Aftermath of Boros

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Re: Aftermath of Boros

McNally saw the flash of emotion, almost fear, on Poppy's face and the grip on his shoulder betrayed her sudden tension. It simply confirmed to him that everyone was in strung out shape. 'Okay,' he said softly. 'Leave it with me.' He sighed softly. 'And thanks... for the drink an'... for the company.' Behind him the console chimed and he regarded it indignantly. 'Gorram nav-comp,' he growled. 'Give it a nav-cue and it still drifts a degree an hour until we're so far off the pre-set it ain't even amusin'.' He glanced at Poppy. 'Sorry, I've gotta take care of this,' he remarked as swung his seat to the console and started snapping switches furiously. 'Gonna hafta calculate a parabolic that accounts for the drift. Then I'll rouse Regan, find out where this 'ground' is we can use.' He looked to Poppy once more. 'Listen, can you do me a favour? Have a word with Kid, ask her if she can come up here and run me a diagnostic on the flight control system? I'd be obliged.'
Last edited by McNally on Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:14 am

Carter had told her, that she feels every death on her table like her very first. A pit of grief, of failure, or wanting to be better and to do more. He had told her that he would be more worried if she didn’t care, if she just shrugged it off, because then she would be losing herself.

Alisha patted the coffin gently. She felt better. It had just taken a long while to sink in, if she had a second chance, nothing would have changed. There was nothing different that she would have tried, Molly had the very best doctors, who had played their top game. Seeing the coffin and wiping tears from her red eyes, she knew that she had to be strong, Det needed her more.

Concentrate on the living
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

kid

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Kid was stood outside of the infirmary, just out of sight. She waited til Alisha stepped away from the body and left the room before stepping forward, making noise deliberately so she’d be heard approaching. As the doctor turned, Kid held out a small box with a shy grin and pulled the lid off it. “I got some seeds back on Boros. One of the monks had some in the temple, let me have ‘em for nothin’.” A few tiny leaves showed above the brown earth inside the box. “No guarantees they’ll make it yet, but I’m givin’ them the best chance they got.” She carefully replaced the lid with its small lights and heating unit. “I ain’t tellin’ the others about ‘em til I’m sure they’re gonna make it.” She shuffled her feet for a second, momentarily unsure before the words all came out in a rush “I hope you ain’t holdin’ anythin’ aginst me. I din’ mean to be loud or anythin’, orderin' you around. I realise you weren’t doin’ well. An’ it hadta have been bringin’ back memories. I just thought…well, he needed help more. An’ the best way ter work through can be to help others… I just… I hope you ain’t harbourin’ any ill feelin’. Though you’re welcome to take a swing, if you feel you need to.” She tucked the box securely away behind some pipes and squared up to the doctor, hands wedged into her back pockets. “Won’t even try an’ block. Though I’d take it as a kindness if you avoided the left side, it’s mostly still foam an’ glue down there.”
Nah, ship didn't need those parts anyway...

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:05 pm

The young doctor checked the wound on her side, her shirt abandoned on her table. She had removed the dressing, and was carefully cleaning the area, checking the stitches that pinched her skin together. Naomi had done a good job patching holes. Her stitch work was neat and effective, and Alisha was confident that the job had been done correctly.

The bullet still weighing down her trouser pocket, and try as she might, she could only foggily remember what happened. Bits and pieces that all only kind of fit together. A vague memory of Munchkin, her Dads silver tabbycat climbing the curtains. Of a huge draining needle in her chest as she cried out, and Lock and Det holding her still despite her protests. Of the broken bullet being placed into her hand and held there.

Beyond that there was a haze of confusion, she remembered darkness, the shuttle light, being told to breath. She knew she had tripped somewhere from the grazes on her hands and knees, and she remembers being carried, but not by who.

Maybe I’ll ask what happened she pondered, discarding of the dirty swabs and reaching for clean gauze and bandages. Each movement was difficult and made her twinge with pain. Silently promising herself that only if it got worse would she take pain killers for it.

She left the Infirmary, only for Kid to appear out of nowhere, pulling out a box of dirt with what Alisha kind of hoped was the Strawberries that they had joked and talked about while on Boros. Not had strawberries since I left home

As Kid stumbled through her words, Alisha stood in almost a stunned silence deciphering the garbled strung up sentences that Kid spat out, as the mechanic wedged her hands in her back pockets
“Won’t even try an’ block.” She said.

The young doctor smiled fondly, sadness still shining in her eyes, as she picked the box from its safe haven in the pipes and handed it back. “I’m not going to punch you… Grew up with three older brothers, but I start doing that folks will wonder what it was that broke my calm cool demeanour.”

She paused, “I was scared.” It was plainly said, not able to meet Kid’s eyes, Alisha’s gaze returning to the infirmary with Molly’s body beyond, “I had just failed as a surgeon… He trusted me for this one thing, he put absolute and utter faith in my abilities… and I let him down… I was scared he didn’t want my help, scared to see the blame in his eyes. Scared to see my failure written on his face.” Alisha swallowed, “I still kinda am…”

“I remember every person I’ve ever lost on my table, and I few that I should have been there to save.. Write their names down, and a piece for them, cause someone needs to remember…. Three dead on my table, one euthanized, one brain-death, and two that I could have saved had I been around to intervene sooner….”

“I hope it’s something I never just get used too
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

kid

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Post Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:17 pm

“I was scared.”
Kid couldn't help but smile at that "Scared's okay, there's folks'd tell you scared is good, means you're alive or somesuch. Not so sure I agree with that. You get too much fear an' you get all choked up an' can't do anythin'." She shrugged offhandedly "Though i reckon fear of losin' your patients is what keeps you smart. And you are smart, one of the smartest I've met. I could give you a hell of a pep talk, but I don't reckon that's what you need." She weighed the box of seedlings in her hands for a moment "If you're gonna see failure there, it ain't gonna go away, an' you ain't gonna be able to avoid him forever." She nudged the doctor with her foot "Only one way to find out. Gotta find your courage somewhere Doc"

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:05 am

Alisha smiled, “Only one of the smartest?... He’ll still be there tomorrow right?” Fool. That’s what you thought about Molly too… She received another nudge, slightly harder this time. “I grew up with three older brothers, don’t mess with me” the doctor scowled and raised her fists in mock protest. “Could avoid him forever, Just stay in my room, and refuse to come out” It was said in jest, but that’s what she had been doing since leaving Boros.

“I think I left my courage in a cupboard somewhere… or in my bag…” Alisha muttered as she walked through the ship with Kid, she was fine as she walked. It was when they got to the hatch to the flight deck that she faulted, the doctor rooted to the spot. Poppy walked through, looking like the weight of the world was on her shoulders. Alisha’s eyes flickering downwards to the bottle of Whiskey that was hurriedly hidden.

Another gentle nudge, and Alisha found herself moving forwards through the hatch.

McNally was at his console, flicking switches and grumbling to himself in words that Alisha could not gauge their meaning. The young doctor leaned against the wall with her arms folded, a small smile crept to her face, as she waited for him to finish. Is this what people think when I start mumbling about medical terms…
OOC- Cassie

kid

Ship's Engineer
Ship's Engineer

Character name:

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:07 am

Kid ushered Alisha through the doorway, waited a moment to check she wasn't going to run back out again, and then set off after Poppy. She caught up with her in the mess. "Hey, got a question for you. Is it possible to put a little something into the programming on the nav computer that allows for drift? Or at least can calculate and predict it? We've been having problems keeping a straight course, an' I'm hopin' to all hells it ain't the lateral dampners finally going." She wiggled her feet on the metal floor "Only as it stands, McNally's makin' course corrections every couple'a hours. An' that could get more often. 'Less we can figure somethin' out, he's gonna hafta be doin' that every hour or so til we land an' I can get at the dampners without gettin' zapped." She hid a grin as Poppy started working through the problem. Overriding Nav computers was meant to be tricky, they didn't want folk doing it on a whim. That was another one getting reinvested in the ship.
Kid had thought hard since they left Boros, and had finally realised that all her mistakes had been for one reason. Her little impromptu family was falling apart, and after Finally finding one after so long, she couldn't handle that. And damned if she wasn't going to do everything she could to haul it back together.

Ship's Pilot

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:39 am

McNally was so busy muttering, he didn’t realise Alisha was there. ‘Velocity-arc coefficient is… two-point-five. So relative deflection course will be, let’s see, sixteen minutes drift at a thrust component twelve percent. So positive drift is… one-ninety-two. Factor in the VAC, so that’s two-point-five by one-niner-two… four-eighty? Four–eighty, a whole eight degrees?’ He sat back finally. ‘Nine hours transit to the next mid-course correction… need to adjust by fifty-three-point-three minutes of arc.’ He glanced at the nav-comp and allowed himself a knowing smile. ‘Sometimes I even impress myself.'
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:11 am

“Only sometimes? You’re a hard man to impress it seems” Alisha was stood leaning against the back wall next to the hatch with her arms crossed, staring past him into the black beyond. She was dressed in a striped shirt and smart trousers, her white doctors coat, bag and stethoscope nowhere in sight. A rare occurrence. There was a slight nervous smile on her lips, as she pushed off the wall and winced at the motion, her left hand tentatively touching the bullet wound.

Walking forwards Alisha sat in the co-pilots seat, still not able to meet his gaze. As she lowered herself carefully she caught the distinct whiff of whiskey very briefly, but she didn’t say a word, she had no right to say a word. Suddenly her mind fumbled for something to say, words that wouldn’t form, and the slightly awkward silence grew.
OOC- Cassie

Ship's Pilot

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:29 am

McNally felt his face flush slightly as Alisha spoke. He swung his seat around and regarded her with a slightly nervous look. How long had she been standing there, listening to him mutter as he raced the nav-comp for the correct deflection to account for the inertial drift? It was only when she sat down that her realised she was still smarting from her wound... and that she was somewhat 'out of uniform'. 'In spite of all my sins I try to avoid being prideful,' he said at last. 'I seen plenty of proud folk fall an' a number of 'em fall hard. Anyway, I ain't seen hide nor hair of ya since we boosted from Boros. Are you okay?'
Captain Det McNally
PreviousNext

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old