Back in the Black.

kid

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:13 pm

Re: Back in the Black.

Kid bent down to give the cat a scratch behind the ears "Hey, Mcnally, was startin to think we'd maybe shaken you loose when the stabilisers needed replacing a couple of days back." She watched the demonstration carefully, then squared up to the bag, slowly copying the moves she'd just been shown. "Kinda like this?" She delivered a punch that made the bag rocket backwards. "Hey, that's much better! Didya see that?" She stepped out of the way of the backswing just in time "I could really get in ter this" she lined up again and went to work on the bag with a will, grinning like a loon.
Nah, ship didn't need those parts anyway...

Preacher

Character name: Shepherd Locke

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:14 pm

Stepping forward Lock braced the bag, his eyes watching Kid's form critically finding himself once again the Sergeant training his troops. He often figured McNally would have done well in the military but he'd never voice such a thing. The man was clearly very private but the new Kid seemed more in line with DuPont, a breath of fresh air.
Assuming, he decided, that she didn't turn out to be a complete loon who detonated the ship whilst they all slept.
"Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition"

kid

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

About ten minutes later, Kid stepped away from the bag, breathing heavily. "Whew, that's a real workout!" She grabbed her water bottle and settled down next to Socrates to watch the others. This ship was a rare thing, she'd not felt the need to sleep with a knife under her pillow once since she'd been on board. Course, that didn't mean it wasn't there. She hadn't chained her door shut at night though, and that had to count for something. "Alright, show me how its done then!"

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Lock braced the bag as McNally laid into it with a flurry of not only straight and hook punches, but also using his forearms, elbows and back-hand strikes, some strikes landing simultaneously. It wasn't that he was showing off, he was merely following a routine, a training routine from a mixture of ancient martial arts and proving only that he was not to be under-estimated.

As he finished the routine, he regarded Lock and Kid. 'It takes time to learn, but, if you want, I'll learn ya what I got learned from all the trainers and teachers I came across.'
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

CEO of Black Rose Freight

Character name: Regan

Regan sat at the top of the starboard staircase, his legs dangling over the edge, watching three very different people making friends around a large bag full of sand. Three people and a cat. At times he'd despaired at ever getting these people to work as a crew. There were still massive gulfs between some of them, the fist fighter and the companion, the preacher and the mate, to name but two, but over the weekend at New Kincardine he'd seen flashes of true co-operation. When pushed, they could all but perform miracles, and he'd seen the revelation of skills he'd never expected were there. It was beginning to look like they might just make it.

Lock glanced up from the bag and caught his eye. Regan nodded his approval, and The Preacher winked. Shiny.

The Captain hauled himself up, and wandered off towards the bridge...
If you ain't crew, you ain't family...

kid

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

"Hells, yes! If'n you can teach me any of that, I'll be impressed! Da used to say I was unteachable!" She paused for a moment "tell ya what, you manage to teach me a trick or two between yer, and I'll buy ya both chow mein at this noodle place I know at eavesdown docks." She stuck out a hand to shake "deal?"

Ship's Pilot

McNally's brow furrowed deeply as he regarded the outstretched hand and for a moment he seemed like he was going to shake, but his fist clenched and his expression hardened. 'You want learnin', Kid, I'll learn ya. But I don't make deals with folks... I ain't the kinda guy you shake hands an' make deals with... that's what nice folks do and I sure as shootin' ain't nice folks.' He landed one last swingeing blow into the bag that almost caught Lock off-guard then turned and stalked back towards the access corridor. He stopped short, looking down along the corridor. 'I'll stand ground with y'all, even her, an’ I'll back you to the hilt, but we ain't never gonna be friends. Y'see, when it comes down to it, it ain’t me being able to pilot a shuttle, navigate the Black, shoot a gun or throw a punch, ‘cause I figure I'm what this crew'll need some day... I’m the scapegoat.' He shrugged his shoulders and rolled his head, a bone clicking loudly back into place. ‘It’s a job I’m uniquely qualified for,’ he said softly and looked to Kid. ‘I’ll learn you what you need, Kid, I just don’t want nothin’ in return.’ He strode off and let out a low whistle which Soc responded to, leaping from the crate and cantering out of the cargo bay after his owner.
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

kid

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Kid frowned briefly "wrong thing wrong person wrong time" she muttered to herself before running to the doorway "Hey, McNally" she yelled down the corridor. "I don't like owin' folk. Bin caught that way a'fore and it ain't happenin' again. Ain't no-one in the 'verse I owe more'n a nod" she said with a slight touch of pride "I figure what you're fixin to teach me might well save me a heap of trouble, maybe even my life, an' there ain't much more folks can owe another." she took a deep breath, trying to get everything out before he interrupted.
"Now, I'm guessin you ain't the sort to take money, even if I had any, an' given my table manners, I don't blame yer for not wantin to share a table. You say you ain't nice folks, well that's fine - ain't no-one better placed to tell'n you. But it means I like you havin a hold over me even less."
"You teach me, an' I'll learn, an' you won't find a more gorram enthusiastic pupil. But know this, an' there aint a thing you can do about it- I'll owe you one" she nodded half to herself, then spun on her heel and went back to inexpertly pound the life out of more sand.

Ship's Pilot

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:15 pm

McNally shook his head slightly, Kid's word echoing around him. 'Once the paper's crumpled up it can't be perfect again,' he whispered, popping the hatch to his cabin and nodding to Soc, the cat darting inside. McNally looked back down the corridor once more, then went inside and slammed the hatch behind him.
Captain Det McNally

Ship's Pilot

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:15 pm

McNally stared at the ceiling above his bunk, Soc tucked up against his right thigh, the small, furry, ginger head resting on his right hand. As soothing as the contact of his cat was, McNally’s mind was in turmoil, whirling with anger, frustration and self-doubt. He had the beginnings of a headache and Kid’s words had fractured his calm. She was too young to understand him, maybe, but he’d teach her some moves and try to explain Seva to her. Maybe she would get it, maybe she wouldn’t, but she would still owe him nothing, so long as she used her talents to help her friends and the ship.

What was worse was the nagging doubt still hanging over him. On New Kincardine he had one chance and he blew it. ‘Spineless gorram weasel got away,’ he hissed. ‘I shoulda just walked up, ripped him a new one an’ sung cock-a-doodle-do, then take the heat after. But no, I had to get all safe-thinkin’ and set barricades and such while that slimy scum-sucking purple-belly got away from me.’ He clenched his left fist, digging nails into the palm and felt the pain flow. ‘You failed, didn’t ya... you let him slip and its all on you for that. She’s blamin’ you right now and the worst of it is that gorram wh... that girl is right, it is your fault. You hesitated and you missed. Of all the stupid sombitches... then when she takes off you end up putting a gun in Chai’s face, an’ for what?’ He slammed his fist against the wall, starling Soc, the cat jumping down from the bunk and glowering at the human.

McNally sat up slowly and regarded Soc. ‘Alright, alright, I’m sorry.’ The cat made a coughing sound and stretched, padding to the hatchway and stretching up at the bulkhead. ‘Oh, now you can’t stand to be in the same room as me?’ Soc stared right at him and yowled, the yowl turning into a yawn. ‘Fine, you get some air, leave me to brood, uh?’ He popped the hatchway and left it ajar as the cat scampered out. ‘You’re only with me ‘cause I feeds ya anyway!’ He slumped back onto the bunk, his back to the hatch, facing a blank wall, no gun to hand, vulnerable and hoping, almost praying... almost but not quite... that Mei would sneak in to put a bullet in his brainpan. Right now he felt like he deserved it, he was the scapegoat after all, the fall guy. He wore no insignia, was genuinely disliked by the crew and had a suitably chequered past so no one would be surprised that he was capable to random acts of violence or petty theft.

Yet the one time in his recent memory when it would’ve been of use he got wrapped up in protecting a lot of folks who in the end didn’t need looking out for and the mark, the Admiral, had slipped through his fingers.

‘Y’ain’t worth a penny cent, McNally,’ he murmured to the wall and crammed his eyes shut. Sleep wouldn’t come but he was so tired, his head pounded and the gentle thrum of the ship now tortured him. ‘Once the paper’s crumpled up it can’t be perfect again,’ his whispered, and began to chant it softly, like a mantra.
Captain Det McNally
PreviousNext

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old