A confession

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:02 pm

A confession

(sorry for any spelling errors, I've no spell check on my crap lap top!)

A week had passed since the Rosisin Dubn had left the party, and Os had not been his usual self since. Where normally would come a smile, a joke, an insult or a playful push, there was instead a quiet man who kept to his own cabin, without accepting guests, after such a major operation to save his life. But today, he called a meeting in the lounge.

He lent against the far wall, clutching a mug of coffee, looking drained and distant, almost unaware as the crew slowly filtered into the room. A long pause came, as all watched the first mate, his only movement was a change of the light within the electro magnet that kept him alive. The captain gave a gentle cough, bringing Os back to room, and after a moment of surprise, spoke.

"I suppose it's clear now that I've not been forthcoming with who I am, and many of you might be now questioning just who I am, and where my loyalties really lie. I think I should correct this now." he began.

At this point, the quiet was broken by the sounds of a chair sharply being pushed back. The preacher standing, and left with his mug of coffee. An awkward silence again descended on the room, and it seemed to take some time for Os to find the strength to speak again.

He sighed deeply, taking a drink from his mug "My full name is Oslden Warard, I was born into a trading family on Osiris. Whilst most people of the core worlds will only hear what the alliance want them to know and don't think too hard on it. Traders though sometimes go out of the loop a little, and other stories reach you, I guess you know. Didn't pay much heed to it at first, would our government really do the things they say? I didn't think so, not at first. Then We started pushing further out. More profit in that, you see..." He took another sip of his coffee and shifted. "We saw for ourselves the desperation of some of the frontier worlds, and then the war started. We kept out the way, best we could. My family entrusted me to my own ship, and so I took off to carry on the family business. A few months in I got a desperate wave. My fathers ship had found itself on a moon where the battle just broke out without warning. They'd fled the moon but the alliance had sent fighters..." Os closed his eyes a moment, and took a deep breath, and downed half of the remaining coffee.

"A short while later some people got in touch, told me they had a few jobs for me if I was interested, and arranged a meeting. They were part of the resistance, who'd heard what had happened to my fathers ship. It didn't seem anything of a risk to start running supplies for them, after all my father had been murdered for it and I goddamn know he had nothing to do with this sort of thing. That's when I really started to hear what the alliance was doing to people...to towns, cities, entire planets of people if it so suited them..." He finished the coffee, eyed the bottom of the empty mug and stepped forward to place it on the worktop, before once again taking his corner, crossing his arms thoughtfully.

"I got in deeper, running information and supplies to and forth from planet to planet. Then a weakness in the military base on Osiris's main manufacturing plant was found. If we hit it right, we could put it out of action for nearly 6 months. The blow could have been disastrous for the alliance, maybe even changed the outcome of the war." He looked to the captain and shrugged apolitically, as if somehow over stepping some unspoken line.

"The attack was one of the biggest movement of the resistance at the time, we thought we were careful. Covered our tracks real tight. But we missed something somewhere along the way, I guess that be a risk of trying to pull off something as big as that, the more people involved the greater the chance of the alliance getting wind of it. It was a trap, the plan worked beautifully, and the guards was as expected. That was until once we had gained entrance into the compound, then they hit us. A fire fight broke out. Most of us were killed, others arrested. Not many of us got out of there, alliance got an id on us all for sure. Id planned for this, you don't go into this kinda thing without an escape if you have the resources. Through third and even forth parties I acquired land on one of the frontier moons, out deep in the black, where there weren't many people, and none who cared who comes or goes. I'd set up home there and that's where I ran too. Kept my head down ever since."

He shifted his balance "I've said it plenty of times this week, but I'll say it again, so it's clear to everyone here. War's over." He looked at each face in turn in the pause after this. "Aint no independence force any more, all just people now. I didn't think the resistance would still be active, and knowing what the alliance have done in the past to planets the resistance was successful in, can't get a figuring on what they were thinking down there. Even if the resistance had succeeded in taking that planet, they'd have signed their own death warrants, and with the brown coats gone, ain't a force that would stop the alliance wiping them out."

He looked to his feet, and in a quiet whisper "I betrayed old friends down there. I didn't do that because I now have loyalties to the alliance, I didn't do it because I thought they might be right or wrong in their cause. I did it to save their lives, their lives and everyone else on that planet." Os looked up to the crew. "You are my family now, my lifeline, my friends. My loyalty is to each and everyone of you. Maybe we'll have work with the resistance again in the future, but we will deal with that if and when we get to it. War's over, ain't no use in any more killings for a cause that's long dead. I hope that answers some of your questions, maybe even calm some fears. Come find me if it don't." At this he lifted himself up, and with a nod to the captain, returned slowly down the corridor to his bunk.

Cortexer
Cortexer

Character name: Elizabeth Caine

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:02 pm

Re: A confession

Poppy sat quietly a moment, the things he said struck a chord, one she had tried to forget. When he'd asked her to get a secure line for the message she had worried about what he had been doing that maybe he was betraying them. She sighed and got up, following him to his bunk. She knocked on the door. "Os? Can I come in?" She asked softly.

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:03 pm

*There is a long pause before a tired "Enter" comes from behind the door. On opening the door and stepping in you find yourself in a room full of memories of a past life. Os has a whiskey in one hand and a photo in another, and after a moment looks up* Hey Poppy, I figured you'd wanna chat, care for a drink?

Cortexer
Cortexer

She nodded. "I'd love one." She said and bit her lip a little. "Actually I came to apologise." She admitted. This wasn't wasy, Os' expirances during the war seemed far too close to her own, she didn't want to think about those things, but she knew she had said some things to Os that she shouldn't have.

*He selects a glass, and with a flash of the bottle to show that its a fine scotch single malt, he pours her a generous glass* I doubt you owe me anything poppy, but have a seat. *He offers her a glass, and places a photo of a girl in a brown coat back on in its place on his shelf. He looks at her face for a long moment before finally turning to Poppy*

Cortexer
Cortexer

Poppy sips the drink before speaking. "I shouldn't have said some of the things I did, and I shouldn't have questioned your loyalty. I know what the war did to people and bringing it back up only ever hurts more people. When you left for your meeting, I didn't know why you were going and I was afraid that you wouldn't be coming back, either you'd desert us and go back to them, or they'd kill you. I'm sorry, I know you're a good man and you only want what is best for people, I'm sorry I forgot that for a while. I'll never mistrust you again."

*laughs painfully* Rubbish Poppy, cos you shoulda mistrusted me. You had no idea what I was doing and no idea why I was doing it cos I weren't telling you nothing. I wouldn't have been over surprised if it was an alliance trap, weren't sure if I was coming back. I know the girl *points up at the photo* but its been 4 years. I won't tell you what the alliance did to people they got hold off...

War's over Poppy. Ain't nothing in the verse to protect these people if they were successful in taking the planet. Last time the resistance was that successful...well...the alliance just wiped the planet out, and there ain't no Independence to come to the rescue now. Stupid girl is gonna get dead. *sighs and takes a deep sip* I look after the kit, and by extension this crew, thats what's important to me now.

Cortexer
Cortexer

Poppy turned away for a moment and gritted her teeth. She didn't want to know what happened to people the alliance got a hold off, her dreams of such things were bad enough without knowing. She took a deep breath and battled back tears. "You did the right thing and saved a lot of peoples lives, that's important. But you're right, this family is what is important now, we only have each other." She said, took a sip of her drink then looked back at him. "I'm working on your fake ID."

*looking over to poppy and noticing the tears, he steps over and places a hand on her shoulder* Thank you, it'll keep the alliance off my back, and thus all of us, won't have to hide quite so hard with that. *He sighed knowing he hadn't saved anyone, only delayed it for a while. An oppressed people don't give up so easily, and if desperation was as deep as it seemed, they'd try again. That is of course, if the alliance don't get her first. He flinched at the thought of it* Sorry, still a touch painful...*he gestured the light shining through his shirt.

Cortexer
Cortexer

Post Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:04 pm

Poppy nodded. "Yes, but much better than the alternative. I was really scared for a while that we'd lost you." She said and stood up. She leant in and placed a soft kiss on his cheek. "I should let you rest."
Next

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old