Aftermath of Boros

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:23 pm

Aftermath of Boros

Alisha lay on her bunk in just her shirt and trousers. Her waistcoat, white coat and first aid box abandoned in the corner of her room. She glared tearfully at the ceiling running through the events of the three days prior.

Sometimes, people just give up… Some people can’t be saved.

Alisha couldn’t wipe the memory of Det’s face as Molly passed. The look of pure anguish, his cry of disbelief and pain, as his blue grief stricken eyes snapped up as she had asked what the time was. Alisha’s bottom lip quivered and tears threatened to spill from her own eyes at the mere thought of it all.

The young doctor was hiding. She hadn’t even gone to the Infirmary, just straight to her room, and discarded everything that made her a doctor. It wasn’t folded with care and love for the job, just slung in the corner out of sight.

A weight of responsibility, sick and twisting sat in the pit of her stomach. Logically she knew there was nothing more she could have done, that not everyone can be saved. She knew that between her and Doughnut, and Carter there was nothing that could have been done. The best damn doctors worked on her, and had done everything. It had been such a long and stressful surgery, and short of a miracle, Molly McNally could not have been saved. Even in a Core world Hospital she couldn’t have been saved. But still it was there, still Det’s Grief stained face burned into her memory, illogical guilt making her feel sick and vile.

I can save John Doe, Jane Doe, and half a dozen people I will never see again… But I can’t save those that really matter…
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Ship's Pilot

Character name: Det McNally

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:09 pm

Re: Aftermath of Boros

As the Roisin Dubh broke orbit, McNally checked the update from the Naval Academy advising him of patrol routes, the information coming to him from cadets in Molly’s detail loyal to Admiral James. They shared only a fraction of McNally’s grief but their kind words were of some comfort as McNally plotted a convoluted course to Hera.

On returning to the ship he had shuffled to the flight deck and settled into the pilot’s seat. With a grim demeanour he had undocked from the platform over Boros, signed off to the other crews, and broke atmo, painfully aware of the precious cargo, little Molly, lying in a body-bag in the infirmary. He concentrated on the nav-computer and the route references, set the course-correction alerts and set the autopilot for the departure run, finally sitting back and staring into the black. A tear ran down his face, a long line of loneliness from the corner of his eye, and the remnant pain from the stomach wound was insignificant compared to the agonising loss and emptiness. He had hoped that nothing in the ‘verse would threaten Molly, expecting her to be safely ensconced in Marauder’s Reach, maybe even in Retribution, safe, or as safe as she could be, on Hera, but she had taken a different path, taking a duty and becoming an officer-cadet in the military.

After the war she had asked him to tell her the stories of his exploits and he told her what he could, never with any embellishments, omitting only the more sensitive of facts or the most brutal of events, yet he hadn’t expected to inspire her to military service. Perhaps it was losing her husband, a grain merchant killed on Shadow when he was completing a trade. Perhaps the hardships of living on a war-ravaged world like Hera had taken a toll. Or perhaps it was just a golden opportunity and she had taken it.

Seeing her had shocked him, especially in the uniform of what he saw as the enemy, but he couldn’t help himself feeling proud of her… and she had made him ever more proud when she had taken a stand. When she stumbled into his arms, wounded, he had seen the light in her eyes and he had taken her to the one person he knew he could trust… Dr Alisha Corbon. He had returned to the fight, hunting the enemy, OASIS agents and corrupt police. The call, when it came, hadn’t concerned him, Alisha had already told him the wound was superficial… except that it hadn’t been.

There were complications but Alisha was still working on Molly and, while Alisha continued to operate, Molly had told him about Admiral James being held captive by OASIS operatives and the bribe for the police. She had come to tell them that and McNally passed on the information while he stayed with Molly, talking to her until she recovered. Only when he saw the look in Alisha’s eyes did he realise the young doctor was on the verge of giving up, but he had pleaded with her to keep trying. Alisha called Doughnut and Carter to assist, Lock came in to keep Molly from death. They worked tirelessly, Lock all but demanding that Molly come back to them, Doughnut, Alisha and Carter using all their skill and knowledge… but to no avail.

When he heard Alisha ask, ‘What’s the time?’ he felt his heart break and his one constant in the ‘verse was taken from him. Little Molly McNally was gone, her life given so that Admiral James could be saved, but that didn’t matter, not to him. His baby cousin was dead, the girl he had grown up protecting and guarding, the one person who had recognised him when he found himself back on Hera after the war, the one constant in his life… the one person he knew he could turn to who had never judged him, just accepting him the way he was, with all his faults and flaws. She died as she had lived, putting the needs of others first, no matter what the cost… and she had paid the ultimate price.

He so wanted to wallow in grief and self-pity, to withdraw and live down his reputation under everyone’s prejudiced eyes, but he could almost feel Molly’s admonishing gaze on the back of his neck, never judging, just trusting that, deep down, Derek Edwin Theodore McNally knew what the right thing to do was. He wanted to turn around, to see her standing in the hatchway, arms folded, head cocked on one side, regarding him with an almost long-suffering expression, but with a slight smirk of someone wiser than their years. She wouldn’t want him wallowing, she would’ve wanted him to grieve and then move on and make her proud, live up to her memory.

He slowly reached his feet, turning and finding the hatchway empty. He stepped from the flight deck and crossed the quiet mess area, paying no heed to anyone there. Instead he went into the infirmary, to the coffin-like refrigerated container in which Molly was temporarily interred. He slowly sank to his knees and slumped beside it, resting his forehead against the chilled surface. He swallowed back his pain and tears for a few moments, pressing his hand to the cold polymer… and he smiled. ‘Sleep well, Molly McNally,’ he croaked. ‘You’re safe now, no one can hurt ya. You did good, y’know, you helped us save the Admiral. Now you’ve done your duty so… you can rest now.’ He felt sobs shake him but managed to hiss. ‘Time to take you home.’
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Cortexer
Cortexer

Character name: Elizabeth Caine

Post Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Poppy had been keeping to herself for the last day or so. Okay to people had kept using the word 'family' but it just didn't feel like it anymore. Something had to be done but as of yet she wasn't sure what.

She had spend some time looking through her cortexing gear, some of it was fried from the EMP blast, some of it was just looking a little old. Time to get some new bits then, though she knew they had salvaged a cortexing unit so hopefully the Rose would soon have a stable connection.

But she did eventually head out from her room and headed for the cockpit. She made sure McNally was in there and that Corben wasn't with him, before sitting down in the co-pilot's chair and placing a bottle of strong whiskey on the dash. She pulled her knees up to her chest and looked at the rough-around-the-edges man and gave a soft smile. "I thought you might want a drink, to Molly and her memory." She said. She had only met Molly briefly but she knew how proud Det had been and how crushed he had been at her death.

Ship's Pilot

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:05 am

McNally glanced at the bottle and then looked to Poppy. 'Shouldn't be encouragin' me to drink and fly,' he muttered, taking up the bottle and unscrewing the cap. He paused then, gazing into the black. 'Her lights gone out of the 'Verse,' he said finally and took a gulp. 'It's up to me now.' He replaced the cap and passed the bottle to Poppy. 'So, you're back where you belong.' It was a statement, simple and unequivocal. 'S'good to see.'
Last edited by McNally on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Det McNally
‘If you can’t do somethin’ smart, do somethin’ right... if you can’t do somethin’ right, do somethin’!’

Ship's Doctor
Ship's Doctor

Character name: Dr. Alisha 'Scrubs' Corbon

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:49 am

Alisha had been avoiding visiting Infirmary A since they had left Boros, convincing herself that she didn’t need to leave her room if she didn’t want too. She had been hiding from reality, and everything that had gone wrong, hiding from the look of pity in Chai’s eyes, in Det’s eyes. Hiding from her crew, her family. Hiding from Det, afraid to see the emotion in his eyes, her failure written on his face, because that makes it real. Afraid to feel the pool of guilt sitting in the pit of her stomach. Still she replayed in her head, the look of uncontained grief on his face. He didn’t blame her, that much she knew, when Det had climbed onto her table and trusted her enough to be put under her knife. And silently she had worked, and he had commented on her lack of chatter.

No… Det doesn’t blame me

She just needed to come to terms with it all for herself. Alisha had actively avoided Molly when she had visited, tried to convince herself that it was so that Det could spend time with her…. Thinking there would always be another chance. The truth was, she was scared, scared that this person who meant so much to him, wouldn’t like her.

Not that it mattered now. It was just something she will have to live with.

Too much happened in those three days landside. And try as she might she couldn’t push any of it out of her head.
Everything was falling apart, and she couldn’t grasp it all. It was like holding water in cupped hands, try as you might, the control you have trickles away.
Had the drawer been open, her resolve would have faltered, and she’s had drunk herself to a stupor. A part of her wished she still had the option to hide in such a way. Because dealing with it all while sober was much much harder.

Alisha sighed and looked up at her infirmary, slowly pushing open the door to see Molly’s cold grey coffin there. Refrigerated so that the body didn’t rot on the journey home. The Young doctor approached, “I’m Sorry… Molly McNally…I know it doesn’t fix it, and I know I can’t bring you back, And I know doesn’t change anything….” She trailed her hand across the cool exterior.

The young doctor was silent for a long time, her voice finally leaving her lips as a whisper “I’ll look after him you know… I won’t let him withdraw into himself… I’ll give him something to keep flying for, I’ll help him keep his purpose…” A solitary tear trailed down her cheek, “I’ll look after him…. I promise I will”
OOC- Cassie
IC- Dr. Alisha "Scrubs" Corbon- "If you can't do somethin' Smart, do somethin' Right... If you can't do somethin' Right, do Somethin'"

Cortexer
Cortexer

Post Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:00 pm

"That's what auto-pilot is for." Poppy said taking a swig from the bottle. "It's where I belong, but don't feel much like home right now, not sure anywhere in this gorram 'verse does." She said with a slight shrug. "Molly seemed nice, calmly confident - like you. She'll be missed by anyone that ever met her." She lifted the bottle took another sip and then held it out for him. "I'm sorry Det."

Ship's Pilot

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:37 am

McNally smiled tightly. 'Molly was... unique. She cared when everyone else didn't,' he said, swallowing back his grief. 'Even when things weren't workin' out, she never got downhearted... she'd just smile and say it'd be okay in the end.' His head dropped. 'I always tried to look out for her when I was on Hera. I just never expected her to be on Boros, how could I know she was there?' His fists clenched adn unclenched as he screwed his eyes tight shut. 'I let her down because I wasn't around to protect her. They killed her but I let it happen.' The comms console chimed and McNally's glimmering gaze darted to it, one hand accessing the comm line while he donned his head-set with the other. It was Caine.

'Hey MacNally, look sorry to disturb you, just wanted to say... I was sorry to hear about Molly, if there's anything ya need or anything I can do... all you gotta do is say.'

McNally shrugged slightly. 'Thanks,' he said emptily. 'Next time we run across any OASIS agents, maybe we can bring 'em some pain, uh?'

Caine nodded. 'Well, you know where I am.'

McNally said, 'I do,' and abruptly closed the comm-line and took off the head-set. He looked to Poppy. 'Calmly confident? Is that how you see me?' He shook his head firmly and chuckled softly. 'We're all in strung out shape, have been since Zenith I reckon, and Higgins Moon and Boros haven't let us heal, just cut us up more... an' deeper. We're needin' to get our heads together before we hit the dirt on Hera or we're just gonna be driftin' along, rudderless.' He sat back slightly. 'Like this bucket of bolts on autopilot.'
Captain Det McNally

Cortexer
Cortexer

Post Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:35 pm

"It's how I used to see you." Poppy said getting out of her seat and giving McNally a hug. He may not want one, but he seemed like he needed it. "We all seem to feel the same way on that one." She was quiet a moment. "What about Os' home base? He left it to Regan right? It should be well out of the way and quiet." She suggested.

Ship's Pilot

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:08 pm

McNally almost broke when Poppy hugged him but he swallowed back his grief once more. He needed to be strong, he needed to be in control, he needed to be concentrating on something. Molly would've understood, admonishing him but only because she would've wanted him to rest, to stop... to grieve. But he had already decided there would be a time and a place for grief, and that place was the Keweenaw Heights Cemetary, a few miles outside Marauder's Reach, back on Hera. Until then he was going to push all the pain and suffering away, lock it up, hold it back, swallow it down. Beat it until it submitted.

His mind processed Poppy's words slowly. 'It's how I used to see you.' He didn't want to know how she saw him now, not willing to risk learning from her a truth he knew already but kept in check like his grief, a truth he had to come to terms with at some point, just not yet. 'We all seem to feel the same way on that one.' He nodded once, the crew, his crew... his family... was in a mess and he was barely able to cope with just flying the ship right now. 'We all seem to feel the same way on that one.' Her words echoed and he felt his throat tighten once more as tears threatened. What else have I gotta do? he asked himself. What else have I got to give?

'What about Os' home base? He left it to Regan right? It should be well out of the way and quiet.'

It took another few seconds for Poppy's words to sink in and he suddenly felt a swelling of guilt. Os was a jone yee yet McNally had cared little for the man, seeing him as a hangover from a war that, as Donut had pointed out on Boros, no one had won. 'And the band played Waltzing Matilda,' McNally whispered.

Poppy frowned. 'Uh?'

McNally shook his head. 'I'm just regrettin' that I never gave Os the time o'day,' he said, his voice a hardened croak. 'Never knew he had a place neither,' he mused then, clearing his throat and working the tension out of his left shoulder. Keep moving, a moving target is harder to hit, he thought, and only go to ground only when there's safe ground to go to. It was an old mantra from his days as a jam-jockey with the Screamin' Eagles.

Then he felt the hairs on the back of his neck tingle, as though Molly was right behind him, arms folded, smiling and looking like she had all the answers and she was waiting for him to catch up. 'You know what you need to do, Derek Edwin Theodore McNally,' he heard her say. 'You've always known what you need to do... you just need to start doing it.'

He shivered slightly and blinked, rubbing his eyes. 'It'd do us no harm to hole up someplace for a day or so, let Kid check this hulk over and get us all some time without lookin' over our shoulders.' He glanced at the comms console. 'Shall I get Regan on the bitch-box?'
Last edited by McNally on Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Det McNally

Cortexer
Cortexer

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:26 pm

Poppy was torn, on Boros she had barely spoken a word to Regan, and she wasn't sure she wanted to. He had betrayed her trust and joked about the one thing that would put her on edge, But he was still the boss and anything they did she guessed they should run by him. She chewed her lip a little as she realised she was gripping McNally's shoulder tightly. She nodded. "Yeah, I guess so."
Next

Return to Roisin Dubh- Black Rose- Old