Insomnia

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:38 pm

Re: Insomnia

Alisha methodically dissected her plateful of Bacon and Pancakes, all of it drowning in syrup, eating it slowly, but she was eating. McNally was being civil, so she had to eat. It was quiet at first as everyone tucked into breakfast, and then the chatter started, the laughter, jokes and banter. A Family Gathering.
It was almost like being back home when all of her family congregated for a Sunday lunch, everyone coming back for a big meal all seated around their large wooden table that dominated the dining room. That thought made her throat tighten with emotion, her fork pausing half way through mopping up syrup with her pancake.
She could feel the tears threatening her eyes, but also feel McNally’s gaze flick to her when she paused eating. The young doctor reached for her cup, just coffee. Coffee wouldn’t take away the memories, but it would give her a moment to compose herself.

The moment over, she purposely rocked sideways playfully bumping shoulders with McNally, “Thanks for this… Dragging me out…” She murmured, for just him to hear, “It’s nice to be surrounded by people who care… The breakfast ain’t half bad too”

‘Yep,’ McNally said in reply to Alisha. He took up his coffee mug and sipped thoughtfully, his eyes scanning the diners at the table. Perhaps they were wondering why he said grace or why he was being nice or even why he had chosen to cook for them and dine with them... but he was strangely calm, at peace with the ‘verse for the first time in such a long time. If Molly could see you now, he mused, almost smiling to himself as he glanced to Kid’s empty plate and empty chair. For a moment he felt a pang of guilt. Alisha’s vulnerability was clear, but Kid hid hers beneath a mask of brightness, like the blue sun itself, blinding and impenetrable... or so it seemed. Sometimes the mask slipped, the brightness faded and the clouds closed in. But he had Alisha to worry about, she needed his help and Kid? He looked to Chai over the rim of his mug, seeing an expression of recognition as McNally nodded to the empty chair. Chai gave a slight nod in reply and McNally felt his guilt slowly ebb away. He was a teacher to Kid, a mentor, not someone who would truly care for her as such. She needed an equal, a partner, a friend... not a father. Maybe we have more in common, he thought, maybe her father was as cruel and unloving as mine... or maybe he just wasn’t there for her. He looked back to Alisha, seemingly so small and fragile and... and so like Molly it almost hurt. He poured her more coffee and refilled his own mug, then returned to his breakfast realising that, no matter what, he was making a difference.

As Kid sat in the engine room, she was distracted by a slight noise. Sounded like the stabilisers needed adjusting. Barely thinking, she grabbed her toolbelt and got to work.
An hour or so later, she stepped back from the engine, wiping sweat from her forehead. Strange how she got her best thinkin' done with a spanner in hand. She carefully put her tools back where she had got then from, and went in search of the captain.

"Disassembly of the Sig Sauer P226...
1. Unload the pistol.
2. Draw back the slide until stop and hold it in
the open position by thumbing up the slide catch
lever.
3. Check that there is no round in the chamber.
4. Thumb down takedown lever.
5. Draw slide back slightly to disengage slide catch
lever. Hold slide firmly with the hand and allow
it to glide forward.
6. Now slip complete assembly (slide, barrel, recoil
spring and recoil spring guide) forward and off
the frame.
7. Press in recoil spring guide, raise it carefully and
remove recoil spring with recoil spring guide
from the slide.
8. Pull recoil spring from recoil spring guide.
Remove recoil spring bar, including buffer spring
from the recoil spring guide.
9. Lift barrel out of slide.

Cleaning...
1. Moisten the cleaning brush with gun oil and
insert into the barrel through the chamber.
Carefully remove all powder residues and dirt in the
barrel and chamber with the cleaning brush.
2. Free the insides of the barrel and chamber of
powder residues and oil using a cleaning cloth.
3. Clean the external surfaces of the barrel with
a brush moistened with gun oil.
4. Wipe dirt off the guides of the frame, internal and
external sides of the slide, locking insert, recoil
spring guide and recoil spring with a brush or
cloth and then oil or grease with a cloth soaked in gun
oil or gun grease.
5. Lightly oil barrel bore and chamber.

Reassembly...
1. Check that there is no foreign matter inside the pistol
and that the barrel serial number corresponds with the
slide and frame serial numbers.
2. Insert the barrel with its locking cam pointing down
into the slide.
3. Slip the narrower end of the recoil spring over the
recoil spring guide. Remove recoil spring bar,
including buffer spring from the recoil spring guide.
4. Thumb down takedown lever.
5. Insert recoil spring system into the slide.
6. From the front, slip the complete system onto
the guide of the frame.
7. Draw back slide to the rear stop and push up slide
catch lever to arrest the slide in its open position.
8. Push up takedown lever counter-clockwise.
9. Actuate slide catch lever; slide flicks forward.
10. Decock the pistol in a safe direction via the trigger."

To most people it was a chore, to Regan it was a form of meditation. A ballet of movements, steady, precise, always the same. He laid out each component of his service pistol on the table in a pattern he had used since he was a recruit. He could do it in pitch blackness, in a blindfold if necessary, and find every spring, every component, right where he had put it. He looked over at the old revolver on his bed, the trophy of a battle so long ago, so far away. He had worn it to remember old friends long dead, but it was big, slow and pretty near useless in a serious fight. The Preacher swore by his, but considering the kind of fight they were getting into lately, Regan needed what he knew and trusted. The Colt would go in his locker, and he would stick to the SiG from now on.... "Actuate slide catch lever; slide flicks forward. Decock the pistol in a safe direction via the trigger." He reloaded the pistol and slid it back into the moulded belt holster til it locked in place, the trigger cover removing the need to apply the safety... As he slipped it back into his belt, somebody tapped on the door.

"Yup?"

The door opened and Kid stood there looking serious. "Cap'n, you got a minute?"

"Sure" he said, "have a seat..."

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:39 pm

She hesitated in the doorway for a moment, then stepped inside and shut the door hurriedly but she didn't sit down. When she spoke, the words came out in a rush
"I don't tend to stay anywhere long. Ain't stayed on a boat longer 'n a year since I've been in the black. But you know, um, I mean I gave you my credentials when I came on board. So you know that. What I'm sayin' is that I don't like gettin' comfortable anywhere. Not anymore."
There was a pause as she gathered her thoughts
"Truth is, if we were docked anywhere a half hour ago, I'd have grabbed my kit an' gone. Layla would have kept the ship runnin fine. An' there's no shortage of mechanics out there for you to hire. But I'd have been gone. But then the stabiliser needed adjustin' - its fine by the way, but we may need to look at pickin' up a spare catalyser at some point, our current one is runnin', but I ain't sure about the look of it. Well, I was thinkin' an' I realised I'm kinda sick of runnin' from it...all," she waved a hand vaguely as a series of unreadable expressions flitted across her face "an' I was thinkin' 'bout this virus stuff, an' how I get on with you all, despite the fact I ain't ever got on with soldier-types that well, an'...an' Chai an' everythin'." there was a final deep breath "So what I'm sayin' is that I'm stayin', if you'll have me, but I thought you should probably know summa that?"
She sagged slightly, and finally met Reagan's eyes.

He looked at her steadily for a moment, then spoke.

"Kid, I kinda figured you needed to work out your own place on this boat, and I'm glad you have. There's a place here for as long as you want it, and between you an' me, there maybe lots of mechanics out there, but there's Gorram few can hold a match to you."

She shuffled in an embarrassed kind of way, so he changed the subject.

"I've seen a catalyser go out, it ain't a pleasant experience. It's a nuthin' part but it'll ruin your day if you can't breathe out here! Chai's in charge of stores and supplies, get him to source one on Sihnon when we pick up Mei and Marshall..."

"One question though..." he grinned mischievously "who the hell's Layla?"

Kid grinned lopsidedly "When I first came on board, I needed an insulating box to set some of the backup systems up in, the kitbox I found had 'Layla' written on the side... Given it now houses the backups and some of the autopilot stuff and, basically, the failsafes, I've sorta started calling it...her Layla. She's the one that takes care of us when there's noone at the helm." She turned to leave, opening the door before she spun back round "Oh, and you think I'm good now? You ain't seen nothin' yet."

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Breakfast was finished, and all too soon it seemed to Burton.
He looked down at the meal he'd enjoyed and then contemplated his next task, the not so enjoyable job of putting Harrison back together again.
He wasn't really sure what to do. What he really needed was a shrink and that wasn't something he was trained in, nearly all his training had revolved around bullet wounds and physical trauma, not something like this.
Sitting staring at my plate is not going to get this done. He thought to himself.
Looking over he could see that the soldier hadn't eaten much, shame to see the food go to waste. Thankfully McNally hadn't given him much.

Slowly getting to his feet he moved round, making sure that Harrison could see him as he approached.
He wondered how to start, then decided his training would probably be dominant at the moment.
"Lieutenant come with me." He said in an authoritative tone.

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Other's washed up leaving McNally to check on the flight-deck. The Roisin was flying true in deep space, her nav-comp making slight course corrections as necessary, Sihnon still some distance away. It would be a good few weeks before they would have even sight of the system but she would get them there. He patted the bulkhead gently. 'You ain't too shabby, y'old bucket o'bolts.' He sat down in the pilot's seat and contemplated the black as the stars twinkled, closing his eyes... and wondering about going home to Marauder's Reach.
Previous

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old