Late Night Wandering

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Re: Late Night Wandering

The heavenly smell of coffee reached Williams nose waking him. Well it would have been heavenly if he'd been planet side.
With a groan he sat up, his stomach rumbled and he reflexively reached for a bucket, however this time he was just hungry. Swinging his feet off the bed he stood up unsteadily. Stumbling over to the wash basin he splashed water onto his face. Taking one look at the pill bottles on the shelf he closed his eyes and left them alone.
"This is a lot better than before. Let's not tempt fate." He said as he turned his back on them and made his way out the door. His legs growing stronger with each step.
Reaching the mess he saw the crew assembled, "So, what's wrong this time?" he asked taking a seat at the table wondering if it was safe to have a cup of the wonderful smelling brew.

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:37 pm

Kid ran a coffee in for Reagan then settled down in a chair with her own. "Thanks fer this, preacher." She stared into her mug for a moment "Sorry about all this, guys. I weren't payin proper attention." She glanced over at McNally "hey, you up for a lesson later? Captain won't kick my arse over this so I figure someone should." Her customary grin was creeping back "That is, if yer can hit me after all this coffee..."

McNally shrugged slightly and regarded Kid with the hint of a smile. 'You're persistent, I'll give you that,' he said softly. ‘Don’t normally raise my hand to a lady, ‘course there’s exceptions... like when a certain whore puts a polymer-plated sissy-pistol in my face but dun’t pull the trigger.’ He frowned heavily and drained his mug. ‘Still, if you’re itchin’ to throw down I’ll oblige.’ He rose slowly and stretched, flexing his fingers and cracking his knuckles. ‘Jus’ don’t hold back... cus I won't be!’

"I don't ever give up" a brief cloud flickered across Kids face "no matter what." Her customary smile crept back "'sides, I ain't no lady" she waved her coffee vaguely "just let me enjoy this while its still warm and I'll be ready an' raring!" A thought struck her "Preacher, you mind if I keep the coffee grounds that ain't any more use? I've a mind to pick up a tomato plant next chance I get, an' those make good soil. I can offer yer some of the fruit."

Lock smiled at Kidd. "By all means but in return do you mind if I sit and watch the lesson?"

Kid drained the last if her coffee with a small sigh. 'By all means, if McNally's got no objections. Should be good fun, fer those of you that ain't me. Rest of yer can come along too if you like' She rinsed her mug and put it back. 'Alright, let's do this!'

Chai leaned over the the railing of the small catwalk and raised an eyebrow at the scene below. The commotion had roused him and he was curious to see what all the action was about. Kid had a habit of getting herself into trouble and, well, for some reason he felt about as safe as he could do on any vessel right now so he wasn't so much worried as intrigued.

This could be a whole heap of interesting and, since she didn't seem to be trying to draw everyone in the verse's attention on them at this very second, entertaining.

Smiling dryly to himself he made he way down into the small crowd ...

McNally led the way down to the cargo bay, Kid and Lock in tow but also aware that Chai and Burton were also making moves to follow. As he reached the cargo space he shook off his waist-coat and deposited it on a crate of freeze-dried apples. Turning to Kid he regarded her coldly. ‘You ready?’

She winked and smiled. ‘Born ready,’ she murmured, squaring up to him and raising her fists. Lock leaned up against a stack of crates, Chai and Burton at the head of the ramp, looking down on the scene.

McNally regarded them briefly. ‘Three wise men,’ he murmured. ‘Nice audience.’

‘Well,’ Kid said, noting McNally’s arms were relaxed and at his side. ‘We gonna dance or are you playin’ punch-bag now?’

McNally’s eyes fixed on her and he frowned. ‘Just don’t hold ba-‘ Kid snapped out a left jab, narrowly missing McNally’s jaw as he weaved. She saw momentary surprise, but then felt him catch her arm as she withdrew, pulling her close in and hooking his arm around her neck. McNally hissed in her ear, ‘Try not to overextend. It leaves you open...’ He whipped her arm straight and shoved her in the back, sending her crashing into punch-bag and sprawling to the floor. ‘And off balance,’ he finished as he advanced on her. She reached her feet in time to duck under blurring right fist and then had to block the left hook following it. She staggered back a little shocked at how fast he was. ‘Don’t swing a punch at a time,’ he growled, moving in on the attack again. ‘Practice combinations,’ he muttered, switching from south-paw to north-paw and back. She side-stepped fast, away from the swinging punch-bag and easily avoiding a left-cross, congratulating herself until she realised he had subtly telegraphed the move. The feigned blow became a swingeing backhand strike that she managed to block with her arm, feeling her shoulder shudder and reeled back, crashing into a stack of crates at the back of the cargo bay. She gathered herself enough to throw a left upper-cut counter-punch which didn’t connect, but kept him back as she tried to recover and get herself some room, starting to flag as McNally stalked her, his hands kept in an unusually low guard.

‘Y’arms tired?’ she taunted.

He shook his head. ‘Let’s change the tempo,’ he replied tersely as his hands were suddenly on her lapels, yanking her off her feet and almost casually pitching her back into the centre of the cargo bay. She rolled up onto one knee, rising in time deflect a right hook, using his momentum against him and tripping him. He fell heavily and she brought her elbow down towards his neck. He rolled away at the last moment, coming up on one knee and she found her feet. ‘Not bad, Kid, not too shabby!’ he growled.

She panted slightly. ‘You’ll find me full o’ surprises.’ She lunged forward, swinging a left into his body as he rose to meet her, his elbow blocking, but her right fist connected with his jaw.

He shook his head slightly. ‘Good!’ he snarled, slamming his palm towards her chest. She braced her arms against his strike, but the force of the blow still pushed her back. She staggered and saw him advance, feigning weakness before unleashing a vicious left hook into his cheek. It stalled him for a few seconds and he spat blood. ‘Better,’ he growled as he grabbed her upper arms, shoving her back into a stack of crates. She bounced off the stack, straight into a right that slammed into her face. Her world flashed white and her vision fogged as tears of pain swelled in her eyes, tasting blood and feeling warm liquid dribble from her nose. For a second she could almost hear again the screaming that stalked her dreams. She tried to shake her head to clear it, tried to raise her fists to protect herself but she couldn’t see clearly and her legs were like jelly. She was vaguely aware of someone shouting, ‘McNally, enough!’ and recognised the voice as Lock’s, but McNally’s fist slammed into the side of her head. Her world blazed white again and finally turned black.

Lock pulled McNally back as Burton and Chai dashed to Kid’s motionless form. ‘I said enough!’ Lock snarled, dragging him away. He swung McNally around and pinned him against the wall.

With a bloodied, split lip and swelling cheek McNally almost smiled. ‘I guess the lesson’s over. 'Scuse me, Padre,’ he muttered, shrugged Lock off and pulled away. He picked up his waist-coat and headed for the access corridor towards his cabin.

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Chai watched with interest as the training began, he was truly curious about Kids past and you could learn more than a little about someone by watching them fight. Not to mention McNally, though this wasn't the 1st time he'd seen him raise his fists. It entertained the cortexer slightly to recall that time had been against a woman too.

He was pulled back from his thoughts and into the present as the first few blows were exchanged. He was quite impressed by the speed and awareness that seemed to come naturally to Kid, though he had no doubt that McNally was just warming up and testing her defences. Chai new plenty about the theory of fist fighting but it had never been something he'd shown a flair for himself. He'd much rather be wielding a pistol or two.

As the lesson drew on his casual interest slowly became concern. McNally wasn't kidding when he said he wasn't going to hold back. Sure Chai had been through the Alliance training programme and the Special Alliance Support induction after that. He'd seen his fellow operatives beaten to a pulp more than once, both male and female, friend and otherwise. Kid wasn't a soldier though and something about the unfolding scene made him entirely uneasy.

Sure, Chai was grateful that he'd been taken onto the crew and didn't want to start kicking up a fuss a few days into his first trip out into a black on the Roisin Dubh, he also genuinely respected McNally as someone he felt he could stand beside in a fight, but this was going too far. As he opened his mouth to call that enough was enough he heard Lock's voice ring out over the impromptu training room. Even as the last blow landed and Kid collapsed to the floor Chai had vaulted over the railing he'd been leaning on and was at Kids side before he knew what he was doing, quickly joined by the ships Doctor. He didn't really think she was anything more than a little bruised up but there were memories tied up in watching someone he cared about slowly collapse to the floor that knotted his stomach and left a cold sweat on his skin.

As the Doctor tended to the unconscious Kid, Chai glanced over his shoulder to see McNally shrugging off Lock. Fearing a scene that could easily turn sour with a few misplaced words Chai swallowed back his initial fight response, as he'd been trained to do, and made a stab at lighten the mood. While attempting to keep a jovial tone in his voice he called over his shoulder to McNally as he turned to leave, "A firm believer in the the school of hard knocks, eh?"

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:38 pm

McNally paused at the head of the ramp and glanced back, nursing his swollen lip. 'Sump'm like that!' He stalked away, his boots echoing off the deck plates.
PreviousNext

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old