Late Night Wandering

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Re: Late Night Wandering

'Gettin' sweet on Kid, Padre? My my how times have changed,' McNally remarked coldly. 'Time was when a certain Shepherd of my acquaintence took up with a Companion to pass the time.' He regarded Lock and half-smiled. 'You don't geddit, do ya, Padre? You reckon I was trying to bust Kid up 'cause I'm mad at my dead daddy?' He shook his head disconsolately. 'For your notice, me killin' my momma by being born ain't all the story... only the beginning. I just reckoned you're better off knowin' why folks like you make my skin crawl.'

He rose slowly and dropped the bloodied cloth back into the basin. 'As for givin' Kid a beating, it's like I said. Sooner she learns to take a beatin' the better she'll know for next time... maybe even when to pick a fight or when not. It ain't nothin' to do with any 'demons'.'

He sat back down again. 'You'd best git... your chin-music is startin' to fracture my calm.'

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:40 pm

"Ain't the Kid that's worryin' me, McNally. Bruises fade and bones heal."
The Preacher stepped out the door.
"Your father ain't the only man in your family blaming you for life's ill. As to my needs for companionship..." Locke looked back at the fighter. "I ain't your father."
With that he slid the door closed.

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:41 pm

'Amen to that, Padre,' McNally remarked to the closed door and smiled to himself, somewhat amused. On any other day on any other ship he would've expected some violence in return for his harsh lesson to Kid and to at least be ordered off the ship, but, so far, no such order came.

He laid back and closed his eyes, feeling his lip throb and his jaw ache. Kid could throw a punch, that was for sure, she just needed to judge the hard hitters like him and make adjustments, like put a gun in their mouths rather than a fist. Beneath half-closed lids he slipped into a reverie, a humid night in a dive-bar in the fetid underbelly of an Athens spaceport, the place where McNally had honed his trade.

It was the small, inconsequential man in the tartan bow-tie who trained him and sought training for him, a man called Galbraith. Galbraith wasn't a fighter himself, but he knew how to fight, and he saw McNally trained by the best. For his trouble, Galbraith took precious little money, barely enough to live on. When McNally had asked why the old man didn't take what he was due from the purses, the reply had come soft and calm. Seva. McNally took a while to learn what it meant and he had tried to live by Galbraith's teachings ever since.

'Galbraith'd never see you beat up on a woman,' he remarked to himself with a sigh, and he sat up. 'Gorram cat's got better wits than me!' He stared at the door for a few minutes contemplating it as if, by willpower alone, he could see through it, deciding at last to move. As he rose, his heel nudged the corner of the case under his bunk. He pushed it back as far as it would go and pulled his waistcoat on, popping the door open and stepping out.

All was relatively quiet and he stepped along the corridor, into the cargo bay before climbing up to the engineering deck. He paused and finally called out, 'Kid, you in here? S'me, McNally. I jus' wanna talk, okay?'

Kid looked up from her spot on the floor 'Over here. The fuzzball came in, didn't want him getting caught up in any of the machinery.' She looked up as he came over 'You really reckon you can teach me some of that? Even seeing where I'm at now?'

McNally hunkered down next to Kid, regarding her calmly. 'I figure it'd take time,' he murmured at last. 'But you can already throw a punch. Thing is I've been beatin' on folks for a long time, was doin' it since I've been half your height, so I can hit pretty hard. You might never be able to hit that hard, so you're gonna have to learn to fight smart. An' that's the trick.' He clenched his fists tightly, then flexed his fingers. 'An' before you start gettin' all antsy over deals and bargains and such, I ain't wantin' nor neither deservin' of somethin' in return. My old trainer called it Seva, an ancient word that means doin' stuff for folks' benefit without payment or reward. I try to live by it, but I can't say I've cared much recently for anything... 'cept since comin' aboard the Roisin. So you wanna thank me for teachin' ya anything, you say your thanks, but I don't want, I don't need and I don't expect nothin' in return...' He paused for a moment as Soc's head rose and the cat regarded the man with a snug satisfaction. 'Hmm, maybe, seein' as I'm liable to get into trouble, Socrates'll need someone else lookin' out for 'im. I'll learn ya if you'll keep an extra eye on 'im for me.' He offered his hand finally. 'Deal?'

Kid shook the offered hand eagerly 'Hell of a deal" she grinned. "Now, as the adrenaline is wearin off, I'm headed for sleep." She levered herself up cautiously "see ya tomorrow McNally. Sleep well." She meandered her way back to her bunk, smiling lopsidedly as she went.
Previous

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old