Late Night Wandering

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Re: Late Night Wandering

Kid came round, keeping her eyes shut she shifted slightly, feeling for the knife she knew should be strapped to her back. It wasn't there. She opened her eyes in a panic, one that only lasted til she recognised the faces of those around her. She remembered, she'd taken the knife off a couple of days previous. She shut her eyes briefly, checked herself over mentally. 'McNally get scared then?' Her voice was strong still, even if the rest of her felt like jelly. She didn't make any attempt to stand up, not yet. She wasn't sure her legs or head could take it.

'S'alright doc, nothin' feels broken' she explored her mouth with a finger as she went through the standard concussion tests with the doctor 'didn't even loosen any teeth. Bastard was goin' easy. Round two better not be that easy.' she caught the look on Chai's face 'Oh, c'mon, its not like he nicked my wallet while I was out. That's a first an' all.' She levered herself slowly to her feet, trying not to wince visibly. 'Tell the captain I'll clean the blood up in the morning.' She wavered for a second then found her balance. 'Cos I think I need to lie down fer a bit.' Her grin crept back as she headed towards her room 'How'd it look?'

Jack leant against the stairs, arms folded. He smiled slightly and shook his head. "Tough bunch'a bastards I've found myself" he thought. "Almost like being back in the Corps... Almost."

He reached up and tapped Chai on the shoulder. Opening his belt pouch, he took out a small cloth bundle and unrolled it to reveal a shiny new lockpick set, then nodded towards the lockers in the bulkhead on the port side.

"Picked it up on Santo... Wanna teach me how to use it?"

Soc regarded McNally, eyes narrowed in a way only a cat could manage. McNally dabbed the damp cloth at his mouth, the swelling fading already, the smatterings of blood in the small basin marking how he had deepened the cut in his lip to deliberately. He had considered asking Burton for a little medical attention but had figured he wouldn't be welcome in the infirmary for a while yet. He glanced away from his reflection catching the glower of his cat. As if in disdain, Soc yowled and stood up, bristling slightly.

'Yeah, well, she asked for it!' McNally said to the cat. 'And the whore, she had a pistol at my head.' He washed the cloth in the basin, wringing it out and holding the cool, damp material to his cheek. He sat down next to his cat. 'I ain't gonna make a habit of throwin' down on women. Next opportunity I get I'm gonna find a fight, Regan ain't gonna want us aboard if we don't pay our way.' Soc hopped down from the bed and stalked out of the cabin, tail high. 'Yeah, good idea,' McNally said softly. 'You go make peace with Kid, make sure I didn't do any permanent harm.' He listened then, wondering if Chai or Lock would come in and beat him down. He deserved it... and worse. Maybe Regan was deciding whether to put him off the ship right now.

But no one came to his cabin.

He felt safe, alone and isolated, and he crouched, reaching beneath the bunk and pulling a moderately sized metal case out. He popped the latches and opened in slowly. Wrapped in a cloth was a large and well maintained hand-cannon, a lever-action pistol rarely seen these days, his father's gun. Alongside it was a bible, again once carried by McNally's estranged father, and beneath the two items a folded paper, dog-eared and marked as though it had been crumpled and then smoothed out somewhat. He unfolded it slowly and felt tears sting his eyes, beginning to fall. He shook his head slowly. 'Lousy, no-good sumbitch,' he snarled at himself as his tears fell upon the parchment-like paper. He buried his head into the blanket on the bed to that his sobs were muffled. He didn't want anyone to hear him crying.

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Lock knocked gently on McNally's door.

"McNally? You might not be interested in opening up but you will open this door." The Preacher whispered, clear enough to pass through the door but not carry too far.

McNally heard Lock’s voice, lower than a whisper but somehow clear enough to hear. His tears seemed to evaporate as he folded the page and put it back in the case, locking down the latches. He slid the case back under the bunk and rose slowly, catching his reflection in the mirror. He wiped the last remnant tears from his face, noting that his lip was bleeding again, as he unlatched the door, hauling it open, and waiting for the punch to land.

Kid sat with her back to the humming engine in the dark. She'd gotten as far as her cabin before realising the cocktail of adrenaline and caffeine would never let her sleep. She jumped as something brushed against her leg before she realised what it was 'hi, Cat' she gave Socrates a brief stroke and he climbed into her lap. 'Alright, you can stay for a while.' She settled back, absentmindedly stroking the cat, running over the fight in her head. 'I've just gotta work out where I went wrong, see? Can't make the same mistakes next time.'

Lock watched the door slid open and slipped inside.
He looked around the room carefully as if not seeing McNally for the moment before leaning back against the wall. Seemingly comfortable only then did his gaze rest on McNally and the look fixed the prize fighter with a neutral intensity.
"I ain't going to ask you to talk but we ain't leaving till you do. Now spill it."

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:40 pm

"I ain't after your life story, I just want to know what the flying fuck happened back there and are you and I going to have issues?"

‘I was born a sinner,’ McNally said flatly. ‘You wanna make an issue of that, go right ahead... there ain’t no one breathin’ nor nothin’ in the whole ‘Verse neither can redeem me for what I’d done just bein’ birthed in the first place. My daddy was a Shepherd who preached love and forgiveness but never showed me nothin’ but hate. He had to be dying before he could have a care for me and I wasn’t even there at the end. What did I do so wrong? I lived after my momma died birthin’ me. I got marked for a killing I never knew I’d done.’ He took a half step towards Lock. ‘So if you wanna punch me out, go right ahead, I’m pretty beat right now anyways. For what it’s worth Kid punches above her weight, I jus’ have a good more years of experience... bitter experience. I reckon it’s better she learns her limits when no one’s gonna punch her ticket for good than when it’s life an’ death. That what don’t kill ‘er only makes her stronger.’ He waited for a moment, but no punch was thrown. With a shrug he stepped away to the small basin and rinsed blood from the cloth. ‘I warned her I wouldn’t be holdin’ back and she got what she was askin’ for.’ He pressed the cloth back against his face and sat down heavily. ‘I am a man of my word, for what it’s worth. I’ll stand ground with y’all... an’ when someone tells me not to hold back, they’ll know what they’re gettin’. But the way I see it, y’all are better folks than me. I’m the scum of the ‘Verse compared... I learned me that lesson a-ways back.’

"McNally, there is 'wouldn't be holding back' and trying to kill your demons with your fists. Your demons are in your past not that little girl. I ain't here to hit you and I ain't here to redeem you." Lock looked at the fighter carefully.
"Only you and God can redeem your sorry ass." The Preacher moved to the door and paused before looking at him. "I did say I didn't want your life story, McNally, you gave it anyway. Next time you want to face your demons in the ring, you make sure either it's the bag or me."
Lock opened the door and smiled over his shoulder.
"And if it is me, make sure we ain't in space. I don't wanna get puked on whilst the Doctor tries to patch my face up, y'hear?"
PreviousNext

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old