Santo

CEO of Black Rose Freight

Character name: Regan

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:41 pm

Santo

Two shadows slipped across the deserted street and into the alleyway opposite. One of them rapped on the side door of the warehouse, and the door opened a crack. They stepped inside and the door closed behind them. A tall, scruffy looking individual in an old grey shirt and jeans, with a yellow flower tucked behind his ear, looked them up and down.

"You Regan?" The shorter man nodded, then spun around as a noise in the corner alerted him. A big pistol appeared in his hand, aiming at the startled henchman's face. Yellow flower jumped as the muzzle of another pistol pressed into his ribs, and he looked up into the eyes of the taller man. Marshall winked, and smiled a little, pushing the gun harder into his side. The scruffy man held his hands out, palms out, and spoke softly and carefully. "No need to get jumpy, that's just Festus bringing your merchandise."

Festus put the unit down on the table and backed slowly over to a chair. He sat down with his hands on his knees, an old hand at such transactions. Regan holstered the SiG, Marshall simply lowered his pistol to waist height and stepped back to cover the room. Yellow flower smiled and gestured to the table. "Nice piece of equipment, just needs a cleanup. I'll throw in a few hundred rounds for good luck, plus my usual gratuity...."

Marshall holstered his gun and picked up the object. Throwing the sling over his shoulder, he pulled the slide. It stuck halfway, and the mag fell out onto the concrete floor. He glanced at Regan and shook his head.

"Ok, so it needs a bit of work, a few screws tightened up maybe... I'll drop the price to two fifty, alright?"

Regan just stared at him and waited.

"Ok, Ok, two hundred..." Yellow flower was getting nervous now.

"I can buy one legitimately for one-fifty, you're gonna have to do a lot better. Especially for a piece of junk like this..."

Yellow flower shook his head. "Dammit! Eighty credits, not a dollar less.... And find your own Gorram ammo!"

Regan winked at Marshall. "Get that to Hopscotch, she should be able to get it working."

He peeled off the notes, and handed them over to the trader. As he turned to go, yellow flower called him back, and gestured towards the table again. "Don't forget your gratuity..."

Regan stared in amazement. "You gotta be kidding me!"

*******************************************************************************************************************

In the Rose's workshop, Astrid and Kid were already stripping the heavy machine gun down. Kid glanced down the bench, looking a little uncomfortable..

"...And I actually think he would've shot me if I refused. Guy was a complete fruitcake. So, ladies, find a use for it...." Regan patted the ceramic bathroom sink, grinned and strolled out....
If you ain't crew, you ain't family...

kid

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:42 pm

Re: Santo

Kid stared at the back of the captains retreating head "Even threw in the kitchen sink..." She ambled over to inspect it. "Best thing about ceramics an' such, they're pretty chemically stable... Fancy seein' if we can brew the hell outa whatever we can find in the kitchen?"
Nah, ship didn't need those parts anyway...

Chai ambled amiably into the workshop. He'd been taking it easy after the ship first hit the black. It'd been a while since he'd seen any real action and though he came out comparatively unscathed it didn't hurt to take it easy. Besides, there had been an odd tension on the ship since they left New Kincardine. Seemed to be lifting a little now though ... a little ...

More importantly, since Kid's little curiosity exercise had triggered that hidden tracker he'd decided that perhaps keeping half an eye on her wouldn't be the worst thing in the verse that he could do. Sure, she wasn't in any way his responsibility ... but ... he couldn't help feeling it none the less.

He stopped mid stride as he approached the workbench, "Uhhhhhhhhhhhh ... Don't rightly know what kinda thinkin' lead you ta pickin' up a kitchen sink ... but I'd take it as a kindness if it didn't involve hull damage an' explosive decompression ..."

kid

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Kid shrugged "I guess that's brewing out then. Last attempt I made at that put a three-foot hole in the barn roof." She smiled at them memory "Course, that just led to a whole heap of experimentin' with explosives. Amazing what you can make." She caught Chai's expression "Okay, I get it, no explosions. Promise."
She waved down the bench at the machine gun "Anyway, sink weren't my idea, Captain picked it up with that beauty. Apparently he went to a jumble sale for it... Got any suggestions?"

Chai narrowed his eyes as he gave Kid a long suspicious look, before letting it shift into a good humoured snort. "I'd be surprised if even you came round to thinkin' blowin' a hole in the hull was any kind o' right course." Then pondering for a moment, added "Surprised, but not shocked ..."

Giving Kid a playful wink he turned his attention to the new hardware that Astrid was fastidiously working over. As he approached, Astrid seemed to notice him for the first time and gave him a curt yet friendly nod before returning her full attention to the weapon. Chai whistled between his teeth as he ran an appraising eye over it, "I take it our close call with the fine Shepherd and our first mate has the Cap'n roundin' up a little insurance policy ..."

Cortexer
Cortexer

Character name: Elizabeth Caine

Poppy knew the captain was out on business and that most of the crew would either be busy or sightseeing so she took the opportunity to go for a stroll herself. She wondered off the rose pretty certain no one knew or cared where she was going and headed into town. She sent a few minutes looking in the shop windows before heading down into the dodgier parts of town, past several bars before she came to the place she was looking for. A beaten up old bar. She smiled and headed in, looking at the young bar tender as she leant against the dirty bar. “Whiskey.”

The boy looked at her and poured her drink and set it down, as she went to grab it he moved it just out of reached. “How about an alternative payment method?” He said, grinning. Until he was whacked around the back of the head by a much older gentleman that had appeared from the back.

“What have I told you about talking to ladies like that?” The older man scolded. “Sorry little one, he needs to learn to think before he speaks.” He said and handed Poppy her drink. “Well, look at you, all grown up.”

“I’m sure he meant no harm, how are you?” Poppy said with a soft smile as she sipped her whiskey.

“Ah as good as ever!” The old man looked at the patch on her arm. “So you joined a ship, I knew you weren’t one to keep still for long, the rose huh? I hear a few good things about that one, few bad too.”

“You shouldn’t believe everything you hear. Do you still have old Bessie?” She asked.

“Aye.” The old man nodded. “Come on through to the back.” Poppy got up and headed towards the backroom.

Finally the boy decided to speak. “What? Hey people aren’t allowed back there, and you won’t even let me use that thing.”

“That’s because you’ll break her, she’s a delicate old thing. And whatever Miss Poppy wants, she gets, if it wasn’t for this little girl your old grandpa wouldn’t be here to make sure you’re not being a complete idiot. Now shut it unless ya got something helpful to add!” The old man once again scolded.

Poppy walked through to the back and pulled a dusty sheet off an old cortex terminal. She smiled and sat down before looking up ways she might be able to make some money for the crew, legal or not.

kid

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Some time later, Kid stood in the workshop, staring at the sink. She and Astrid had stripped and sorted the gun, and Astrid had joined most of the others in getting some time on-world and enjoying the fresh air. Kid was finding herself unable to relax, her mind kept coming back to the damn thing. Captain had given her a challenge, and her imagination was failing her. For the first time in a long time, Kid was stumped.

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old