fuck the prom queen.

- Mason, John

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:27 pm

Sitting down the eat, Alisha poured herself a coffee, in Regan’s elegant words ‘So strong it’ll knock the enamel off your teeth’, and with trembling hands lifted it to her lips. The fist fighter served her first, before retrieving his own meal, she waited for grace and started to eat, or rather pushing the meal around the bowl, her stomach twisting tightly and making her feel ill.
‘You okay?’McNally had said
She had only nodded. ‘Just tired,’ she replied. ‘Just tired.’

The crew talked amongst themselves muted, but all just as happy as her to be off of Higgin’s bloody moon. But she still saw them glance over to her, amidst their conversations she could feel their eyes on her, her ears burning with the attention.

She bit her lip, and stared down at the untouched meat and beans in her bowl. McNally leaned towards her, his broad shoulders bumping hers and whispered softly in her ear, “I can see ya want to say somethin’ Bao bei, why not be spittin’ out so you can eat ya chow.”

“Yea…” Alisha struggled to swallow the lump that was in her throat, her hands twitching slightly, she paused for the longest moment before looking up across the table, and raising her voice slightly over the chatter, “I erm… I’ve got somethin’ I need to say.” Her hands clenched into fists as she put them on her lap, taking strength from the crew around the table, and McNally’s paw like hand gently enveloping one of hers.

“I erm…” She closed her eyes and took a deep break before trembling she opened them again and looked at everyone seated, all eyes on her. “I want to thank you. I’ve been having a bad few days… a… very bad few days, and everyone around this table was there for me when I needed you most… I thought my family was getting smaller… Between Warren and Wyatt, and not knowing if my folks are safe…” Alisha’s voice cracked slightly, and her eyes welled with tears, “but… I’ve realised that my family has never been bigger” Her eyes met Kids and she smiled slightly “A Crew is just the family you choose right?”

She met the eyes of everyone at the table, finally looking sideways into McNally’s, she could have left it there, but there was more to say, he gently squeezed her hand and unknowingly gave her the strength to keep talking. “I… I have a drinking problem and I have been trying, and failing to stop.” There, it had been said, it was out in the open for all to hear, she was a recovering alcoholic and she had admitted that she was not doing too well. She didn’t dare look at McNally now, she didn’t want him to realise how badly she had been failing.
“Getting shot, an inch’s difference and I wouldn’t be here… It’s made me think… Really think.. I want to stop drowning myself, I want to stop running away… You can run away to the black, but eventually what you’re running from, it’ll catch you… Higgin’s Moon was an eye opener… and.. I want to start living again, and I need to ask you all to give me your support an’ help to do that. To break the habit…”
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:41 pm

McNally smiled tightly, squeezing Alisha's hand gently, his eyes welling with tears. He felt a lump in his throat and his heart ached... not that he would admit as much. He leaned in and guided Alisha into the crook of his shoulder. 'I'm proud of you, bao bei,' he murmured, his voice close to breaking. 'No matter what, I am proud of you!'
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: William Burton

Post Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Burton felt all eyes on him, especially McNally's when he went to eat. Just remembering and stopping in time.
He apologised sheepishly.
Surprisingly he was glad to be back in space, twice now he'd felt like that.
Zenith now Higgin's Moon, what was happening to him?
"Once, just once." He'd said to Regan while they were planet side, "I'd like a nice smooth landing where nothing blows up or falls off. We land, the doors open and it's sunny." He waves his arms about, "We walk down onto a nice surface, head off to buy supplies. Have a drink or two in a bar. Maybe do a bit of sight seeing. Then we get back in and fly away, and nothing happens. Is that too much to ask for?"
Regan had just grinned back at him.

He'd found Tara's gift while stowing his gear, and trying the ginger seemed to have worked, for the moment anyway. Why had he never thought to try ginger?
He smiled to himself as he remembered when they'd stormed the Higgin's house, Tara, Kid and him hiding out in the larder going through and helping themselves to the food while Caine had tried to disarm the bomb just outside the door.
"I'm a marine." He'd remarked to the surprised Kid when he started to eat the peaches in the middle of a battle.

The events of the weekend had been interesting to say the least, no way as horrifying as Zenith had been, but almost as bad.
Before entry he'd managed to get his dosage of medicine wrong and had overdosed, causing him to see, hear and feel things.
He'd almost spread panic by seeing Reavers several times. But that wasn't the worst of it. More than once he'd seen the accusing face of Oz and heard him blaming him for failing to save his life.
But worst of all he was ashamed of himself, he'd been a liability to the others when they'd gone out on the Friday to help some people. Almost putting their lives in danger, and being unable to do his job.

Alisha's words broke into his thoughts, he looked at her.
That took some doing. Admitting there's a problem is one of the hardest steps to fixing it. He thought to himself as he watched her and McNally.
Those two where good together he thought before returning his attention to his meal.
I hate flying!
This one's got no pulse. -Next!

kid

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Post Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:15 am

Kid slipped into the room after it was clear the meal had begun. She'd found it was easier to wait than try facing down McNally and the Preacher. She pulled up a chair and went to work with a will. The bullet holes in her right shoulder sent occasional shooting pains down her arm as she tried to use it, but she kept on. Mostly it was just reassuring that she wasn't losing use of the arm.
The mood around the table caught at her as did the empty chairs. Despite the fleet getting bigger, it was hard to fight the feeling that their little crew had gotten smaller. The feeling was that of a family slowly falling apart. Well, no more.
Alisha interrupted her chain of thought. Kid listened carefully. It had never crossed her mind that her words could have made an impact. She sat in silence for a moment, then dashed off to her bunk. She was back wothin a minute, awkwardly carrying a box behind her back. "You know what a dinner like this deserves?" She produced the box "Puddin'!" The box opened to reveal a huge chocolate cake, liberally decorated with thick dark icing. "Courtesy of Boss Higgins' exceedin'ly well stock stores." She grinned at Burton "I spotted it when we were in the stores, couldn't resist! I figure it's the least he can do. So, who's fer a slice?"
Nah, ship didn't need those parts anyway...
Next

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old